Play in hood hinges? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Play in hood hinges?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*

Unread 06-02-2002, 01:14 PM   #1
Russ T

Play in hood hinges?

My 1981 CJ5 has some play in the hood hinges that I think is the cause of a hood rattle. Do you guys/gals have play in your hood hinges? I am wondering if new hinges would solve the problem. Maybe I just need some thick weather stripping around the hood to put it in a bind when it is closed. Any ideas? Thanks.

Russ T is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2002, 01:26 PM   #2
CJeep
Alpha dog

1982 CJ8 

I can't say for sure, but I once made the mistake of lubing my hood hinges, man, all that rust & stuff kept it quiet, but once more free the rattle-hood was loud. I don't know about the 5, but the 7s have rubber bushings where the hood meets the tub on the vertical plane right below each hinge. Mine were shot. Unable to locate the part ANYWHERE, I found some rubber grommets that the screw (with its little washer) would fit, and that also had enough thickness to do the job. Before ordering new hinges, you might want to take a look at this.

2004 Grand Limited 4.7 HO - OH Boy!

2010 Grand Laredo 5.7 Hemi - SICK - work vehicle -gone - replaced by an 08 Tahoe - nice ride.

"Both my Doberman and my Jeep can accurately be described as 'black and rust.'"

"I got a fever . . . and the only prescription is more cowbell"
CJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.