Piecing together a lift for a CJ5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Piecing together a lift for a CJ5

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-21-2013, 09:21 AM   #1
JohnnyRotten
1978 CJ5 

Piecing together a lift for a CJ5

I was looking to get a 4.5" Rubicon express lift for my CJ5. I liked the kit but it came with a lot of parts I will not need. Shims, pitman arm, spring plates, not a fan of stainless brake lines or their conversion shackles. I do have a couple of questions. I can part the kit out on Amazon and come out a couple hundred cheaper. Should I get the CJ springs or the YJ springs? I like the YJ Boomerang shackles and figure they will fit my CJ, if anyone knows different please reply. I know I have to replace and move the front shackle hanger forward if I get the YJ springs. Is that worth it or will the CJ springs be just as good. I am buying a new frame, due to rear section about to fall off, so I can do all of this at once and am wondering if what I am proposing will work. I am wanting to combine parts from both the CJ and YJ 4.5" Rubicon Express kit. If anyone has done this please let me know how it turned out.Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

JohnnyRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 09:27 PM   #2
JohnnyRotten
1978 CJ5 

No one has pieced these 2 kits together?
Unread 02-22-2013, 12:04 AM   #3
jeepcliffband
1977 CJ5 

YJ springs ride better. I went with crabtree shackle hangers which aids in the spring conversion by not making you drill out the rivet in the front of the frame, and they're bomb proof.

http://crabtreetool.com/Jeep%20Parts%20Order-form.html

You can just use rear spring CJ shackles in the front to accommodate the 2 1/2 wide springs... Hope this helps.
jeepcliffband is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 07:13 PM   #4
JohnnyRotten
1978 CJ5 

I got ahold of Rubicons tech here is what she said if anyone is interested in the difference between the 2 spring sets:

The YJ rear RE1455 is 224 pounds per inch (23.25" x 24.5")
The CJ rear RE1451 is 242 pounds per inch (23.25" x 23.25")

The YJ rear leaf will bolt on to the CJ, However it is 1.25" longer than the
CJ spring so it will kick your rear shackle out further than intended.

I think the ride quality is a personal preference. Everyone's back meter is
a little different. We have had several customer's take off other brands of
CJ lifts and replace it with ours and they are have been very happy with the
ride quality difference.

Tracy Baker
Rubicon Express Sales Manager
310-900-3853 direct line
916-858-1963 fax

I asked because I was going to go with the YJ kit but some people had shackle problems with the YJ springs on the rear.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.