PoisonBanana - My no tools, budget or clue frame-off. - Page 18 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > PoisonBanana - My no tools, budget or clue frame-off.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 11-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #256
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kastraelie
Ok then there is still hope! I have like 6 in it now tops.

Only thing is that I don't think the pump is working because I took off the cooler hoses and it doesn't shoot out liquid.

:?
Most likely because 2 of those qts. Went to the torque converter. Add 2 qts. Repeat the above procedure, check the fluid level. Add 1 Qt. from there on out.

Bill

1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 08:38 AM   #257
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

Alright, I've put all i can put in...about 8qts. fluid is backed up all the way up my fill tube and won't go down. Ran it for about 10 mins shifting through the gears.

Still no fluid out the coolant ports.

Is there a way to prime it when the tranny is installed?

My Frame-Off
Kastraelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 10:02 AM   #258
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

That I don't know.

?'s
Did you remove the tranny from the engine?
If so, in what sequence did you put it back together?

Basically did you bolt the converter to the flexplate first, and then Bolt the tranny on ( this is the wrong way).

Looks like google may be your friend .
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
2005 TJ Rubicon.
Unread 11-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #259
JMcDonaldKnives
1980 CJ7 

And did you prefill the torque converter with 2 quarts of ATF before bolting it all in? If not then there might already be damage and a few parts will have to be replaced.

My Build Threads

1980 CJ7 4.2L T177 D300 D30 AMC20 (under construction)
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/knifeboy-jeep-build-thread-1387906/[/url]
1989 YJ 4.2L T177 NP231 D30 D35 Pro Comp 3" lift 32/1150/15 BFG AT
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/knifeboy-yj-build-thread-1720362/[/url]
JMcDonaldKnives is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2013, 05:45 PM   #260
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcDonaldKnives
And did you prefill the torque converter with 2 quarts of ATF before bolting it all in? If not then there might already be damage and a few parts will have to be replaced.
I'm under the impression the TC doesn't need to be filled prior to install. I will say my knowledge of the TH350 is about zero, however, I do know about the 700r4 and th400. I drained the TC's when they were removed, and didn't refill them before installation didn't have a problem.

This was based on the tranny guy who helped me install a manual valve body in the 400, and rebuilt the R4 with a new converter.

Bill
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
Unread 11-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #261
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

So going through my worklog...

Yeah, we bolted torque converter to the flexplate, then bolted the tranny to the TC.

I've been looking for a new tranny in the meantime. As Skerr suggested, I have been looking into the 700R4, but price, install, and benefit is holding me back a little.

My Frame-Off
Unread 11-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #262
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Keep looking. Check CL. It will show up. I promise.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2013, 10:56 PM   #263
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

Well I bought a transmission. B&M TH350. I kinda wimped out after I dropped the money and wanted to return it and rebuild my own...doesn't actually look too hard to be honest. Anyways it would cost way to much to return so I am going to roll with it.

Only thing is picking out a Torque Converter has got me all confused. There are so many opinions on the net and I don't know what to listen to...

I'm very easy on my Jeeps, on and off road. I tend to let the motor and gearing do the work by itself and give it very little gas. a 350 chevy is badass motor for a Jeep...but I would be happy with a small 4 banger to be honest...

I'm worried about getting a TC with a stall speed so low that it overpowers my brakes, but I also don't want one that requires me to load up on the RPMs...especially with my big tires and short drive shaft.

I'm also broke...so a $200+ TC is out of the question....

Ideas or suggestions? Opinions?

My Frame-Off
Unread 11-30-2013, 07:47 AM   #264
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Wish I could tell you something, but I know nothing about this stuff. Bill just rebuilt a TH400 and installed it... he can probably tell you. Or maybe swatson454. I can't think of anyone else with autos.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 12-09-2013, 01:09 PM   #265
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

I'm more stuck than ever on this.

It seems I need to know stuff I can't find out easily -- my current stall speed, my cam specs, and my vehicle weight. I need to start making some educated guesses. xD

My Frame-Off
Unread 12-14-2013, 06:18 PM   #266
swatson454
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kastraelie View Post
I'm more stuck than ever on this.

It seems I need to know stuff I can't find out easily -- my current stall speed, my cam specs, and my vehicle weight. I need to start making some educated guesses. xD
I'm REALLY late to this thread and I apologize. You do some class-A work by the way.

Are you able to answer the above questions? Your intended use and how you envision its behavior is probably the most helpful.

Let's worry less about the weight, cam specs, compression, etc. and focus more on what it did before, what engine/gearing/tire changes you've made and how you'd like it to behave now.

This isn't exactly my forte but hopefully I can help.

Shawn
Unread 12-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #267
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Hey Shawn. Glad to see you.

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 12-14-2013, 08:00 PM   #268
swatson454
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Hey Shawn. Glad to see you.
You only say that because you can't see me. I look like a snake's *ss that's shedding its skin. I would scare your children. No Bueno!

Reminds me of this movie but I don't know why.

You fight so damn hard to keep harmful people out of your life and the SOB is calling from inside the house?

Again, not a clue how it relates to this thread. Perhaps I'm feeling creepy

Shawn
Unread 12-14-2013, 09:50 PM   #269
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatson454 View Post

You only say that because you can't see me. I look like a snake's *ss that's shedding its skin. I would scare your children. No Bueno!

Reminds me of this movie but I don't know why.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d-_Z75Do7c

You fight so damn hard to keep harmful people out of your life and the SOB is calling from inside the house?

Again, not a clue how it relates to this thread. Perhaps I'm feeling creepy

Shawn
Let me put my tinfoil hate on quick your trying to read my brain waves over the forum
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #270
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

Thanks guys. I kinda just went away on business and just ordered this:

http://www.amazon.com/JEGS-Performan...rque+converter

A couple of my friends just said don't sweat it...get something as close to stock as possible.

Thing is, I didn't see a lot of new, stock spec TCs...

Anyways.

I worked on the Jeep yesterday morning and today for the first time in a while.

The engine had a huge knock, but it was the new distributor. The cap wasn't seated right from the factory. Got that fixed.

Got the new transmission in. I filled the TC with more or less a quart of fluid, then popped it in on the pump--measured and got exactly 1" from the bolt holes on the TC to the bell housing. This is what the manual wanted.

Only hiccup is that there was a 1/4" gap between the TC and the Flex Plate. I was stressed about this but lots of people online say a gap is normal, but there is some dispute on how much is acceptable. 3/16 seems to be the majority vote. I was GOING to put a washer as a spacer in between there but forgot. I've run it since then...hope I didn't destroy it.

The engine oil pan leaks like a SOB from everywhere. Looks like I didn't get it sealed up with silicon as good as before. Hard to see when its installed--dark and oily. Power steering leaks from the input shaft seal, and the transmission leaks from the fill tube. Dangit.

ANYWAYS

So I wanted to see if I could drive the darn thing today. Played with the carb a bit and I'll just ignore it for now. Dave think's it is bad. I don't know yet.

I put 5 quarts of B&M's ultra expensive BS fluid in it and shifted through the gears. It's not engaging. Then I read the instructions a few more times and I think its worded funny but the idea is you put 5 in while running THEN add MORE till its full. The tranny seemed to have fluid in it when I got it--not full by any means but it drained out half a quart after it installed...so I think there was fluid up in there?

I'm not going to panic. I'm going to go shim the torque converter a teeny tiny bit, buy more fluid, and see if I can get the transmission to engage.

If it doesn't I am going to push the Jeep backwards into the Bayou.

My Frame-Off

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.