PoisonBanana - My no tools, budget or clue frame-off. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > PoisonBanana - My no tools, budget or clue frame-off.

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 04-24-2012, 09:53 PM   #16
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

BTW where do I go to get new Torx hardware? McMaster? It's going to be 1000 bucks in bolts by the time I'm done throwing away all these. =(

Kastraelie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #17
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerhoundvm View Post

Some other things you'll need sooner or later: a torque wrench, 3# hammer, torx bits, grenades, and a 12 pack of your favorite beer.
Oh crap... I'm dyin'!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2012, 11:17 PM   #18
jeepcliffband
1977 CJ5 

Do yourself a favor and go to Sears and pick up a set of tools... plus a crescent wrench (even tho I did enjoy the duce clamp plier rig)

This is what I got for my build
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...5&blockType=G5

If you have the right tools you are going to spend much less time on your build = Getting on the road quicker

Plus after you complete your build you aquire an admiration for your tools that you feel good about.
jeepcliffband is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2012, 07:45 AM   #19
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kastraelie View Post
BTW where do I go to get new Torx hardware? McMaster? It's going to be 1000 bucks in bolts by the time I'm done throwing away all these. =(
You don't, unless you're dead set on an original restoration (which judging from your pics so far you're not). Trade them out for grade 8 hex head hardware when it's appropriate, grade 5 otherwise. For those spots like your hinge in the picture, got with allen heads.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2012, 08:18 AM   #20
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Heat you will need heat to remove stubborn bolts and nuts. Get your self. Propane torch from Home Depot. This will be were they sell copper pipes. Either get propane (blue bottle) or MAP gas (yellow bottle which is hotter). Use this to heat the nuts and bolts to help in removal. I have found very few that I could not remove with heat.. It will be your best friend.
waterdowg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2012, 08:49 AM   #21
Bobs85Reny
1985 CJ7 

x2 on the heat. As far as the stripped bolt you would have been better drilling it out instead of hacking the hinge. the bolts are cheaper to replace. If you drill a hole through the bolt you can use what is called an easy out to get the bolt out. If that doesnt work you can then drill it all the way out and re tap the threads.
Bobs85Reny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2012, 09:03 AM   #22
STResort
1984 CJ7 

Welcome aboard. I'm pretty close behind you and have gotten good advice from everyone here.
STResort is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2012, 09:18 AM   #23
iluvcowjuice
1979 CJ7 

No sweat ok the dewalt tools. While craftsman hand tools are great and the warranty is great, I find their power tools to be much lower quality than dewalt.
iluvcowjuice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2012, 10:26 AM   #24
mbeck94
1977 CJ7 

If you do have a welder friend, a good way to get hex bolts out is to weld a 3/4 nut on the head and back it out, this heats it very hot and gives a good head on it
77 CJ- sold
mbeck94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2012, 10:59 AM   #25
jpd1899
1978 CJ7 

Always a fan of good head. With beer or anything else that involves

The other thing you will need is band aids, antibacterial cream, and a bottle of good hand cleaner.

Good luck on the build.
jpd1899 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2012, 11:25 AM   #26
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kastraelie View Post
Had to get creative on this one as I didn't have a wrench big enough:
That's the kind of ingenuity you'll need for this project. Your gonna do alright!
You should get yourself some nitrile gloves, hand cleaner wipes, and a ton of old rags. A bench grinder and an air cut-off saw would be good choices too. And if you don't have a reliable digital camera get one of those too and document everything with pics before you take each area / section / thing apart.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2012, 06:13 AM   #27
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

I had know idea of the amount of advice I would get from you guys when I started this. It is much appreciated! I took most of it and the day went by much faster--especially because of the heat torches. I bought one of the yellow bottles with the trigger...which was awesome but eventually it stopped working with the tip installed. So I ran back and bought a blue "manual" propane torch...and while less convenient, works fine.

My buddy Jeff heard I was working on my Jeep, and he came over to play, so I had some extra help.

Mkay, so first on the agenda for the day was getting the tub off (which turned out to be the ONLY agenda). This might have been a tad bit easier, but this Jeep has been owned by several people who put their own flavor of "making it work" into it.

After identifying that this electric fuel pump, or sending unit, wasn't the current one, I was able to snip snip it (this was mounted in the back, rear, quarterpanel.) Keep in mind I'm not as experienced as y'all are so it took me a couple times checking from front to back to make sure it wasn't hooked up:

As I was trying to remove body mounts, I realized something wasn't quite right. I'm not sure WHAT that is...but I don't think the tub is supposed to mount this way unless its some CJ thing. See the square tube in the back?

Here is another image. I doubt that is a factory weld, but I suppose it could have been repaired?

What do you guys think?

Second issue I came across was a leaky carburetor. It is kinda hard to see where the fuel is leaking from the picture, but it does show the little droplet if you look hard enough. To help in diagnosis this picture shows the passenger side of the unit. It was a decent amount of fuel for sure:

Third issue was some kind of leak (oil?) coming from the head and sparkplug. I don't which plug it is called, but it is the one closest to the passenger seat. The sparkplug was really loose. This is what made me want to pull the engine:

Jeff suggested that I buy a re-ring kit (at the least) since I had to replace the faulty head gasket anyways (we both hope that was what is causing the leak). The engine, btw, is a 92. I am pretty sure it is a 350 based on everything I have seen and read online, but then again I'm sure you guys could tell by one picture instantly. I am only letting you guys know the year in case it becomes relevant.

It is starting to look less like a Jeep...but only marginally:

So who makes this body lift?

Interestingly enough, the body mounts were the longest part of the process. I'm not sure how they are supposed to bolt to the body from the factory, as ALL of the mounting places on the tub had rusted through. The people who installed this lift used square bolts like I have never seen which just rotated around--it was impossible to see them and getting them to hold while unbolting the rusty nuts was a huge challenge. Many of them I grinded off, but even that was difficult on some where they used FOUR "normal" rubber body mounts and a ton of washers. I couldn't safely get through them with the grinder so I used a small hacksaw.

More "progress" on removing stuff:

Getting the steering column shaft out was a pain for me, because getting it off was less intuitive than the other stuff. I eventually figured out if you tugged on it long enough it slid out of a special sleeve I had to loosen:

The reason I purchased the crane before I knew for sure I was going to pull the engine was to get the body off. I used the inner-front seat bolts (which were the ONLY two good bolts in the tub that hadn't rotted away, btw). I got this idea from another frame-up build on these boards

The tub being gone revealed some of the stuff they used in the body lift. Yes, this is a light switch cover:

...I hope I don't get that desparate or lazy trying to finish.

I took a minute to admire our destructiveness:

Another question for y'all. I'm not sure how the wiring harness thing works. Is this a Jeep wiring harness or a Chevy? Did they adapt the Jeep one to work with the Chevy? Can you guys tell from these pictures

I would love to build my own to make sure it is neat and tidy.

Oh, lastly, with everything off I was able to identify (I think) the transmission from the number of bolts on it and the general shape. It looks like a TH350, which I hear are pretty durable. I'm going to be excited until I hear otherwise.

OK all for now, up next is the engine teardown!
Kastraelie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2012, 08:48 AM   #28
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

You've done a great job so far. I can't believe the body mounts!! I am constantly amazed by the standard that some people live by. Keep up the good work.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2012, 09:05 AM   #29
kconnor123
1978 CJ7 

Ahahaha, that is awsome! A light switch cover. What would ever make a person think that was an acceptable idea? At least it was UL listed.
kconnor123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2012, 09:18 AM   #30
Scram-Can
1983 CJ8 

You have a big project going on! I wish I was that brave. Lol. Last week I discovered out of the 11 body mount bolts only 3 were still there and of the 3 only 1 was actually tight. Since I've started this project it's been one bazaar thing after another. Good luck on the rest of the restoration.
Scram-Can is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.