pinion angle question!! please help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > pinion angle question!! please help

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-18-2010, 05:08 PM   #1
burtonboard180
1972 CJ5 

pinion angle question!! please help

i got this frame from a guy its a 73cj5 and he did a shackle reversal on the front. i put my new springs on and realized the front axle is pointing downward. the springs didnt come with shims for the front so i was wondering if anyone knows what companys make like 10 degree shims for 1.75" wide springs? when i measured the axle it was like 10 degrees off however i dont have an engine tranny or tcase in yet withh that weight decrease the angle any? any input would be greatly appreciated!! thanks

burtonboard180 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 05:10 PM   #2
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

I think at that point shimming it is not safe on the front axle... You probably need to have the spring perches cut off and re-welded...
Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
kickingprop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 06:02 PM   #3
burtonboard180
1972 CJ5 

should i just cut off the axle perch where the spring meets the axle and get a new one re-welded on? that should fix my problem right?i rather not mess with the frame and have the spring perches re-welded bc its already been done once by the previous owner and i dont want to weaken the frame
Unread 01-18-2010, 06:21 PM   #4
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonboard180 View Post
... the front axle is pointing downward. ...
What do you mean? Are you saying the pinion is pointing down? My first impression was that it was pointing up.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 06:43 PM   #5
burtonboard180
1972 CJ5 

yea sorry. the pinion is pointing downward because the guy who had it before me swaped the spring perches so instead of having the shackle in the front of the front springs its in the back of the front springs and with the 4" skyjacker lift springs i put in it that is making the back of the front axle where the pnion is point downward. you think my best bet is to just cut the perch off the axle where the springs sit on and just have it relocated and welded on where the pinion angle is level? im sorry im pretty new at the lifted jeeps ive always been into just restoring old cars and just plain jeeps rather than custom ones
Unread 01-18-2010, 06:48 PM   #6
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

A ten degree change will certainly need perches relocated. Take care when you do it. You'll change both your pinion angle and your caster angle.

You don't want to fix one problem and cause another.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 06:55 PM   #7
burtonboard180
1972 CJ5 

yea thanks i will deff be very carefull about that! like u said i deffinatly dont want to make another problem lol. thats all i have been doing is fixing problems nothing is smooth sailing
Unread 01-19-2010, 08:30 AM   #8
CSP

Sounds like the PO didn't get the relative height of the shackle hanger and fixed hanger correct. The perch on the passenger side isn't movable, so there's more to it than cutting and rewelding new perches on.

Sounds like the spring mounting to the frame is where the correction needs to be made.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2010, 06:05 PM   #9
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonboard180 View Post
however i dont have an engine tranny or tcase in yet withh that weight decrease the angle any? any input would be greatly appreciated!! thanks
Yes, that will significantly affect spring compression, main leaf length, and ultimately the pinion angle. Don't make any changes until you get the suspension under load with the approximate running weight of the vehicle. If you change the perches now, you'll just piss yourself off after you install the driveline and everything moves.

However, CSP's point is also perfectly valid and something frequently seen. Check the "engineering" and see if the components are even in the ball park as far as location (spring hanger at the front).

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.