Plugging smog exhaust manifold bolts - How? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Plugging smog exhaust manifold bolts - How?

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-21-2009, 03:28 PM   #1
cfernandez
1978 CJ7 

Plugging smog exhaust manifold bolts - How?

Hey guys

I am finally installing a Howell kit on my California Jeep 304 and have removed the smog pipes that attach to my exhaust manifolds and I have two problems:

1) I snapped one of the bolts and part of it is still inside. It's a hollow bolt, so can I weld it shut? Use "Easy Out" and pull it out?

2) As for the remaining bolts, they came out fine. They are pretty big bolts, can I get these at a local hardware store. On another website, someone mentioned brass plugs. Can brass plugs really hold on that tight and last through that extreme heat?

What have you guys done? Thanks in advance!

Cy

cfernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2009, 06:55 PM   #2
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

They are not your usual bolts and I would be suprised if you can get them at a hardware store.

I would try an easy out first.

Yes brass plugs work well in the manifold. Mine have been in for years.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2009, 07:47 PM   #3
479AZ
1978 CJ7 

Brass melts at 1652 fahrenheit, I doubt your pipes will get that hot. I have the same plugs in my other vehicle for the past two years, no problems.

Tim
479AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2009, 07:49 PM   #4
479AZ
1978 CJ7 

Oh, and don't try to weld the manifold. Cast iron is very difficult to weld. You probably could TIG it but I'm not sure. Drill it, plug it.
Unread 01-21-2009, 07:56 PM   #5
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

bolts

I put new manifolds on my 304 a month ago. they had the smog holes. i belive this is metric bolt threads .tried every bolt, plug they had . i've found that a stock sparkplug is the proper size threads, something like 14mmx1.5 i think. this i'm told, is unique to sparkplugs, go figure, so thats what i'm using as a temp. solution. probley the best thing to do would be to redrill and tap to a 3/8" pipe plug. i just did'nt feel like taking the manifolds back off at this time. Also these are brand new after market manifolds, so take that into concideration(sp)

bill g.
lucdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2009, 08:03 PM   #6
paulzwieg

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I welded hole in the bolt on mine. If you want to weld the manifold bring it over, I'll weld it. Not hard at all. Just have to do it right.
www.wohva.com
paulzwieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2009, 08:04 PM   #7
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Use a brass std National Pipe Thread, NPT, in the 1/4 or 3/8" size they fit perfect. I would use brass ones they are softer and will seal up better. Menards, Lowes, farm store will all have these about $.50 each, cheap... Square top or reccessed would both work. PS I had to look I have a I6 with tubes of a 1981 Calf 258 and was going to use it, changed my mind and put in a Borla Header. Any one need a clean 258 header, all parts removed and cleaned already???? That is why I know this..

As for the stuck one. Put PB Blaster on it and let sit for a few days. Find a bud with acetaline torch and heat up the exhast around it and back out the stud with vise grips or simillar. Once you heat it up should come out nice.

Fred
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2009, 08:40 PM   #8
cfernandez
1978 CJ7 

Just got back from Home Depot and they did not have any bolts that matched the size. What do the brass plugs look like and what are they normally used for? Is there a certain size I should get? Anyone with a pic?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is holding me up. Thanks for all the replies so far. As for the broken bolt, I will try PB blaster and heat. If that doesn't work, easy out it is.

Cy
cfernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2009, 08:47 PM   #9
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Plumbing Parts, you will find plug in brass, steel, galvanized. Use brass

A std propane tank is not hot engough. Need acetaline and get it cherry hot should come right out.
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2009, 10:19 PM   #10
479AZ
1978 CJ7 

Try Ace Hardware, in the isle with all the brass fittings. Get 1/4" NPT plugs.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.