Please help with LED light wiring... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Please help with LED light wiring...

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-06-2006, 08:37 AM   #1
fromme
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Please help with LED light wiring...

I have had the rear LED's in for a time with no problems. My front signals and light sockets are toast with bad connections, so I went ahead and ordered up a set for the front too. I installed an electronic flasher also. Now my turn signals work fine, until I turn the lights on, then there's no signal at all, and the side marker lights are very dim. I can't figure out for the life of me why. It looks as if the side markers are wired in with the turn signals. Would there be a way to just wire the side markers in as running lights maybe making this work. Or could I just add a resistor wire in line of the marker lights somewhere?

Unread 04-06-2006, 12:31 PM   #2
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Yes, and it seems as if the marker lights cause all the problems. The circuit was designed to work with regular bulbs not LED's in the circuit.

Of course you could have other problems like grounds and stuff but you can search and find a lot of info

You have to deside if you want the Marker light to work as Marker lights or turnsignals. Other options are always available but require more work.

Last edited by John Strenk; 04-06-2006 at 12:42 PM..
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2006, 12:48 PM   #3
0lll077cj5
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I had that problem with mine....Are the leds screwed back in? I have the regular blinkers and if you unscrew them and take them out but leave them connected and turn them back on again they are not grounded out properly and causes my side markers to be dim and the head light to either not light up or be very dim also...Just make sure there grounded out real well and let me know if that solves it

Edit..the lights are grounded out when you screw them back on your jeep so just put them in if there not in already and make sure you tighten them real well!

2004 Jeep TJ
77 cj5 (SOLD)
0lll077cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2006, 12:58 PM   #4
fromme
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks John, that helps me out a little. So what I'm thinking is that for the side marker light, I can splice the + into the parking light side of the LED and ground the other side. And just use them as running lights, not wired into the turn signal at all. What I'm confused about is why the turn signals don't work when the parking lights are on. That LED has a dedicated ground, I'd think with the electronic flasher it should still blink. I'm trying to read your GIF file, but it switches so fast!
Unread 04-06-2006, 01:16 PM   #5
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Fixing that.

Pull both your marker light out and see if it works. If it doesn't work then you have a ground problem.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2006, 01:54 PM   #6
fromme
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If I even pull one marker light out, there's no signal at all. I should note, that without the parking lights on, the side markers blink as they are supposed to. I'm thinking I should just rewire the turn signal + wire so it doesn't go through the marker lights? I know what you mean about the ground, but I don't believe that to be the problem, everything was working perfectly before the addition of the LED's.
Unread 04-06-2006, 08:17 PM   #7
fromme
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well I got it all sorted out if anyone cares. I'll keep it semi-short. Since I did a TJ flare swap, I had my old CJ side marker light housings laying around. I thought to myself, 'self, splice that old housing inline with the blinker side of the marker light.' I did and it worked like a charm. Basically what I did was ground one side of that housing and used a Scotch connector and spliced in the + of the blinker side on the marker light. The signal indicators are off, the marker lights work like they are supposed to, and blink when they are supposed to. I just mounted the parallel light housing under the hood and taped the bulb with electrical tape and zip tied them out of the way. It may not be the most preferred way or the method Mr. John Strenk would have suggested. But it was simple, and free and everything works as it should.
I guess effectively what I did is create that ground for the signal that was lost when I removed the original signal lights. I just would have though the ground on the LED's would have taken care of that, but I guess that was all internal or something within the LED light itself.
Unread 04-06-2006, 09:38 PM   #8
ChiliPepperTJ

I did this on my CJ when I put the led side markers on the rear of the vehicle. I ended up using 1 relay per led sidemarker light, and the relay actually cuts the ground instead of the power, so it works fine. If you want I can figure out my wiring again, as its been atleast 2 years since I wired it up and I forget. John helped me on this too.
Kevin
84 CJ-7 Renegade- 258,GM TBI w/ ESC, HEI, T-5, D300, D30, AMC 20 w/ trac loc and superior shafts, 2.5" BDS lift, 1" daystar BL, MORE shackles, Tie rod flip, 33" Swamper SSR's, Full cage, OBA, A to Z rocker guards, A to Z rear cage, Warn 9.5ti, Taurus fan, Herc'd tub, LED tail lights, Hand throttle, Hella Fogs, Hella headlight conversion, more to come...

02 WJ Limited, 4.7 H.O., RB1 Nav, DD and toddler hauler

Checkout my Junkyard TBI writeup: http://www.bustedjeep.com/projects/junkyardtbi.asp
ChiliPepperTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2006, 10:08 PM   #9
biffstephens

Great Keith.....

Glad you got it all worked out....

Visit Offroadoverstock.com [/URL]

Biff
biffstephens is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.