BUT...Back to mine.
I'm going to look at the pinion angle again...I don't know how I messed up despite measuring twice and cutting once but it still isn't quite right. I am going to try and fix it with the 2 degree shims...can't go much further 'cause I already have barely any slip:
I also tweaked the springs a bit and got them like they should be:
I'm not going to lie...I have been riding instead of wrenching. Wrenching on the Jeep anyway:
Something else I did that I might not have mentioned. I bought a trailer for cheap and worked on it a little:
I bought it to get the tub done professionally, but as you guys saw from my previous posts I decided to tackle it myself.
OK so quick recap...got the tub on once and for all and all bolted down. I mentioned this before and gave pictures but I had almost no trouble adapting the YJ tub for the CJ7 frame. If you can find one for cheap in good shape, I highly recommend you go this route!!! The major issues are the rear crossmember, which needs to have new holes drilled (or just buy one made for the conversion by Jason aka ChiefWaho) and the windshield/dash. Now the windshield/dash are not going to be a big problem for me (knock on wood) because I don't care about hooking up the defroster like stock. The dash will have some false bolts for looks, and some new ones drilled out to match the YJ windshield tie down mounts. I COULD have had DD Fab fix this for me, but I didn't specify it from lack of research. Oh well.
So next I decided to get that brake reservoir bolted to the firewall. I was worried that it wouldn't match the YJ tub, and I was right, but it was close--and with some minor drilling Jeff and I got it to work like it was made that way:
Note that we didn't have to worry about guessing where the holes went...the YJ ones for the brake pedal assembly were our guide.
Then came the steering column and shaft. First I had to figure out what kind of gearbox I had. I had to do this by counting the splines:
It looked like a 36 spline, 13/16 OD shaft...for 1970's GM trucks. I actually had no idea but the Tech guys at Flaming River helped me identify it over the phone by asking me some questions.
I decided the easiest way to make sure I got what I needed was to get the column in and then buy the shaft second, to make sure I got the right length.
Old versus new:
Shiny. Also expensive. But nice. I pretty much knew I was going to go with a new one after tearing into the old one and seeing more things broken than working, and also being shocked that a steering column was twice as complicated as a V8 gas motor... xD
Because the dash needed to be put in at the same time as the steering column (because it uses some of the same bolts to mount on the brake pedal assembly) I decided to drill my holes and paint it:
Double D Fab makes their dashes out of heavy steel...it was TOUGH to cut through!!!
Layed some paint down after some prepwork:
Now that I have my camera back...I need to take a good picture of the dash...it looks great! Very happy with it:
In that last pic you can see the billet steering column holder. It is nice, like everything FR makes. Also expensive. The only thing I was kinda miffed about was their steering shaft. I got a collapsible one that you had to cut to adjust (BTW if I had known this - my own mistake - I would have ordered it at the same time as the steering column) which was fine. My issue was that because of the FR Column output shaft was unique I had to buy THEIR shaft and U joints. Again, they are REALLY nice. Super nice...but it was really out of my budget. If I had an OEM column I could have bought a new shaft for 35 bucks.
Here is a picture of it from a weird perspective making me look sqashed.
In this pic I am "adjusting" the length:
I think I cut it to 36" overall...not 100% on that though.
Here is what it looked like installed:
The column and shaft are definitely the fanciest things on my Jeep by a good ways. xD