PoisonBanana - My no tools, budget or clue frame-off. - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > PoisonBanana - My no tools, budget or clue frame-off.

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 09-09-2013, 12:04 AM   #181
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

Wet sanded and touched up Jeff's Jeep in the sand paint...which I since decided on doing for myself:

I still have my high dollar paint sitting in my office but with all the steps and my lack of faith in my water separator...I'm just not going to bother. Besides, I have Jeff's CJ8 to practice on.

He put a bunch of work into it...and it looks great. Yes Jeff, you have a Scambler. Lord it over me why don't you:

My Frame-Off
Kastraelie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 12:40 AM   #182
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

BUT...Back to mine.

I'm going to look at the pinion angle again...I don't know how I messed up despite measuring twice and cutting once but it still isn't quite right. I am going to try and fix it with the 2 degree shims...can't go much further 'cause I already have barely any slip:

I also tweaked the springs a bit and got them like they should be:

I'm not going to lie...I have been riding instead of wrenching. Wrenching on the Jeep anyway:

Something else I did that I might not have mentioned. I bought a trailer for cheap and worked on it a little:

I bought it to get the tub done professionally, but as you guys saw from my previous posts I decided to tackle it myself.

OK so quick recap...got the tub on once and for all and all bolted down. I mentioned this before and gave pictures but I had almost no trouble adapting the YJ tub for the CJ7 frame. If you can find one for cheap in good shape, I highly recommend you go this route!!! The major issues are the rear crossmember, which needs to have new holes drilled (or just buy one made for the conversion by Jason aka ChiefWaho) and the windshield/dash. Now the windshield/dash are not going to be a big problem for me (knock on wood) because I don't care about hooking up the defroster like stock. The dash will have some false bolts for looks, and some new ones drilled out to match the YJ windshield tie down mounts. I COULD have had DD Fab fix this for me, but I didn't specify it from lack of research. Oh well.

So next I decided to get that brake reservoir bolted to the firewall. I was worried that it wouldn't match the YJ tub, and I was right, but it was close--and with some minor drilling Jeff and I got it to work like it was made that way:

Note that we didn't have to worry about guessing where the holes went...the YJ ones for the brake pedal assembly were our guide.

Then came the steering column and shaft. First I had to figure out what kind of gearbox I had. I had to do this by counting the splines:

It looked like a 36 spline, 13/16 OD shaft...for 1970's GM trucks. I actually had no idea but the Tech guys at Flaming River helped me identify it over the phone by asking me some questions.

I decided the easiest way to make sure I got what I needed was to get the column in and then buy the shaft second, to make sure I got the right length.

Old versus new:

Shiny. Also expensive. But nice. I pretty much knew I was going to go with a new one after tearing into the old one and seeing more things broken than working, and also being shocked that a steering column was twice as complicated as a V8 gas motor... xD

Because the dash needed to be put in at the same time as the steering column (because it uses some of the same bolts to mount on the brake pedal assembly) I decided to drill my holes and paint it:

Double D Fab makes their dashes out of heavy steel...it was TOUGH to cut through!!!

Layed some paint down after some prepwork:

Now that I have my camera back...I need to take a good picture of the dash...it looks great! Very happy with it:

In that last pic you can see the billet steering column holder. It is nice, like everything FR makes. Also expensive. The only thing I was kinda miffed about was their steering shaft. I got a collapsible one that you had to cut to adjust (BTW if I had known this - my own mistake - I would have ordered it at the same time as the steering column) which was fine. My issue was that because of the FR Column output shaft was unique I had to buy THEIR shaft and U joints. Again, they are REALLY nice. Super nice...but it was really out of my budget. If I had an OEM column I could have bought a new shaft for 35 bucks.

Here is a picture of it from a weird perspective making me look sqashed.

In this pic I am "adjusting" the length:

I think I cut it to 36" overall...not 100% on that though.

Here is what it looked like installed:

The column and shaft are definitely the fanciest things on my Jeep by a good ways. xD

My Frame-Off
Unread 09-09-2013, 12:57 AM   #183
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

Although I don't have all the pics yet, I did clean up the VERY rusted and beat up parking brake assembly. I primed it, then Jeff helped me remove one of the tack welded threaded posts that had broken in the back:

I also put in a 150amp alternator...eventually. We had to figure out how the heck it went back on the motor, same with the power steering box which I also cleaned up and stuck back on. The brackets were quite varied through the years and it obviously had been jimmied in before. THIS IS WHERE THIS THREAD WAS EPIC!!! I was able to piece together the puzzle from past pictures.

Here is another view with the radiator and front clip where it should be:

I used those zip ties for radiators to secure the transmission cooler to the front of the main radiator. They work great for the small stuff.

In this pic you can see more of the same, but now the battery tray is in. Unfortunately the battery trays for the CJ and YJ are not the same. I had to decide to modify my old tray, or the firewall. I modified the firewall in the end but it was tricky as it was double walled in that area and some bolts and seams got in the way. I'll take another pic of this later...

Next Jeff and I stripped my old windshield of useful parts...wiper arms, internal mechanics, plastic trim, motor, and hinges which went to Jeff for his CJ8's worn out ones. Before I got to cleaning the wiper motor I wanted to test it. Jeff hooked it up to the battery, but we just got sparks. He noticed it wouldn't spin and took it apart. It was time for a new motor:

Unfortunately I did a poor job recording all the hours that went into the Jeep this past week. Jeff worked his butt off with me and we put in some good time in the mornings before my actual job.

Other stuff happened this week though, such as this sunset by my house:

Couch shopping with my parents for their new house...I liked this one:

Went to WA to help build some boxes for my company:

Smoked a new favorite:

Looked at a wiring diagram for my new-old Ford Taurus fan...more on that later

And sold an old friend...

My Frame-Off
Unread 09-09-2013, 06:49 AM   #184
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

NO WAY! A whole page all at once!
I don't know what's up with your driveshaft. You're not going to be able to run it like that. And I like your new trailer. And your bike is pretty. And the couch looks comfy. And the sunset is beautiful. And I want a couple boxes. And Jeff's 8 is sweet. And you do look squashed!
Nice progress, Dude.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 04:36 PM   #185
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

Thanks dude. Your thread is always an inspiration on how things can get done right if you keep chippin' at it. I am pretty stressed about the driveshaft though...

But my shiny new wiring harness and fusebox distracts me from the stress for the time being:

My Frame-Off
Unread 09-11-2013, 10:09 PM   #186
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Yes Sir, I can see how that would affect you! Nice fuse box.

FWIW, I watched a YT video on how to shorten a driveshaft, and then I went out to the shop and did it. Sometimes ignorance is a GREAT blessing, because you haven't been told you CAN'T do it. With all that you have accomplished let me comfort you with the fact that you CAN do it. You need about 3" of slip... that's 1 1/2" either way. You'll set the DS so it slips 1 1/2" in and 1 1/2" out, more or less. Watch a couple videos and see what I'm talking about. There are some details to consider.

Worst-case scenario... Tatton's charges $150 for a nice DS delivered. And that's what I ended up doing after Clay twisted his shaft twice!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 09-14-2013, 10:49 PM   #187
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
.... You need about 3" of slip... that's 1 1/2" either way. You'll set the DS so it slips 1 1/2" in and 1 1/2" out, more or less....
.....And that's what I ended up doing after Clay twisted his shaft twice!
This is great information...thanks for standing by me, Skerr, I really appreciate you.

I think I have an idea on how to get myself out of this mess without anymore cutting.

I have those two 8 degree shims, as well as the 2 degree shims from the lift kit. I think I will use the 8 degree shims backwards to get my pinion angle down...

THEN I will use some 1" rubber body mounts on top of my transfer case mounts which should make up for the width of the shims.

I really hope this plan works!

My Frame-Off
Unread 09-15-2013, 12:06 AM   #188
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Good build very interesting so far
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2013, 05:51 PM   #189
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kastraelie View Post
This is great information...thanks for standing by me, Skerr, I really appreciate you.

I think I have an idea on how to get myself out of this mess without anymore cutting.

I have those two 8 degree shims, as well as the 2 degree shims from the lift kit. I think I will use the 8 degree shims backwards to get my pinion angle down...

THEN I will use some 1" rubber body mounts on top of my transfer case mounts which should make up for the width of the shims.

I really hope this plan works!
Just do it. Quit whinin...

Unread 09-23-2013, 06:21 PM   #190
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

Today is a day for whining...wet sanded my hood and got it perfect. Then in an accident it fell over into the ground. Going to strip it and do it again--same with rear axel...going to have to cut out the spring perches and redo them.

My Frame-Off
Unread 10-02-2013, 12:17 PM   #191
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

OK so onto fixing my pinion angle...here is where it has been sitting:

So gotta lift up the jeeps again to get busy, Jeff came by to make sure it didn't fall on me:

I did some measuring with my angle locator:

I used polyurethane bushings from a high end body mount replacement kit to raise the transfer case:

The angle is now better. If I keep it lubed up my super shorty DS is going to work! If not, then I'll get a D300 and gain 7 or so inches.

Then I happily moved onto other things, like wetsanding my hood again:

Getting the dipstick installed and some other odds and ends:

Oh, here is a more functional pic of my battery tray. I do have it bolted up top to the firewall, as well as the standard pole brace at the bottom--butin the back I have another rubber bushing as an isolated mount:

So if you go back to page 1 of my thread, you can see that the PO put my 4x4 shifter basically in the passenger's floorboard. I didn't want Jeff kicking it into 4 low on the highway so I decided to move it back to the tranny hump. To do this I had to do some redneck engineering of my own:

Definitely was easier with Jeff's help. I recommend a friend to help with putting on a new cover and new linkages:

"custom" linkage arm:

This is what it looks like under the tub now:

And on top:

Then I drilled and tapped out my new shifter knob"

Whpew, now onto the cable shifter.

My Frame-Off
Unread 10-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #192
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

Of course I need to clean and paint the linkage...I'm not a barbarian.

My Frame-Off
Unread 10-02-2013, 12:22 PM   #193
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Moving right along. Looking good.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #194
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

So, I literally almost was maimed. Jack stands are so important!

I was fine tuning some adjustments on the rear diff pinion and getting ready to bolt up the springs. We miscalculated how much give was in the springs and when jeff let out the gas on the crane the jeep came crashing down within 1/4" of my neck and spine. My jack stands weren't even actually long enough to help in this instance...what saved me was a bottle jack I had put under one of the rear spring plates.

It is good to learn about your mortality every now and then without experiencing it...but dang. I dunno if it was the claustrophobia of being under something but it scared me a lot worse than other close calls I have had.

THANK GOD

My Frame-Off
Unread 10-02-2013, 12:54 PM   #195
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

Thanks, Coiz! Good to hear from you man.

One last update before I get back out there:

I had to install the body armor so I could paint the tub or make adjustments. Because the driver's side corner came pre-smashed I had to apply liberal hammer. I started with the block and eventually gave up and just used the 4lb sledge. 0

This stuff is heavy. I don't know how you could do it with one person without getting extra frustrated Unless, of course, your jeep is perfectly straight. Mine is now.

Cutting out the 4.5" holes for the taillights took literally all day and several bottles of lube.

Had to use the good ol set of chisels to clean them up before cutting through the tub, otherwise the hole saw blade wouldn't safely cut:

Except for the shop being clean, and ready for the final stretch, this is what it all looks like right now:

My Frame-Off

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.