Pick Some of Your Brains - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Pick Some of Your Brains

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 04-26-2010, 08:59 AM   #1
mdnetranger1
1979 CJ5 

Pick Some of Your Brains

I just had an idea and was wondering what everyone on here thinks. I have a 1979 CJ5 with a 304 motor that runs ok, but might be at the end of its life soon. I currently have a 2002 Jeep Liberty with the 3.7L V6, strong motor, and automatic trans, but not a 4WD. I plan on buying a new car for the wife in the next 6 months and was considering putting the 3.7L V6 and trans in the CJ5, would the rear axel from the Liberty work on the CJ5? Also, would the transfer case and stock front axel work with the V6? I am not an expert and would more than likly have a shop do the work. Would this cost just an enormous amount of money to do? Or should i just get the 304 rebuilt and fixed up?

Thanks

mdnetranger1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2010, 09:11 AM   #2
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

Your TCase would require a pretty expensive adapter to mate to the Liberty Tranny and probably wouldnt be that desireable anyway.

the 3.7L and tranny could probably be made to work but you'd have the shortest driveshaft in history on a CJ5. There are MUCH better engine swap candidates out there that can be done much cheaper IMO.

Automatics in CJ5's generally dont work because of the length of the transmissions resulting in steep driveline angles
Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
kickingprop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2010, 04:56 PM   #3
mdnetranger1
1979 CJ5 

What about just using the motor, think it could be made to work with the T-150 and transfer case?
Unread 05-02-2010, 05:12 PM   #4
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

To use the 3.7L, you're going to need an adapter plate. I'm not sure what the bellhousing pattern is on that engine, but I can tell you for certain it is not the same as on the AMC six and V8. The 242ci I6 was the last production engine to use that bellhousing pattern.
Unread 05-02-2010, 08:43 PM   #5
Matt_G
1979 CJ5 

just got to a junk yard and pull a motor from yj, or find a 4.2 someone will sell to you. sell the liberty and use it to pay for the transplant.
Matt_G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2010, 09:12 PM   #6
SecretSquirrel
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_G View Post
just got to a junk yard and pull a motor from yj, or find a 4.2 someone will sell to you. sell the liberty and use it to pay for the transplant.
This gets my vote.
SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2010, 09:16 PM   #7
crcj7
1986 CJ7 

you could probaly sell the libby motor or just the whole thing and get something pretty cool .. maby a ls motor or a 4.0
Unread 05-03-2010, 08:26 AM   #8
BAAL
1995 YJ Wrangler 

the libby motor has electronic throttle to so you will have alot of wiring. Yes a rebuild of the 304 would probably be cheaper if you have shop install the libby motor in the cj.
BAAL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2010, 08:54 AM   #9
mdnetranger1
1979 CJ5 

Thanks guys, i was just seeing what options I might have with this liberty. I love my 304 engine and will probably have it rebuilt.
Unread 05-03-2010, 12:05 PM   #10
crcj7
1986 CJ7 

i would just pick up a 360 it would bolt right up
Unread 05-03-2010, 02:56 PM   #11
timmayham
1995 ZJ 

I agree 100% on the sell the liberty and put something else in the CJ. Heck I would think for what you could get for even a ratty liberty would be enough to fully fund rebuilding the 304, slapping a cam and intake on it and topping it all off with some kind of throttle body fuel injection. It would be way easier too, in my opinion.

Last edited by timmayham; 05-03-2010 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: spelling error
timmayham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2010, 04:36 PM   #12
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crcj7 View Post
i would just pick up a 360 it would bolt right up
Just make sure it's an AMC 360 (say, from an FSJ or a J-series.) The MOPAR 360 is an LA-block, and would again take some adapting.

The AMC 360, however, will drop right in place (as would the AMC 401, if you find one...)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.