PoisonBanana - My no tools, budget or clue frame-off. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > PoisonBanana - My no tools, budget or clue frame-off.

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-24-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

PoisonBanana - My no tools, budget or clue frame-off.

Current Standing:

-------------------------------------------------------------
Before we begin I should warn everyone to push their expectations into 4-low. I am not here to impress--I just want to share my journey with everyone and maybe get some tips along the way.

I purchased a YJ (perfect condition) a few years back and we have had many adventures together. The first day of owning it I smashed the hood up after I took a nose dive into a grass covered pit and had to be pulled out by the owners of the property (who did not want me there ). The second day I got stuck between two pines and a deer fence and scratched the steel off my paint on both sides. I was young, naive, and thought that the stock tires and Jeep logo could get me anywhere.

Since then I have been wheeling with Jeep and FJ clubs, and have a bit more wheeling experience under my belt...and a couple gallons more maturity (though I might still be running close to empty ).

Sadly, I was forced to sell my YJ as I was on a month long business trip during our move, and my wife had no way of bringing it down. I let my baby go for a shocking $2400. Here is a picture of it just a few weeks before I sold it:

Fast forward to now. I found a CJ7 ad on craigslist with your typical CL lingo. I drove an hour out, and despite having no truck, trailer, or mechanical knowledge...picked it up.

Looks pretty decent, huh? Well most ad pictures do.

Two more I took when I got there:

After paying the guy a little extra to tow it down, and staring at it in my driveway, I realized what trouble I was in. I design and build computer chassis...I don't own any tools save for stuff like calipers, a small drill press, and some screw drivers...and I certainly don't know how to do anything mechanical except change oil.

After staving off a panic attack, I decided I was OK with making the time and money investment to get it running.

I got to work unbolting the interior (including removing the riveted patch panels), and then started panicking again:

Guess its time to go to Harbor Freight and buy some tools! Speaking of buying stuff...I will be making a spreadsheet that documents every nut and bolt that goes into this rebuild, and sharing it with you guys.

Till tomorrow.

Kastraelie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

whoa whoa whoa. Harbor freight is OK for those tools you use once or once in a blue moon, but I'd hit up Sears for one of their package deals for between $100-200 (like this one). Lifetime guarantee on Craftsman parts.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2012, 04:59 PM   #3
FrnchDp

1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerhoundvm View Post
whoa whoa whoa. Harbor freight is OK for those tools you use once or once in a blue moon, but I'd hit up Sears for one of their package deals for between $100-200 (like this one). Lifetime guarantee on Craftsman parts.
I have that Craftsman kit.. love it! so worth it

2000 WJ Limited - V8-287
FrnchDp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

X 2 on the Craftsman tool set. You won't need very many of the metric items. ( some power steering things) but there pretty good tool to start out with. If you break a tool they replace them for free.

It looks like you have a SBC ( small block Chevy ) engine. Do you know what transmission and transfer case it has? If you don't, the easiest way to find out would be to call the PO ( previous owner).

Welcome to the CJ section of Jeep Forums. And how bout changing your profile to the CJ.

On edit, it looks like a transfer case used in Chevy trucks, going from the shift lever boot. And the position of the lever, if it's currently in 2wd. Most likely it has the same shift pattern as the YJ .

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #5
RobsCrawlin7
no balls

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrnchDp View Post
I have that Craftsman kit.. love it! so worth it
yep, between this, my battery powered craftsman impact, my angle grinder and 1 or 2 other tools i built what i have today.
'79 CJ7 sold
'82 CJ7 parted
'89 MJ sold

SSG David Mejias, SSG Eric Vick, SGT William Bowling, SGT Robert McDowell
1 April 2007
Rest In Peace Brothers
RobsCrawlin7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2012, 05:20 PM   #6
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

I have a lot of craftman tools too, alot but the trouble they been having, I expect that guarantee be out the window soon, then they be no better that great neck or stanley
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2012, 05:29 PM   #7
RobsCrawlin7
no balls

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
I have a lot of craftman tools too, alot but the trouble they been having, I expect that guarantee be out the window soon, then they be no better that great neck or stanley
what?
'79 CJ7 sold
'82 CJ7 parted
'89 MJ sold

1 April 2007
Rest In Peace Brothers
Unread 04-24-2012, 05:40 PM   #8
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRyans33

what?
I did a quick google on this, very quick. I appears some if not all tools are made in china. sears claims no difference in quality.

I doubt the guarantee will change.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2012, 05:55 PM   #9
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post

Some other things you'll need sooner or later: a torque wrench, 3# hammer, torx bits, grenades, and a 12 pack of your favorite beer.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2012, 06:01 PM   #10
RobsCrawlin7
no balls

2001 TJ Wrangler 

make that SEVERAL cases of beer. I cant even guess how many bottles/cans ive drank building this thing.
'79 CJ7 sold
'82 CJ7 parted
'89 MJ sold

1 April 2007
Rest In Peace Brothers
Unread 04-24-2012, 06:09 PM   #11
SKT
1981 CJ7 

In on this build thread, and looking forward to following along!

There is a plethora of experience on this forum, and they will guide you in the right direction and/or assist with any questions you may have along the journey!

In the end, I'm certain that you will find the CJ more rewarding and enjoyable than they YJ.

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2012, 09:18 PM   #12
bentring
1976 CJ5 

Gonna be the odd man out in this thread but I've owned this for 3 or 4 years and would recommend it to anyone. I don't have anything against the Craftsman set except the lack of half inch drive because when working on old stuff would keep me looking for a cheater bar nonstop.

And don't forget the torx set (and throw away all the bolts as you remove them.)
bentring is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2012, 09:42 PM   #13
mbeck94
1977 CJ7 

I'm always pleased with my craftsman stuff. Always replaced broken stuff no problem, heck some of it was 20 years old. Brand new now, or at least reman. I do think the older stuff is strong and better made though. It breaks less than the new. Either way. Just my 2¢
77 CJ- sold
mbeck94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2012, 09:45 PM   #14
paulsalchow
1985 CJ7 

Broken screw extractors,PB blaster,drill bits,pry bars.It will be fun though.Oh and find a friend with a welder.
paulsalchow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2012, 09:51 PM   #15
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

Wooo, thanks for the posts of encouragement and advice on the tools, beer, and 'nades.

I will head to Sears next time I need something heavy duty, unfortunately I did not get ya'lls messages in time and I got DeWalt stuff from Home Depot since I have had good luck with my 6 amp drill. I'm no car guy (yet) but I do understand the dangers of crappy Harbor Freight stuff. I was just headed there for some one time use stuff and misc things. =)

Admittedly, I did buy two things there that, if they are shoddy, will kill me dead:

Had to get creative on this one as I didn't have a wrench big enough:

O.K. That's a bunch of new toys. Welder, engine stand, crane, air comp, and some other stuff. Couple dollars more and I could trade it in for another C.J.

I'm getting ahead of myself though... here is where the Jeep was before those rusty pics I showed yall:

This torx bolt was stripped long before I got to it:

I ended up cutting it and then unscrewing the door from the whole assembly. xD

And this is where it was before I got the riveted panels out:

Now we are almost caught up to where I am. It hasn't taken any special Jeep knowledge so far, just standard cussing and prying. I have a DeWalt electric impact wrench now. I wouldn't have got an electric one, but a friend of mine swears by them and how much more convenient they are. I decided to go with his advice....and borrow his fancy 800 ftlb air impact if mine cant get the job done. xD
Kastraelie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.