Piston Rings on straight-six - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Piston Rings on straight-six

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippOur 2014 DynoMax mail-in rebate March1- June 30th is here!OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 01-30-2002, 09:02 PM   #1
nvyblue_cj7

Piston Rings on straight-six

The piston rings are supposedly shot on the good old 6 cylinder, the guy told me I could probably get another couple thousand miles out of them before their gone. Should I just replace the old rings, get a rebuild, or just go all out and swap it for an eight cylinder?

"pop the hood, POP THE HOOD!"
- a phrase commonly heard in my garage
nvyblue_cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2002, 07:02 AM   #2
bodi

I had the same problem with my 83 so i decided to do a complete rebuild. after reading numerous posts about both I6's and V8's i decided to stick with the 258. easy engine and rebuild will be less expensive.
83 CJ7 w/remanufactured jasper 258 I6 w/t-5, Weber carb, new exhaust, PS, PB, 2 1/2" Lift, 31" BFG's, herculined interior and s**t brown paint job (for now) "in to deep..but thats when it starts getting fun"
Brown Jeep Club Member #2
bodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2002, 06:20 PM   #3
Mugzilla Pavelko

check your compresion before you tear into anything. Sometimes, people screw up and give crappy suggestions. It never hurts to check it out first...

mug

RESTARTING a resto that BEGAN in 1985!

1975 CJ-5, 4WD fiberglass tub, 258,... TONS of extra parts!!!
Mugzilla Pavelko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2002, 04:10 PM   #4
Jeep Daddy
1985 CJ7 

I second Mugs. Do a compression check. If the compression is better good after a couple of squirts of oil in the cyl., then it's definately bad rings. If the compression doesn't go up when you squirt some oil in there, then you need a valve job. I've heard of people that do valve jobs, and a few miles later they experience blowby because of weak rings. So doing a valve job only is a bit of a risk.
85 CJ7 4.0L/SM465/Dana300/AMC20/Dana30, MPFI,154K miles - 33" 12.5's Pro Comp MT's, one piece axles, Detroit Softlocker rear, Lock Rite front, Warn Hubs, 4.56 R&P, 4" BDS lift, Warn x8000i, Warn winch guard, Hi-Lift, Tuffy console, Four X Dr. rocker guards, Rock Hard sport cage, Kilby OBA with 1.75 gal tank and York 10.3cc compressor, Tube fenders by GenRight Offroad, Fabricated rear bumper and tire carrier.
Jeep Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.