Please help identify this part - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Please help identify this part

8.8 Swap Kit w/ TRUSS for Jeeps~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 01-28-2013, 01:44 PM   #1
commadore64
Jeep = bleeding money

1980 CJ5 

Please help identify this part

My body man said "this came off your Jeep... do you know where it goes?" (I know, I know... need to get a different body man.) Anyway, I looked at the part but I don't remember seeing this on the Jeep anywhere... anyone know what it is and where it goes?

thingy.jpg  

"For evil to flourish, all that is needed is for good people to do nothing."
commadore64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 02:08 PM   #2
83cj8
1983 CJ8 

I'll take a shot. On my scrambler it would bolt to the floor behind the front seat and to the wall that runs verticle to the floor that the back seat is on. It is a brace that stiffens up the floor behind the front seats to the wall that goes up (4") to the floor where the back seat is located. My scrambler would have two of these. One behind each front seat.

karl
83cj8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #3
commadore64
Jeep = bleeding money

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83cj8 View Post
I'll take a shot. On my scrambler it would bolt to the floor behind the front seat and to the wall that runs verticle to the floor that the back seat is on. It is a brace that stiffens up the floor behind the front seats to the wall that goes up (4") to the floor where the back seat is located. My scrambler would have two of these. One behind each front seat.

karl
Hey Karl, you got a picture of it mounted on you Jeep?

Unread 01-29-2013, 06:36 AM   #4
83cj8
1983 CJ8 

I do not have a picture of them. I don't have them in my scrambler because I had a resto done in 2001 and they got misplaced. I have read some adds where folks have parted out their jeeps and this is when I discovered this part. What you have may not be what I am talking about but it is my best guess. I figured your back area of your jeep floor is about 4" higher that the floor directly behind your front seats. This part is bolted to the floor behind the front seats and to the wall that is about 4" high. Hard to describe.

karl
83cj8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 09:02 AM   #5
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Can't say that I have seen that part on any CJ series Jeep. Anything close would be a CJ-8 Scrambler support bracket at the rear wheel house.

Thought it might be part of the steering column or brake pedal bracket system but no. Not even a CJ-5 spare tire support bracket for the back matches it.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 10:53 AM   #6
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

I don't recognize it either. Where was the work being done on your jeep? Maybe isolate where it could have come from and it might register with someone. Or maybe it was off another vehicle he was working on? I don't know.
RamblingCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 11:19 AM   #7
prismfisher
1982 CJ8 

Part in Scrambler

Here is the bracket behind passenger seat of my scrambler.... I had a full bedliner installed so sorry for the quality. Just like previous said, it sets just above the floor of the CJ and below where the bulkhead sets... I removed mine as I go topless.
Looks similar to me.
2013-01-29_11-06-48_679.jpg  
prismfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 11:24 AM   #8
commadore64
Jeep = bleeding money

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblingCJ View Post
I don't recognize it either. Where was the work being done on your jeep? Maybe isolate where it could have come from and it might register with someone. Or maybe it was off another vehicle he was working on? I don't know.
I'm rebuilding the whole Jeep, so I can't isolate a certain area. However, I do know he was working on a Scrambler some time last year... that may be where the parts are from.

Unread 01-29-2013, 11:31 AM   #9
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Definitely looks like the Scrammy part to me. I just assumed all CJs had them there. Maybe that's why 8s fetch more money. Wonder if it helped provide support for downward force from the bulkhead/hard top?
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #10
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Actually, that last part shown in the photo is an 'Inner Gusset' that bolts to the part in question which is called the 'Lower Gusset' on a Jeep CJ-8 Scrambler. No doubt about it.

The 'Lower Gusset' supports the Scrambler's Roll Bar where it bolts through the floor panel, then the 'Inner Gusset' is bolted to that to provide additional support.

The body shop has dug up an old part from a previous customer's Jeep Scrambler and is trying to pass it off as a part from your CJ-5, which it is NOT.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2013, 07:20 AM   #11
commadore64
Jeep = bleeding money

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
Actually, that last part shown in the photo is an 'Inner Gusset' that bolts to the part in question which is called the 'Lower Gusset' on a Jeep CJ-8 Scrambler. No doubt about it.

The 'Lower Gusset' supports the Scrambler's Roll Bar where it bolts through the floor panel, then the 'Inner Gusset' is bolted to that to provide additional support.

The body shop has dug up an old part from a previous customer's Jeep Scrambler and is trying to pass it off as a part from your CJ-5, which it is NOT.
Thanks Keith... I think you have nailed it. Thanks to everyone for weighting in on this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.