JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Pismo along the water or... (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/pismo-along-water-2650274/)

thewolff 08-18-2014 09:13 AM

Pismo along the water or...

Pismo / Oceano dunes;

1) Would you guys recommend camping along the water or turn East and get off of the main drag? I like being close to the water I just worry about the all night drag strip noise. I didn't use to care. I must be getting old.

2) Also how far down (what pole #) would you recommend?

3) Along with the CJ I am pulling a 40' toy hauler with an F250 and I am a little concerned about the U Turn. Any suggestions on truck and 5th wheel air pressure?

I did do some Google searching for answers prior to this post.

Thanks

FLynes 08-18-2014 12:06 PM

We stayed at a great RV park in Pismo with our 31' Airstream, right off the hwy and facing the ocean, in 2006. I wish I could remember the name of it, because it was a great place to stay.

LumpyGrits 08-18-2014 12:43 PM

Best to enter at the 'Sand Center' that's south of the pier entry off of Grand Ave.
We camp on the beach down by pole 6.
Best to learn the tide charts and enter on low tide.
NO, 40' anything is easy on that beach! If your truck ain't 4WD-I wouldn't even try--
Don't forget your dune flags, and no double riding either.
LG

Terrain Twister 08-18-2014 01:36 PM

I did it a few years back with our 38' toybox.

Driving down the beach was easy. Knowing where the tide comes up is also mandatory (You can usually see it). 4wd a must.

I aired down the tires on truck to 25 ('03 GMC 2500HD) and the trailer to the same. Drove down the Beach to where our group was and then drove straight in from the beach. Went about 10 yards past end of tide with back of trailer and shut it down.

When it was time to leave all I had to do was slide the 2-8'x2'x3/8" thick pieces of plywood I had brought under the rear tires and backed straight out onto hard packed sand. Everybody stood there ready to help and couldn't believe how easy I made it look. Don't know if I got lucky or what but it worked for me! :thumbsup:

jalves3 08-18-2014 07:56 PM

Take several of the plywood strips mentioned above. Handy to block the wind from blowing under the trailer when camped and getting a running start when leaving. Rangers keep things very calm in the camping area, not much of a racetrack. In winter, rains can make the creek impassable. Low tide makes travel much easier but make sure you park above high tide. Dunes are softer than I have experienced in OR.

chromegrille 08-18-2014 09:40 PM

If you must make a u-turn, always turn down towards the water; time the waves or low tide as suggested.
Don't turn up away from the water!
And....I miss being able to camp down by Devil"s Slide or just before at the last (3rd) river crossing.

August 1983

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...n/73507213.jpg

LumpyGrits 08-18-2014 10:38 PM

Yup-Devils Slide. Back when we could run the whole dang beach.
Sure miss those days.:(
Started going to Pismo in 1975.
LG

thewolff 08-19-2014 08:18 AM

Great stuff. Plywood sounds like a must and the U Turn tip, man I'm glad I posted these questions.

Thanks again.

gurlcj 08-19-2014 08:22 AM

I stay on the ocean side of things with the your trailer. The furthest I'd venture is over the first set of dunes off sand highway (pole 5 I believe). There's a nice little hill to play on, a restroom and some privacy from the masses. But look at the conditions before ya go and try to get down there. As far as air, I always aired down to about 8 pounds in my trucks. It's been a couple years but I can't recall airing down the sand rail trailer. Could be mistaken though. And amen on checking the tide tables. Sometimes you just can't even get across the beach let alone the stream. And heaven forbid you park too close to the water and flood out the campsite! Also if camping on beach, don't forget to park your trailer closest to beach to use as a windblock! Have fun!

cj

gurlcj 08-19-2014 08:27 AM

That was supposed to say 18 pounds of pressure.

cj

LumpyGrits 08-19-2014 09:20 AM

When you turn-Stay in the powder and don't slow down.
As was said-Turn to the water. Enter and leave at low tide.
Make sure you have tow strap points on the front of your truck.
HAVE FUN--
LG

SLO_Ken 08-19-2014 09:29 AM

FYI, the evening and overnight high tides are supposed to be over 6ft for the next week or so. That means that the high tide line you see during the day will be a foot or more under water at night.

http://www.surf-forecast.com/tides/Grover-Beach.png

http://www.surf-forecast.com/breaks/...r/tides/latest

thewolff 08-26-2014 07:02 AM

Couple of lessons learned.

1) never go on a weekend before Labor Day. Thursday, Friday was great. Friday night and Saturday were more out of control than Glamis Thanksgiving or New Years. Little kids on quads completely unsupervised and buzzing camp ALL night and ALL day long. Again Mon. - Thursday. Also the rental companies will rent to anyone.
2) air down to what looks good. F250 4WD with 40' toy hauler, 30psi rear and 20psi front. Has a lot to do with type of tires. Go by look of foot print not what the other guy is doing.
3) there is normally no creek to cross in the summer.

Overall a great trip.

SLO_Ken 08-26-2014 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thewolff (Post 25137450)
Couple of lessons learned.

1) never go on a weekend before Labor Day. Thursday, Friday was great. Friday night and Saturday were more out of control than Glamis Thanksgiving or New Years. Little kids on quads completely unsupervised and buzzing camp ALL night and ALL day long.

This is pretty much true of every weekend during the summer. A lot of folks come over from the valley (Bakersfield, Fresno) on the weekends to escape the heat.

thewolff 08-26-2014 11:10 AM

Yes. That's what my brain was trying to say but didn't type. Any weekend in the summer is very crowded and the way I understand it from the pump out guy, "after labor day it's like someone turns off the switch". Thanks for the tips guys. Oh and I didn't have the balls to turn towards the water so I turned towards the beach and buried it in the soft sand. Luckily my buddy was waiting with his military HUMVEE and a tow strap.

All in all we will be making at least one trip a year there during the week.

The time now is 08:08 AM.