please help with wipers!!!! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > please help with wipers!!!!

Currie RockJock Products!!This is a shout out to all INTERNATIONAL Customers! Yes weEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-28-2011, 06:19 AM   #16
CJ Chet
1986 CJ7 

Make sure you check those wires. I got one of those miswired motors. After swapping 2 wires it worked just fine. Also helps ALOT if you run a ground wire from the motor case down to the dash.

'86 CJ7, 265 CI, DUI, TF999, Borla, Weber, 4" BDS Lift.
'04 AEV RUBICON.
'00 TJ Sahara.
CJ Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 07:25 AM   #17
clarythedrill
1995 YJ Wrangler 

ok,

i checked the wires this morning, and here is what i have:

motor black wire to blue harness wire into the switch
motor green wire to yellow harness wire into switch
motor blue wire to blue harness wire with white stripe into switch
motor red wire to red harness wire into switch

the above colors are off of the new motor, and the connectors are not reversed where the motor connectes into the harness, and the harness is connected to the switch correctly.

to the best of my knowledge, the harness is stock, but who knows what the previous owners have done.

so apparently my harness switch wires are different for some reason. i will run a dedicated ground to count that out, but now i am very puzzled with the wiring. there are 3 other wires at the switch, but i assume those are for the washer pump. those are one yellow, and two red, which one of the red jumps to the other red and then goes to the passenger side of the vehicle.
clarythedrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 07:59 AM   #18
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
Thanks John, I hoped you would chime in. Most of my Jeeps have parts from 3 others, so its hard to tell what came from the factory.

So are you thinking the OP needs a different switch.

Bill
It depends what he wan't to do. Run the 3 wire motor or a 4 wire motor.

I actually think a couple of wires on the motor are backwards. Not his harness.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 08:07 AM   #19
clarythedrill
1995 YJ Wrangler 

hey john,

i dont want to have to purchase a 3 wire motor, as i have the new 4 wire motor. i will run a dedicated ground to get rid of that variable. i have spade connectors that slip right onto the pins on the switch, so if i need to cut the connector off of the motor and put a connector on each colored wire, i can do that, but then i wont know which pin to connect it to, and i am afraid i will burn the motor up if i connect it up wrong while experimenting with what connector goes to what pin.
Unread 11-28-2011, 08:12 AM   #20
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarythedrill View Post
ok,

i checked the wires this morning, and here is what i have:

motor black wire to blue harness wire into the switch
motor green wire to yellow harness wire into switch
motor blue wire to blue harness wire with white stripe into switch
motor red wire to red harness wire into switch

the above colors are off of the new motor, and the connectors are not reversed where the motor connectes into the harness, and the harness is connected to the switch correctly.

to the best of my knowledge, the harness is stock, but who knows what the previous owners have done.

so apparently my harness switch wires are different for some reason. i will run a dedicated ground to count that out, but now i am very puzzled with the wiring. there are 3 other wires at the switch, but i assume those are for the washer pump. those are one yellow, and two red, which one of the red jumps to the other red and then goes to the passenger side of the vehicle.

That is correct.

Yellow: Washer
1 Red Jumpered to 2 Red To fuse box.
Look at schematic above and you can see the jumper on the top of the switch drawing.

I still think your motor is wired wrong. I haven't found that color combination yet to be sure.
Unread 11-28-2011, 08:15 AM   #21
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
hey john,

i dont want to have to purchase a 3 wire motor, as i have the new 4 wire motor. i will run a dedicated ground to get rid of that variable. i have spade connectors that slip right onto the pins on the switch, so if i need to cut the connector off of the motor and put a connector on each colored wire, i can do that, but then i wont know which pin to connect it to, and i am afraid i will burn the motor up if i connect it up wrong while experimenting with what connector goes to what pin.
Yes, wait till i figure something out to test it safely. Worst can happen is to blow a fuse though.
Unread 11-28-2011, 09:54 AM   #22
clarythedrill
1995 YJ Wrangler 

ok, thanks for all the help, it is GREATLY appreciated.
Unread 11-28-2011, 10:44 AM   #23
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Get a test light also,

Ok I would use a jumper wire connected to the battery. Since we are just going to hold it on momentarily we won't use a fuse.

I would use this schematic:

First make sure motor is grounded.

With a jumper connected to the + on the battery, touch the jumper to each of the wires.

1 terminal will make it run continuously slow: Slow Speed
1 terminal will make it run continuously fast: Fast speed

The other two are trickier,
One COULD be a dead short to ground and make a big spark or do nothing.
One will Do Nothing ever unless it is plugged into switch

Connect the test light to the + on the battery.
Select one of the remaining terminals to connect the test light to.
Then Apply power to the SLOW terminal and allow it to run continuously.
IF you are on the braking terminal, BLACK wire on the above schematic, then the light should light up once every 1 revolution.

If it doesn't light up then you could be on the RED wire in the drawing above. Move the contact from the test light to the other terminal. Make sure it flashes.

Then verify the plug is wired as drawn in the schematic. Detail C108.

A is High Speed
B is Brake, flashes once per revolution
C is low Speed
D will do nothing unless plugged in.
Unread 11-28-2011, 01:21 PM   #24
clarythedrill
1995 YJ Wrangler 

hey,

finally got it figured out. the wires off of the motor were reversed. i guess during the process of putting the end connector onto the motor harness, they flipped the wires making them exactly opposite of what they should be. thanks a ton to everyone for your help.

EDIT: i was wrong, the motor only turns in one direction, not back and forth. it does has fast and slow speeds though. so, back to playing around.

DOUBLE EDIT: i think im a *******, it is supposed to go in one direction. on the top stroke they go left, and on the bottom stroke they go right. wow, you learn something new everyday.
Unread 11-29-2011, 02:29 AM   #25
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
hey,

finally got it figured out. the wires off of the motor were reversed. i guess during the process of putting the end connector onto the motor harness, they flipped the wires making them exactly opposite of what they should be. thanks a ton to everyone for your help.

EDIT: i was wrong, the motor only turns in one direction, not back and forth. it does has fast and slow speeds though. so, back to playing around.

DOUBLE EDIT: i think im a *******, it is supposed to go in one direction. on the top stroke they go left, and on the bottom stroke they go right. wow, you learn something new everyday.
So does it work now?
Unread 11-29-2011, 06:15 AM   #26
clarythedrill
1995 YJ Wrangler 

yes, it works now. thanks for all your help.
Unread 11-29-2011, 04:58 PM   #27
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
I thought I remember reading somewhere that some of the wiper motors have the terminals in different locations in the connectors.
So now that is the second time I have heard of that.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 10:21 AM   #28
gwolff
1978 CJ7 

Hate to rehash old threads but the search function is serving me well, once again. If anyone else bought a brand new $60 motor and is haveing this issue this is a good place to start.
Hope it's the same problem and an easy fix.
gwolff is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.