Picture request: SOA CJ5's! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Picture request: SOA CJ5's!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 01-20-2011, 10:36 AM   #1
Deadman 94 xj
1977 CJ5 

Picture request: SOA CJ5's!

CJ7's welcome too

Please list springs used and tire size.

I'm trying to figure out how low I can make a SOA CJ. The plan so far is to use stock YJ springs.

I'm also toying with the idea of a SOA front and SUA rear

I have searched a ton and if you guys have any good links I might not have seen, please post them up.

Thanks.

Unread 01-20-2011, 10:44 AM   #2
Deadman 94 xj
1977 CJ5 

Axles will be 58" D44's.
Tire size, 35's.

I am aware of the extra work and $$ involved in SOA. I'm just toying with ideas here.
A traction bar will be installed to reduce axle wrap if I SOA the rear.

The hybrid, SOA/SUA setup will have some benefits.
Front SOA:

1). Better wheel travel up front (debatable)
2). Softer ride up front, where all the weight is. (debatable)
3). Better aproach as there won't be any brackets to get hung up on. (debatable)

Rear SUA:

1). Axle wrap will be minimized.
2). Added stability in the rear, forcing the front to do more "work".
3). Driveline angle advantages since the CJ5 is so short.

You're probably asking, then why go SOA to begin with? So am I!

Thoughts?
Unread 01-20-2011, 10:56 AM   #3
CSP

There's a thread on CJ's on 35s or larger tires. Many in that thread are spring over.

One way to lower the COG while spring over is to french the spring and shackle hangers into the frame rails rather than mounting them on the bottom of the rails.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2011, 11:06 AM   #4
Deadman 94 xj
1977 CJ5 

Ok, I'll check that out. Thanks.
Unread 01-20-2011, 11:49 AM   #5
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

Here is mine. YJ stock springs with widetrack axles and 33s. I am redoing everything but this was before disassembly.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2011, 12:16 PM   #6
Deadman 94 xj
1977 CJ5 

Thanks GraKee99, that doesn't look too high. I'd say it's right on the line of where I want to be, no higher.

Were you happy with the way the suspension performed? Basically any feedback, good or bad, would be great. Street and trail.
Unread 01-20-2011, 12:28 PM   #7
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Front

Rear

Spring over and 33s

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2011, 12:33 PM   #8
Deadman 94 xj
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
One way to lower the COG while spring over is to french the spring and shackle hangers into the frame rails rather than mounting them on the bottom of the rails.

Here's one I found that I like, for obvious reasons. This was taken out of a 4WD online article.

I like how he frenched in the rear. I'm not sure what he did on the shackle side though, if anything.

I don't know what he did up front. It looks like a fabbed rear hanger but I'm not sure if the center bolt sits closer to the frame or not. I'd need to look at mine again. For the front shackle, again, I'm not sure what he did but they look as if they might be frenched in as well.

No idea what springs he used, custom, ect. It almost looks like stock "narrow" CJ springs up front.

I think I'd be scared to cut into my frame like that. I guess a little plating on the outside would ease any worries.
Unread 01-20-2011, 12:34 PM   #9
Deadman 94 xj
1977 CJ5 

82JeepCJ7, nice jeep!

Stock shackles, YJ stock springs? That looks great!
Unread 01-20-2011, 01:01 PM   #10
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman 94 xj View Post
I think I'd be scared to cut into my frame like that. I guess a little plating on the outside would ease any worries.
The thing to do is build a "box" inside the frame rails that contain the ends of the springs. Plating won't do much when you take away that much on the bottom side of the rail.
Unread 01-20-2011, 01:16 PM   #11
Deadman 94 xj
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
The thing to do is build a "box" inside the frame rails that contain the ends of the springs. Plating won't do much when you take away that much on the bottom side of the rail.
Ok, I see what you're saying. I'm sure I can search around and find some details if I were to go that route.

Welding in there would prove quite challenging I'd imagine. Or do you think it's just a matter of proper execution? Build it first and stuff it in there type thing?
Unread 01-20-2011, 01:57 PM   #12
CSP

Yep, build it first and then incorporate that into the rail.
Unread 01-20-2011, 02:36 PM   #13
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman 94 xj View Post
82JeepCJ7, nice jeep!

Stock shackles, YJ stock springs? That looks great!
Those are the stock springs and shackles. I used the original sway bar links to build my own disconnects. Basically cut the ends off and welded on some DOM tube and solid bar, then drilled a cross hole where the hitch pin goes in. The links are shorter than stock due to using the original front spring plates. The plates have to be switched side to side in order to use the sway bar stud. But in doing so, you have to either slot, or fill and redrill the holes for the U-bolts because the one U-bolt is bigger on the passenger side that goes around the pumpkin. I used a 4" drop pittman arm and my drag link came out flat. I get no bump steer at all. It rides great. Handles great. And the flex is awesome.

A friend of mine was running a 4" spring lift on his CJ. After wheeling with me one day and seeing how well mine flexed compared to his, we did a SOA on his about 2 weeks later using Wrangler springs. He ended up trading his lift springs strait across for the stock springs.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
Unread 01-20-2011, 02:46 PM   #14
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Here is a couple old pics.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
Unread 01-20-2011, 02:51 PM   #15
Deadman 94 xj
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7 View Post
Those are the stock springs and shackles. I used the original sway bar links to build my own disconnects. Basically cut the ends off and welded on some DOM tube and solid bar, then drilled a cross hole where the hitch pin goes in. The links are shorter than stock due to using the original front spring plates. The plates have to be switched side to side in order to use the sway bar stud. But in doing so, you have to either slot, or fill and redrill the holes for the U-bolts because the one U-bolt is bigger on the passenger side that goes around the pumpkin. I used a 4" drop pittman arm and my drag link came out flat. I get no bump steer at all. It rides great. Handles great. And the flex is awesome.

A friend of mine was running a 4" spring lift on his CJ. After wheeling with me one day and seeing how well mine flexed compared to his, we did a SOA on his about 2 weeks later using Wrangler springs. He ended up trading his lift springs strait across for the stock springs.

That's awesome. Thanks for the help and the feedback, here and in the other thread. I definitely plan to run the sway bar on the street and that helps. That jeep sits perfect.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.