pinion angle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > pinion angle

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 12-10-2002, 03:00 PM   #1
demtjcj

pinion angle

i am selling my tj and getting a cj. as soon as i get it i am planning on doing a spring over. so i got a few questions. i wasnted to use the rubicon express spring over kit with there 1.5" springs(roughly 7"s of lift) when i weld the new spring pads on how much of an angle can i put my centersection of my axle upward. meaning pointing it towards the transfer case. then run a cv drive shaft. i have seen jeeps where the centersection is pointed way up when using a spring over. if you can help it wold be great. also is anybody using the RE spring over or heard anything about it. thanks so much. also is there any threads with detailed write ups of a spring over.

2001 jeep wrangler sport for sale
22000 miles. check sig. 17500

1977 full size cherokee-401 v8, quadratrac dana 44s

prev. jeeps: 98TJ on 33s, 00TJ on 35s, 01TJ on 35s, 78CJ on 31s, 85XJ stock, 94ZJ stock, 97 TJ on 35s, 03 on 35s, 93 GC on 33s
demtjcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2002, 03:32 PM   #2
CSP

Point it up to the point where there is no angle at the pinion end of the driveshaft. Every lift and driveline is different, so quoting an angle probably won't do you any good. On one of my CJ's the pinion had to come up ten degrees.

For detailed writeups on spring over go to a search engine like Yahoo or Google and search on spring over. You won't find a good thread here or really on any other bulletin board on it.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2002, 04:16 PM   #3
OldJeepguy
1979 CJ7 

We've run them as high as 19 degrees. I would set it to where it ALMOST points at the t-case and when you are loaded up and trail-ready the added weight should get you about right.
Unread 12-10-2002, 06:38 PM   #4
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I made my own spring perches and picked up Wrangler spring mounts from 4wd for my SOA. I recently installed the RE 1.5" SOA Wrangler springs (6 leaves) and love them. Previously, I was using XJ rear springs (like 50 inches long) with some additional leaves and my CJ would lean really hard in the corners. It was pretty spooky . The RE springs stiffened it up a bit but still ride decent (if there is such a thing in an early CJ5) . I definately had to use a CV rear shaft and, if I remember correctly, I'm running close to the 20 deg mark with the angle. I was actually worried about starving the pinion bearings of lube but it hasn't proven to be a problem yet with about 3000 miles on it since the buildup. Since you're gonna do a SOA, I would suggest doing a shackle reversal up front at the same time to help with straight tracking at speed. You might also want to consider doing a Dana 44 conversion (don't ya just love how one mod leads to the next?) at the same time so you gain the stronger axle and can go to a high steer setup. Initially it's kinda expensive but if you plan on wheelin hard, save yourself the extra hassle and expense of doing it in increments and get the heavy mods out of the way while you've already got everything tore apart. Above all, think safety during the entire process.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet

Last edited by BESRK; 12-10-2002 at 06:56 PM..
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2002, 07:30 PM   #5
demtjcj

i was looking into getting dana 44s f/r before everything but the money was holding me back. how much of a problem will i have if i use the stock steering w/ a drop pitman arm. also do i need to still use shims on the axles. thanks for the help. i feel like i know a decent amount about lifts and installing them(have done quite a few)but the SOA is the only lift i really dont understand. it seems like you get yourself into a lot of other things.

1977 full size cherokee-401 v8, quadratrac dana 44s

prev. jeeps: 98TJ on 33s, 00TJ on 35s, 01TJ on 35s, 78CJ on 31s, 85XJ stock, 94ZJ stock, 97 TJ on 35s, 03 on 35s, 93 GC on 33s
demtjcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2002, 07:53 PM   #6
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I think you're tierod might interfere with you're passenger side leaf spring even with a drop pitman arm (I'm not positive however, as my setup is different). I would roll up under the Jeep with a broom stick (or something to simulate a tie rod) and eyeball different configurations. I ground a spring pad right into the cast section of my D44 but I don't know if you can do that on a D30. Maybe a fabbed spring perch that mounts the spring a little higher would allow the tierod to clear the underside of the spring? I've also seen rigs that use a Z-shaped tierod to clear the spring (underneath also) but I never really liked the look of that type of tierod. Since you're doing spring perches you shouldn't have to use any shims under the springs. I would set the springs and perches onto the axles and then carefuly lower the weight of the Jeep onto the suspension to measure and mark the pinion angle of the rear, and the caster of the front. Since you're not cutting the front axle knuckles off, you need to maintain some positive caster so you'll need to mount the front axle maintaining stock type angles. Basically, front pinion at the same angle as the front transfer case yoke angle. Make sure you measure angles on the stock setup before you start so that you have a basis for reference. Also, don't forget to check stuff like longer brake lines, driveshaft ujoint binding at full droop, and driveshaft spline engagement (especially if you do a shackle reversal up front.. you'll need to go with a long splined driveshaft to avoid pole vaulting the transfer case during hard compression). Also, you might need to address springwrap with some sort of ladder bar setup (I plan on doing this in the Spring). HTH..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2002, 09:24 PM   #7
CSP

Quote:
Originally posted by demtjcj
also do i need to still use shims on the axles.
Since you're going spring over you will be welding new perches on top of the axles. You want to weld them on only after you determine what angle the pinion needs to be set at. With it done properly there is no need for shims. Shims should never be used on a front axle either.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.