Pining on acceleration - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Pining on acceleration

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinAlloy USA and Posi-Lok Cable Axle Disconnect Kits Dana 30 Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 07-26-2013, 09:01 PM   #1
Al_85CJ

Pining on acceleration

I have. 1985 cj with the inline six and and auto trans. Its been sitting awhile after having it smogged. Now when i drive it ping on acceleration. I set timi g to get me the least pinging but it still will not go away. Any suggestions on what to check next?

Al_85CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 09:02 PM   #2
Al_85CJ

Um... That should be pinging. Small keyboards and fat fingers do not mix well
Al_85CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 10:21 PM   #3
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

The pinging is detonation and can have several causes, poor fuel and timing are common.

Poor fuel - how old is the fuel? Modern fuel goes stale quite quickly, anything more than 6 months and I would suspect the fuel. A low RON fuel will ping more easily. If it is new and you are using a new source of cheap fuel you may consider changing.

Timing - you have not filled in your Profile so hard to say. IF you have the 258 and the computer still hooked up it may be the computer and its sensors playing up, I understand they are not supposed to ping as the computer will adjust automatically. A Nutter bypass of the sensor wires direct to the ignition ECU rather than through the computer may help.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.