PoisonBanana - My no tools, budget or clue frame-off. - Page 14 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > PoisonBanana - My no tools, budget or clue frame-off.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 10-02-2013, 06:28 PM   #196
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Man, that's great work. Nothing like getting major problems conquered! PLEASE be careful. Not that you aren't, but life can change so suddenly, instantly. Get the GOOD jackstands. Tall ones. Your tail lights look great, and so does the armor. Well done, Son!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 07:28 PM   #197
OldCJ
1978 CJ5 

That one pic looks like you are chiseling the the Stay-Puft marshmallow man in the throat..I giggled. A lot.
OldCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #198
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Man, that's great work. Nothing like getting major problems conquered! PLEASE be careful. Not that you aren't, but life can change so suddenly, instantly. Get the GOOD jackstands. Tall ones. Your tail lights look great, and so does the armor. Well done, Son!
THANKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCJ View Post
That one pic looks like you are chiseling the the Stay-Puft marshmallow man in the throat..I giggled. A lot.

My Frame-Off
Kastraelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #199
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

My phone is on the fritz and it only stores 20 pictures now before overwriting them.

Got some more stuff done under the hood:

I also got the speakers installed. I don't have an audio system or anything, or plans for one, but I wanted to get some decent marine speakers installed so if I ever do get a system I wont have a headache later. Glad I got this out of the way--it was an ultimate betch to get them in.

I had to modify the parking brake forward mount by cutting a chunk out of it. It is still quite sturdy, but this allowed my speakers to fit, which are kinda deep. I also stacked some rubber mounting grommets I use for computer hard drives between the speakers and the dash. I did this for two reasons, firstly to reduce buzzing that I got in my old YJ. Secondly, these new speakers have...?tweeters? that are positional and stick out a bit, so I couldn't mount them totally flush without the spacing.

Done with the dash!

I didn't make Cruisin the Coast, which I really tried for, but there is always next year. I still got to cruise around in Jeff's scrambler though. He rubbed it in the whole time.

There was something like 9000 registered classics there. Each day of the week there was a show in a different location. It was awesome.

I offered a guy $100 for his Nutmeg sun visors. He said no &&#@ way. Offer stands here too guy.

My Frame-Off
Unread 10-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #200
bucklagrim
1975 CJ5 

Who makes that armor you installed on your Jeep? I looked through the pages of your thread, but didn't see you mention the manufacturer. Your project is looking good!
bucklagrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 04:57 PM   #201
JMcDonaldKnives
1980 CJ7 

I do believe my old CJ7 sun visors are nutmeg but don't quote me on that but I'd be more than willing to part with them. Project is looking great!!

My Build Threads

1980 CJ7 4.2L T177 D300 D30 AMC20 (under construction)
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/knifeboy-jeep-build-thread-1387906/[/url]
1989 YJ 4.2L T177 NP231 D30 D35 Pro Comp 3" lift 32/1150/15 BFG AT
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/knifeboy-yj-build-thread-1720362/[/url]
JMcDonaldKnives is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 09:55 PM   #202
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucklagrim View Post
Who makes that armor you installed on your Jeep? I looked through the pages of your thread, but didn't see you mention the manufacturer. Your project is looking good!
Smittybilt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcDonaldKnives View Post
I do believe my old CJ7 sun visors are nutmeg but don't quote me on that but I'd be more than willing to part with them. Project is looking great!!
If you got a good set I'm good for the money, I can paypal you the cash.

My Frame-Off
Unread 10-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #203
JMcDonaldKnives
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kastraelie View Post
If you got a good set I'm good for the money, I can paypal you the cash.
If you look at the pic of the rear seat its the same color as the visors. I'll get you pics of the visors tomorrow to see if you are interested in them still.

My Build Threads

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/knifeboy-jeep-build-thread-1387906/[/url]
Unread 10-12-2013, 08:42 AM   #204
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kastraelie View Post
I also got the speakers installed. I don't have an audio system or anything, or plans for one, but I wanted to get some decent marine speakers installed..... it was an ultimate betch to get them in.
ahhhh... the eccentricities! Keep going Kid. I bet you provide Jeff with a fairly high level of entertainment value! Glad you had the Old Guy's Jeep to ride around in, and the show looks pretty amazing. Now tighten up...

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #205
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
If you look at the pic of the rear seat its the same color as the visors. I'll get you pics of the visors tomorrow to see if you are interested in them still.
Spice. Sorry. I've gone this far with the nutmeg, there is no turning back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
I bet you provide Jeff with a fairly high level of entertainment value!
Yeah...everytime I look over my shoulder he is shaking his head and chuckling under his breath.

My Frame-Off
Unread 10-13-2013, 04:08 PM   #206
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

Gotta nother update that I will do in two posts.

I've been working on this and that, trying to get it safe enough to drive to my driveway where I can wash it for painting.

Stuff like the brakes. I got the parking brake cables hooked up, but I need to redo the main one that goes to the back junction. I have a brand new one that Jeff was going to use for his CJ5, and it is pretty darn long--longer than where it should be for the CJ7. I can make it work but I'm going to use big zipties.

Getting the rear drums off and getting those new parking brake cables in is a lot of fun Here they are being bled:

I bought new front calipers ages ago. I should have checked the bleeder valves when I bought them because the driver's side would have been returned. It was seized up something fierce. Heat, hammers, and vice grips couldn't get the sucker out so we ended up bleeding it through the brake line, which wasn't easy.

I knew I was going to get transmission fluid all over me when I dropped the pan to replace the TH350 filter, so I decided to get grossed out over the gear oil instead. I've done this before for my YJ, and I don't think there is anything as gross as gear oil as old as me:

It will take months before the smell in my shop goes away

I don't know how to tell what gears I have. Maybe one of you experts could take a crack at it from the numbers?

Here's my Jeep's bum all bolted up with her new knickers:

Onto the transmission pan. I had to daintily get all the bolts loose and lower it without it spilling all over me. No such luck.

That body armor is all sorts of useful!

There was a ton of crud in the transmission pan. Super gross--so I scraped it clean and then I replaced the filter which was also in poor shape. The filter was that square thing with the two bolts in the picture, in case it helps.

Next I needed to fill the gas tank. This was a very slow process as I can't hook up the filler pipe yet. I should have put it on temporarily but I was dumb and kept transferring gas from my 5 gallon to my 1 gallons. xD Then I poured gas down the delivery pipe so the pump wouldn't get airlocked:

Next post coming in a min...

My Frame-Off
Unread 10-13-2013, 04:16 PM   #207
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

Need some help with this one...

So here is the back of my fuel gauge:

I'm assuming B stands for battery, T stands for Tank, and the ground symbol at the bottom stands for ground, though I have it grounded via the mounting post. Anyways, what the heck is the 12V for? That's what I have going to the battery now...because I think that these are 6v/12v switches from a willis. Anyways, what do you all think?

Secondly, my gauges keep blowing my gauge fuse...and I don't know why. I just have the tach and fuel going through 14 gauge wire to the fuse box on a 5 amp fuse. I tried switching to a 10amp fuse but it also blew. What could be causing this?

My Frame-Off
Unread 10-13-2013, 04:22 PM   #208
JMcDonaldKnives
1980 CJ7 

Looks like possibly 4.10 gears if I'm reading it correctly

My Build Threads

Unread 10-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #209
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

In the meantime until I got some help I decided to burn some time doing this and that. I cleaned and organized the shop a little...

Hmmm, my wrench collection sure went up from...0...since last year.

...and bought a much bigger vice. I had to reinforce my already heavy duty workbench some more (make it sledge-proof xD) so I got some big wood.

If I think of my broken trailer as a big work bench then it doesn't sting so much.

It was still early in the day so I went back to the Jeep. I started with the brake pedal light button...OMG that was a PAIN to adjust with the assembly and wiring already in there. Stupid plastic housing for that part made it way more difficult than it had to be...

After the brake light I decided to adjust my throttle cable, as the pedal was too hard to push in. To do this I needed to shorten it dramatically.

I wrapped the SS cable in painters tape to hacksaw through it (obviously I removed the throttle cable first)

That was the easy part. The hard part was getting the collar back on the SS, which was starting to fray against my best efforts. The collar is designed to be TIGHT, so I had to get creative. Firstly I clamped it down with my flaring tool:

Then I used gorilla tape to smush it flat enough so I could slip some heat shrink over it:

After heatshrinking I used a wrench and swear words to get the collar back over...

...But I was successful. Then I crimped a new electrical eye over the wire, trimmed it, and used an E-Clip to make sure it wasn't going anywhere:

The throttle is MUCH smoother now--almost perfect in fact.

When I get some help on that fuse/gauge problem I will be able to move forward!

My Frame-Off
Unread 10-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #210
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Looks like possibly 4.10 gears if I'm reading it correctly
Sweet, Thanks! How can I read it from that mess?

My Frame-Off

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.