PoisonBanana - My no tools, budget or clue frame-off. - Page 19 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > PoisonBanana - My no tools, budget or clue frame-off.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-21-2013, 07:33 PM   #271
JMcDonaldKnives
1980 CJ7 

Fill it, run it through the gears, check level, repeat til full, then drive it to fully run it through all the gears, and then check it again. Make sure to fill to top of hot line after driving it. And since it was used I would recommend putting in a bottle of Trans X before you get it completely full. It will help recondition everything. Don't be surprised if you put almost a case of transmission fluid in.

My Build Threads

1980 CJ7 4.2L T177 D300 D30 AMC20 (under construction)
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/knifeboy-jeep-build-thread-1387906/[/url]
1989 YJ 4.2L T177 NP231 D30 D35 Pro Comp 3" lift 32/1150/15 BFG AT
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/knifeboy-yj-build-thread-1720362/[/url]
JMcDonaldKnives is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2013, 02:17 PM   #272
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

Rewinding a bit back to mid November, I had my bud, Cory, come and visit to get his Jeep tuned up. We decided, among other things, to pull his drive train and rebuild it--which ended up being more work than he expected.

I actually thought the progress went well, and there was no coincidence at all in wanting to have a spare parts Jeep in my driveway for a few weeks.

After the rebuilt of the transfer case and transmission I scrubbed it with some nice acid, used the Por Phosphate etch (metal ready) and it was ready for paint:

Shiny D300:

Yeah I think I will put it in my Jeep....oh if only :P

Cory is actually pretty smart. He had to leave for home a couple weeks back and only had a Saturday to come and "work on" the Jeep (read: pick up from Josh's shop). So I had to get the driveline back in myself. Jeff did help me a bit, but not enough to spare me from back injury

In all seriousness, it was nice to take a break from my Jeep and get Cory's tuned up. It was also awesome to get to tear into the D300 and the T5. I feel like I could rebuild a simple manual now for myself if I needed to.

Back to "work" on my clunker (still a couple weeks back):

I cleaned up the old tranny a bit since it was on the bench. The TQ doesn't spin really free, so I think the pump might be damaged. I'm not sure if it would be cheaper to sell it as is or to rebuild it myself and sell it. Gotta think about it. Also going to sell my GM distributor, since it looks good (albeit dirty) and wasn't actually doing anything bad. I just replaced it for troubleshooting sake.

My Frame-Off
Kastraelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #273
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

As an AWESOME thank-you present, Cory got me a set of those SUPER handy ratchet wrenches I have been coveting. The 9/16 and 1/2" ones are the handiest tools ever!

Thanks bud!

My Frame-Off
Unread 12-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #274
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

For peace of mind I went ahead and replaced the flex plate and flex plate bolts while everything was all out:

The old transmission was nice to have around, I needed to make measurements for buying and modifying my new one:

I was kind nervous about taking a cutoff wheel to my brand new B&M transmission's output shaft...but I didn't have another good alternative. Way too much work to replace the shaft, and too expensive. Let's hope it remains balanced.

The last step was to even the cut out and to chamfer the edges of the splines for easy insertion. Now the shaft will not bottom out in the transfer case, and it mates fully with the female splines:

This time around I decided to "prime" the torque converter. I read everything I could find about whether I should or not, and decided it wouldn't hurt so I went ahead and did it. It took quite some effort to put one quart in, as it was very hard to bleed:

My Frame-Off
Unread 12-26-2013, 02:35 PM   #275
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

I installed the TC on the transmission, making sure that it fully engaged with the pump. I then measured 1" from the TC bolt holes to the edge of the bell housing as per the instructions. With Jeff's help, we worked the transmission into its new home, but there appeared to be a 1/4 gap between the flex plate and the TC.

I was a bit concerned about this, but after some reading this is normal. You are supposed to have a .185" max gap between the two to allow for some slippage so the TC doesn't bottom out in the pump and destroy it. I used some thin stainless steel washers (one on each bolt) to shim it to the proper gap.

Do you know what is awesome? Having a drain plug on your transmission pan.

After spillage, draining, refilling, spilling some more, and other things I have about $200 in transmission fluid in this project so far. No lie. This is just the tip of the 30 quart iceberg:

When it mixes with the standard ATF it makes this awesome purple color. Here is the trickshift going in blue:

Jeff came over and it was time to try and start her up. I got one of my seats bolted in and I stopped to take a picture of how Jeep-like it was looking:

I didn't get a chance to put my hands on it, but Dave came over and Jeff and him played with the timing gun, new distributor, and new carburetor. It was running like crap and knocking like crazy!

We took the cap off the distributor and found that it was not seated right on the pin bearing from the factory. There was ground-up plastic dust everywhere in the inside. I cleaned it up and it looked like there was no permanent harm. After we got it back in there was no knock...which made me very relieved. 8)

The belt has a good 2-3" of vibration where the alternator is, and squeals a bit. I am wondering if this is safe or if I need to spend time and money getting everything straight in there:

The Jeep was still having a hard time breathing. Dave thought there was something wrong with the carb and that I might need to send it back. I was bummed by this so we called it a day.

My Frame-Off
Unread 12-26-2013, 02:44 PM   #276
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

On Christmas eve morning I decided I was going to try and drive the darn thing. Jeff came over and I topped off the tranny fluid, and shifted through the gears...nothing. I had about 13 quarts in it by my guessing and there was already some fluid in there. But, after a few more attempts, BAM. The tranny started shifting! It was pretty exciting and the new 350 and shift kit feels REALLY great...it really kicks in hard and you can feel all the gears.

I noticed the Jeep was still leaking from somewhere ATF pretty bad but I didn't care...I was going to drive it. So I did!

IT'S A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE!

I can't tell you guys how awesome it felt to drive my Jeep around the block after all the blood, sweat, tears, and money. But most of you guys know because you have done it yourself. Awesome, huh?

I doubt I went over 10MPH, but the Jeep felt great. Granted I was totally elated but I did get to see that the steering felt awesome--the tires turned nice and smooth and nothing felt like it vibrated too bad.

But...it does leak......everything......like crazy:

Today I focused on fixing the leaks. I found that ATF was massively leaking from the coolant fittings on the tranny. I screwed those in a bunch more, replaced the hoses and worm clamps, and tightened it all up. I also bought a bottle of Lucas Stop-Leak power steering fluid. They guarantee it stops leaky seals with two bottles or my money back. We shall see.

As for the oil pan near the crank...I'll seal that up next time I change the oil. No sense wasting the break in oil again. I don't plan on going fast enough in it to blow burnt oil everywhere anyways.

My Frame-Off
Unread 12-26-2013, 02:50 PM   #277
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

The carb seems to work for me. I adjusted the screw in the front. It needs to warm up first or it doesn't want to stay on, but this is normal I think. Maybe it fixed itself?

My Frame-Off
Unread 12-26-2013, 05:39 PM   #278
JMcDonaldKnives
1980 CJ7 

See, told you that you just needed more trans fluid, lol. Went through all of that for nothing, bwahahaha!! In all seriousness, glad to see you finally getting to drive it!!! And don't worry about the leaks, its just marking its territory, lol.

My Build Threads

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/knifeboy-jeep-build-thread-1387906/[/url]
Unread 12-26-2013, 06:44 PM   #279
bptactical

All what the stop leak will do is swell and soften the seals. Temporary fix at best usually held in the same light as pepper or egg white in the radiator.
Something you do before you sell it.
I just went through all 19 pages of this.
You have learned a bunch.
Have you enjoyed your "Apprenticeship"?
bptactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2013, 11:35 AM   #280
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcDonaldKnives View Post
See, told you that you just needed more trans fluid, lol. Went through all of that for nothing, bwahahaha!! In all seriousness, glad to see you finally getting to drive it!!! And don't worry about the leaks, its just marking its territory, lol.
Maybe! Though I think something was wrong with the pump, because I got NO fluid out the coolant lines. I got fluid almost immediately with the new one. Though if it was working then someone will be very happy to get it so cheap from me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bptactical View Post
All what the stop leak will do is swell and soften the seals. Temporary fix at best usually held in the same light as pepper or egg white in the radiator.
Something you do before you sell it.
I just went through all 19 pages of this.
You have learned a bunch.
Have you enjoyed your "Apprenticeship"?
As long as it doesn't hurt the gearbox I should be OK though, right? My issue is that I will have to cut out the frame to get the steering box in, as it is welded like CRAZZZZYYYY into the front end. Everywhere it touches, there is a huge gob of slag and you know how tight it is in spots. No grinder will be able to get it out.

I figured if it leaks, it leaks, I just carry fluid with me. But if stop leak doesn't hurt it...?

What do you think? At any rate, YES! I have enjoyed my apprenticeship. Can't wait for the next project.

My Frame-Off
Unread 12-27-2013, 07:32 PM   #281
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

I have another question for you fine folks:

My accelerator pedal is a full 7.5" at its mean point to the mean point of the brake pedal. This seems excessive and it takes a scary amount of foot motion for me to work the brake... is this normal?

Is this something I can adjust? It doesn't seem like I can adjust either very far...I wonder what I could have done wrong?

My Frame-Off
Unread 12-27-2013, 07:38 PM   #282
JMcDonaldKnives
1980 CJ7 

If they are stock pedals then its normal.

My Build Threads

Unread 01-01-2014, 01:25 PM   #283
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

So yesterday I wanted to take the Jeep for a real ride (one at LEAST 5 mins ) since it was my last day with Jeff before he moves back to Arkansas.

I figured I wouldn't have a lot to do--just get the exhaust modded and bolted up to be safe, so I started on that early before Jeff got there:

I had some left over galvanized sheet that was already pretty much bent right from being used as a patch panel (rust farmer) in the Jeep at the beginning. I got two holes drilled and bolted it to the clamp bolts--making an excellent heat shield to protect the tranny coolant hoses:

Getting the passenger side bolted up was an ordeal--it took me over an hour which was longer than it took to mod the pipes. There is just not a lot of room over there with the starter, engine being closer to the frame than the driver side, and the stupid emissions majigger in the block sticking out.

After that I did something easy...installed the air cleaner. It seemed pretty straight forward but I had these pieces left over...NO CLUE what they are for. Any insight?

So Jeff was over at this point and I thought I could turn the Jeep on and run her, being that I thought I had fixed my leaks. Boyy was I wrong. I got the motor to turn on for a bit and there was a huge puddle of fluid. I got back under there and noticed that my kick-down cable was loose...the bolt I used was just too short to grip the threads.

Because of the location, I had to bolt it in by feeling alone, which was tricky due to the angle and the fact there was ATF everywhere. It took about 40 mins but I got it.

STILL HUGE LEAK.

I was annoyed, but calm and finally was able to diagnose the leak by sticking my face right next to the exhaust output and swallowing 1000CFM of smoke while using a flashlight to pinpoint the leak. It was coming from the pump out fitting again. NO WORRIES, this will be EASY!

I had direct access to the worm clamps via a 1.5ft long 1/4" socket drive I had rigged up for this purpose. I got the hoses out and draining into a reclaim bottle in record time.

Over the next five hours I battled with the second worst part of this project so far...the hose barbs. If they were a standard socket size they would have been out in a minute, but they stripped almost instantly despite me being careful and using every wrench, socket, and driver in my chest. There was almost no room to use tools on them except stubby wrenches (though not for lack of trying with my other tools).

I gave up and went in search for more weaponry:

Although a good idea, that screw extractor design didn't work (although it bit better than my tornado style ones. In the end, the 14mm socket got it out. Turns out the barbs were 13.5mm...yeah, screw the engineers who did that to me.

Now I needed to fix my problem...it turns out the tranny's fluid ports need metal crush washers to seal them, and then I needed a flare and reverse flare for my barbs. I made one up and got it as TIGHT as I could with tons of Teflon and a smidgen of silicon:

It worked, or it seemed to. There wasn't a flood of ATF anyways...but now I had a new...old problem. The carb was acting up again and I couldn't get the motor to idle. It would just die without throttle input, and after a few starts it wouldn't even do that...just backfire and pop violently. Sadly, it was time for Jeff to go and he didn't get a ride.

So brings me to today. I got up and it was my day off...but all my friends were hungover and didn't want to play Civ V. So I decided to see if I could get the Jeep going and wake the neighbors. I figured it was fair game for hitting my house with bottle rockets all night and making the dogs go berserk.

Now I trust Dave and Jeff when it comes to this car stuff. They know more than I ever will. But I figured the options I have are limited and wanted to see if the vacuum ports were hooked up properly. I messed with it for a while...trying to see if I could find help on the internet, but all the Quadrajet's I found looked different so I just did some guessing.

It fired up immediately and sounded great...I was shocked. HOPEFULLY it continues to do so and it wasn't just coincidence.

So I put her in reverse and went for a ride!

Click Picture for Video:

I think it sounded good. Not sure if there is a knock under acceleration or if its just the exhaust pointed at the road bouncing up.

Oil pressure was at 45, which may be a bit low, and my electric fan keeps melting the fuse. I went for a short ride with my wife and managed to hobble back before it overheated.

I did turn on my heater, but it only blew cold air. Not sure why? After I parked the hoses above the motor seemed warm. They should go directly into the heater core and back. It is possible I suppose that my water pump isn't doing its thing? All the hoses were hot or warm though... Maybe I should get an impeller to give me a reading.

Other than that...I was SUPER happy that it drove as well as it did. Braking will take some getting used to, but the 7.5" difference between accelerator and brake isn't that big of a deal with the automatic (haven't driven one for years). I found my foot over the brake the whole time and the jeep didn't need much help to putz around the hood. Steering was good too. I probably didn't go over 25 but it was pretty stable considering two of my tires have no air in them at all and the other two are off (I wanted to make sure it cleared my garage before airing up).

--------------------
NEXT UP!!

I can't call it done yet (a jeep is never done, but you know what I mean...more or less drivable), there are a few bugs I need to work out that I would love to get input on:

1. Fan blows fuse and turns off.

-- I am going to start by calling the guys I bought my wiring kit from and asking if swapping relay and fuse to 50A will be OK, or see if I need to rewire it all with heavier gauge stuff.

2. Belts squeal like mad under load and when fan blows air on them. Rubber "dust" coated the front of my motor which I assume is from belt wear.

--No idea how to fix this. Literally. Tighten? Loosen? Throw the motor away because the pullys and brackets aren't perfectly lined up?

3. Figure out why the oil pressure is reading at 45. The level seems right and I added a quart today cause my dipstick told me to.

4. be sure water is flowing

5. Gas and Speedo are wonky...not sure how much I care but it would be nice to fix.

6. WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT HUGE THUMP/TORQUE at the end of my video? It basically felt like the tranny kicked into a gear even though the motor was off.

Thanks guys! Happy New Year!

My Frame-Off
Unread 01-05-2014, 04:19 PM   #284
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

This is FABULOUS! Oh how I remember the maiden voyage after all the toil. Congratulations, Josh. Well Done, Lad!

Damn I love those wheels!

And don't use the leak stop. FIX the problem. Suck it up...

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2014, 04:30 PM   #285
JMcDonaldKnives
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
And don't use the leak stop. FIX the problem. Suck it up...
+1

My Build Threads

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.