Thanks so much, Skerr. Clay's CJ5 Build thread keeps me going!
I am going to need some expertise and guidance from the forum on my rolling chassis...particularly the frame. I have uploaded 25 high res photos into an album that y'all can pour through and make comments on as you see fit. I have pretty much decided on going with a fiberglass tub down the line (unless I fall into a pit of money and buy an aluminum chassis
) so I am wondering in particular if I will have to chop off the back end of the chassis that has been modified or if I can keep it.
My understanding is the fiberglass tubs (would be using the deluxe tub without the tailgate opening from 4WD) doing really use the body mount locations but rather some kind of rail system? If this is the case I might be able to get away with some welding and POR-15 on the back end, rather than buying frame sleeves and the rear cross member?
Here are the PICTURES
Click on the magnifying glass in top right corner of pic for full resolution.
1. Overall side shot
2. worst body mount, looks reparable with a washer, no?
3. WTF is with all this slag? Are all stock CJs like this or was this more "modding"? Are these stock shackles? (pic is driverside front)
4. Poor picture, but what are these fabricated shackle braces for? Was this actually stock?
5. Same as 4, but passenger side
6. top view of front diff
7. front view
8. front pass brake...lots of surf rust.
9. Tranny and xcase mounting
10. alternate view of #9
11. Xcase. Is it supposed to be at this angle? Any guesses about where the fluid stains are from?
12. Passenger rear shackle. Again, is this stock?
13. gas tank area. Is this about where the tank is normally mounted? This tank is obviously new, but is it a replacement jeep tank or was it jerry rigged to fit. You see that U channel toward the rear above where the rear Xmember would go. This and the bumper mount are welded SOLID in there, so I am wondering if mounting a fiberglass tub on it is going to be possible or if I have to rip it out and weld in a new Xmember.
14. driver side rear shackle
15. rear brace?
16. Frame rot (only I can see) in backmost corner driver side. This is where the frame and rear Xmember meet. What say you about repairs in my league?
17. rear shot of jeep
18. front pass view of spring. These look skinnier than the back.
19. are these U bolts in the right place???
20. more shackle welding for you to look at and tell me if its stock or not
21. Hairline crack
but wont know how bad it is still I wirewheel it. Any thoughts or opinions on what I should look for while uncovering it? How to fix it? Not sure I can get a welding bead in there.
22. rear driveline angle. I don't know how bad this looks because I have no reference.
23. another shot of the driver rear frame rot, sorry that it didn't get grouped with the other.
24. driver rear frame rot, from back of vehicle near bumper view
25. Transfercase drop? This cant be stock. What is the best way of keeping this area safe from rocks and stumps? Is there a skid plate for this area for CJs like my YJ had? I didn't see anything from a quick google...
Thanks so much for taking the time to look at these and comment. I am in over my head and need solid advice. Thanks!