PoisonBanana - My no tools, budget or clue frame-off. - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > PoisonBanana - My no tools, budget or clue frame-off.

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 08-21-2012, 07:48 PM   #151
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

Lately I have been helping Jeff get his CJ8 running. We replaced all the essentials...battery, wiring harness (mostly made our own Frankenstein) lights, waterpump, alternator...etc etc etc....lots of bolt on stuff. Tomorrow should have it running!

I also have been working on getting bits and pieces of my Heep cleaned up and ready for PorPaint.

I got this done yesterday and today:

Oh yeah, and also I bought a Harley

Yes, its a 1200C....feel free to make fun of me. I like it though...Saints colors--black and smoke gold!

Kastraelie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2012, 11:40 PM   #152
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Alright!! Acceleration? Handling? C'mon, c'mon...

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2012, 03:24 PM   #153
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Alright!! Acceleration? Handling? C'mon, c'mon...
Too busy working on Jeep! Haven't taken it out yet. I plan on taking it for a spin on Tuesday after I clean it up and put some new pipes on it. It came with a set of V&H Short Shots that were not installed...I know they are going to decrease backpressure and make the bike run a bit lean...and therefore hotter...

Hopefully I can make some carb adjustments. We shall see. Thank you for your interest, Sker. My wife is not helping me out in that department.

So JEEP STUFF:

Painting, painting etc etc:

After the parts were done I made a trip to the hardware store for stainless and grade 8 bolts. I drilled out the old holes the PO used for the "skid plate" drop brackets. I wanted something with more surface area so it would not tear the frame. I also used washers and locking nuts this time so I would not dig into the frame...if you guys remember the PO REALLY tightened HARD and sunk the nuts deep into the frame.

^ It was solid after the mods.

After re drilling and adjusting everything, I got the "skid plate" bolted in solid:

The PO only used two smaller bolts for the garage-fabbed engine mounts. I didn't like how the center of gravity was off on them...and the bolts were too small and had already tore a bit into the frame. I widened them up and added a third bolt to make things a bit more stout and even:

Chassis was almost done at this point. With everything ready for the drivetrain it was time to put the back wheels on temporarily (still need to work on the brakes some more) and chain it all up.

Now the holes for the engine mount bushing washers were not big enough for the hugely beefy advanced adapters. My step drill was not beefy enough to drill out those holes. So I chose to omit them...I don't see a big deal anyways.

I was worried that we wouldn't get the engine into its spot from the front...but while lowering it and Jeff pulling on the back we were able to make it work.:

I put the engine side mounting brackets in temporarily to see where we were going to set the engine. Yes, the PO had already done this work for us but markings and notes have long since vanished. Plus, I needed to drill out these engine side brackets to make room for the huge advanced adapter bolts. We used a chalk line with a ziptie to mark 1" to the drivers side which would give us a straight shot to the rear pumpkin:

With some fanagling and help my my brother who is visiting we got the bushings and bolts in and everything lined up:

After the engine was solid (but still using the crane to balance it) we bolted up the torque converter.

This is how we ended for the day:

Unread 08-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #154
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

You are coming together very well. You have almost caught me!! And I CAN'T BELIEVE you haven't gone for a ride!!!! You're like Paul. I want a FULL REPORT on the handling characteristics of this bike.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #155
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
You are coming together very well. You have almost caught me!! And I CAN'T BELIEVE you haven't gone for a ride!!!! You're like Paul. I want a FULL REPORT on the handling characteristics of this bike.
Yes sir! I have to clean it first though.

And I haven't begun on the hard part of the Jeep yet...
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:46 PM   #156
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

WOW - EIGHT MONTHS to the DAY since my last major update. Life caught up to me! I have been working on the Jeep, but

sloooowwwwlllyyy here and there. I will be making a big push now that I have caught up with a bunch of my work. In the

meantime I want to show you guys what I have been doing to the Jeep!

So aside from some minor things I probably can't remember, this is how the Jeep was sitting when I last signed off--except

the transfer case has been installed:

I decided that my YJ tub should go on so it could be modified to fit on the CJ frame. The first step was to mock up some

bushings:

Semper Fi!

I've since forgotton how high it sat...

Very small picture of me, but dang it felt good to sit in the Jeep again

My Frame-Off
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:01 PM   #157
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

I decided to try and find the 1" Daystar body lift in my shop...it was a miracle that I found them, let alone ALL of them

HAH!

We made our markings on the tub, and I drug it out to the yard to get to work cleaning it up. Fun fun:

So the wire brushing was just not working as fast as I wanted it to...that bedliner is tough stuff. Let's see how it

likes my friend AIRCRAFT STRIPPER:

Meanwhile Jeff was smirking at my toxic labors as he polished up his Scrambler, which we had since got running. HEY JEFF,

HOW MANY PARTS DID IT TAKE FOR HER TO TURN OVER??? :P

OK so maybe he was right to smirk...the aircraft stripper worked as well as pouring Apple Juice on it..except that wire

brushing it off just got specs of it on my skin. Mmmmm that felt great.

I had managed to expose more rust. Awesome.

And this old friend which I already knew about:

No sense moping. Time to tackle these suckers:

Moar chiseling

Starting to look good:

I still had some plate left over from the last tub patch attempts...so I used my "practice" to fab up some patches:

After the patching I painted them in that Aluminum Oxide stuff and the edges for easier welding:

Oh right, I forgot about this patch:

I banged the sheet into place, which was tough cause it was like 14 guage plate.

UNFORTUNATELY there are about a hundred or so pictures of the Jeep since this and the next part (that show the tub being

finished up) but I lost them. Sorry. Has a picture of my dog helping as a placeholder:

My Frame-Off
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:16 PM   #158
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

Hmmm I think this happened before the tub cleanup...but either way shocked needed to be obtained...so I needed to measure for them first. This is what Jeff and I ended up with:

It was kinda obvious that this wasn't enough flex...but I went with my measurments and bought some billstiens. I did some research and it turned out that the Rubicon Express HD shock kit was a rebranded version of the billstiens I wanted, so I got those and some stickers. I like stickers.

OK so it was time to modify the tub and frame to make my YJ tub work. I did tons of research and I was prepared for cutting, drilling, grinding mounts off, welding new ones on, etc etc.

HAH, no, it went right on. I call BS.

SO the dealio is that the YJ tub (at least my year) has these drain holes in the crossmembers which almost PERFECTLY line up with the frame body mount perches. All you need to do is run a bolt up with some washers (might need to grind the washer edges to get them to fit). This is as sturdy as the factory captured nut solution--for serious. NO EXTRA WORK NEEDED AT ALLLLLLL! The welds you see are the patch I made for the rusty hole I tore out.

There was one challenge--the rear crossmember I ordered from Jason was for a CJ8, and as such the body bushings holes do not line up with the YJ. The solution for me was to drill holes in the crossmember and trim the bushing sleeve and rubber shoe:

Looks good with the 1" body lift...I was afraid it wouldn't:

Other side for the drain-hole mounted bushing:

And yes, the CJ hood, fenders, and grill all lined up PERFECTLY with the YJ tub. No drilling extra holes!

This of course made me VERY VERY happy!

And Jeff too:

My Frame-Off
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:56 PM   #159
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

A little time passed, and we had spent it doing minor here and theres on the jeep. Spending money on stainless steel bolts, and this and that. We also worked on Jeff's Scrambler quite a bit. It was time to tackle a bigger task, and I voted on the steering column because mine was in rough shape and had alot of slack in the tilt. We headed off to ALL the junkyards in a 40 mile radius...but we didn't see much of anything interesting. In fact the most interesting things we saw were this half sunk spring:

And this old baby

Seriously, thousands and thousands of cars but no Jeeps and no steering columns that would have fit. Oh well, I guess I could try rebuilding mine:

Ok this got complicated fast:

I'm seriously starting to feel like this is above me:

I took many, many more pictures but I didn't include them because A. there already are awesome breakdowns of these things on the web, and B. I'm not sure I am going to rebuild mine. There were tons of broken things and stuff missing. I could order the parts but I'm just not sure I'm going to.

I decided to drop this for now and go to something else... the SLE and Driveshaft!

After some frustrating research, I found what I needed at Tom Woods Custom Driveshafts. The customer service there is absoluting amazing...which I found out later and will tell you about.

I had to take some measurments...

Notice anything wrong from the last pic? Well, the important wrong thing? xD

I sent Tom my measurments and while I waited I decided to do the fuel line. Jeff's son-in-law, Billy, got us some AWESOME stainless steel line from the oil field trash pile where he works. This will look nice, albeit a pain to get in there:

Electrical tape underneath the mounts to prevent metal-to-metal rubbing:

Man that looks so nice, I was so grateful to Jeff and Billy for this!

So FIRST problem...I didn't put the shims in to make the diff output yoke point toward the output shaft on the transfercase...I had 2 degree shims that came with my lift, but those were a joke. I was an idiot to not do this step BEFORE sending Tom my measurements...but I didn't know any better.

I got ready to put the new 8 degree shims I ordered in:

I don't have a picture of them...but after I drilled them out to match my Rubicon Express "perch dowels? and put them on I realized 8 degree was not NEAR enough!!! So that was 40 dollars down the drain. If anyone wants these let me know..they are nice, they just don't work for me. I had to order $15 perches from Summit to make this work for me.

So first it was time to get the old ones off:

While grinding I had an accident and the grinder jumped. It hit my arm and I got a nasty burn and a cut which JUST missed a major blood vessel. THANK YOU GOD! I was very lucky.

I eventually finished...this took the whole day...

Next session involved welding, which is fun.

OH MY GOSH ITS HIDEOUS!!!!!

It held up to a sledgehammer though, so I should be good.

At this point I got my shiny new driveshaft. It was awesome. I laughed, I cried, and then I cried some more...but this time because it did not fit because I made three horrible errors (one of them was not known until this time today). I did not point my outputs toward each other, which I described earlier, and I measured the thing wrong...I didn't do 12" O clock to 9" O clock, which is the right way. So I paniced and starting thinking of ways to fix this.

I decided the only thing I could do was drop the transfer case. So I started experimenting:

But then if I got rid of the transfer case drop I had another problem...a 33 degree plus problem...which would equal CATASTROPHIC failure as per the Tom Wood's website. I don't know exactly what that means but I knew I didn't want that. The only thing to do was measure it right and send it back and bite the cost. Stupid, expensive mistake on my part.

My Frame-Off
Unread 04-24-2013, 10:17 PM   #160
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

Jeff and I made a new friend, Dave. Dave used to be a mechanic, among other things, and was interested in the ruckus we were making. He came over just in time to help rebuild the carburator! I picked up a kit from Napa, and he got on it like it was a Lego set:

He also dug into the transfer case and helped put the new shaft and flange in:

I was starting to feel like I didn't need to help put my Jeep together anymore.

Nope, they found work for me. Time to pack bearings!

My little brother came to vist me from WA. He thought he was going to be fishing and playing video games. Nope! Jeep work for him! xD

Him and I spent a few days on the tub getting it primed and the liner in. Again, I don't have pics of this. Which is dumb. xD You guys will see it eventually.

My Frame-Off
Unread 04-24-2013, 10:23 PM   #161
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

Remember this?

It's my old tub...at Jake's place. I don't remember if I told y'all about Jake, but he is a collector of all things Jeeps. He has the Jeep graveyard I showed you all earlier. He posed for a picture with his son since he is now an integral part of this project.

We were there on one of our normal Jeep part runs. I think this time we were looking for seat brackets and a cowl vent for me, and who knows what for Jeff. He gets lots of stuff here.

Speaking of Jeff's Scrambler...we have that coming good. We painted it the other day:

I love that sand...I might paint my Jeep to match.

Just last week we ended up at a historic point in this build. Dave, Jeff, and I hooked up the motor, carb, distributor, and all that good stuff in an attempt to turn the sucker on:

Wanna know what happened????

Click to find out!

My Frame-Off
Unread 04-24-2013, 10:31 PM   #162
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

Oh, as for the motorcycle... I put 4500 miles on it. I loved it, great bike. I found that motorcycling is one of my great loves. After some long trips I decided that my butt was worth an upgrade and I started working nights to save up some extra cash.

I traded her in for the same price I paid....which was amazing. Harley's have awesome trade-in value. Actually, that is an understatement. :O

Goodbye baby!

Hello momma!

After I washed and waxed her:

What is truly terrifying is this bike has more horsepower than my old YJ. She still handles like A DREAM though...

My Frame-Off
Unread 04-24-2013, 10:33 PM   #163
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Great job!!!!! Happy for ya on the fire up! That had to feel great!

I've owned a lot of bikes ..... my roadstar was a great pleasure of mine. wish I still had it.

My jeep project "Rustful Dead"
HALOjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 10:12 PM   #164
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

Thanks, HALO! I took some more pics of the bike today since the sun was out. Now it has some color.

My Frame-Off
Unread 05-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #165
CHIEFWAHO
1983 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kastraelie View Post

There was one challenge--the rear crossmember I ordered from Jason was for a CJ8, and as such the body bushings holes do not line up with the YJ. The solution for me was to drill holes in the crossmember and trim the bushing sleeve and rubber shoe:

Dang, I would have swapped you out that cross member.

I do have them for the YJ tub to CJ7 frame swap.

They have the correct location for the body mounts.

Jason aka chiefwaho
CHIEFWAHO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.