PIAA lens popped off - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > PIAA lens popped off

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!

Unread 04-23-2014, 04:30 PM   #1
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Location: Albany~town, Oregon, Oregon my home and for 200 billion slugs
PIAA lens popped off

Greetings from Oregon, where we kiss where the sun don't shine.
I lucked into a pair of PIAA fog? lights and was cleaning 'em up when the lens popped out. It apprears to have some sort of white sticky gasket. Over two days I've yet to hear from PIAA, is there some sort of pliable sticky RTV sealant out there?

turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2014, 07:15 AM   #2
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Since sending two emails from the contact us link for PIAA and receiving no response over two days I called 'em yesterday and they said to use Gorilla Glue to affix the lens to the body of these lights. I've used Gorilla Glue before and am dubious about its sealing properties. Any other reccomendations would be welcome.
Unread 04-24-2014, 07:41 AM   #3
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Maybe this would work. I used it to attach Plexiglass to wood it worked great. I got it from my local Hardware Store for under $5.
http://www.grainger.com/product/22N7...140424133951:s
waterdowg is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2014, 08:15 AM   #4
CSP

Butyl rubber. It comes in a rope like form and is very sticky. Attach it to the lens than put the lens on the housing and heat it up in an oven at 225 for seven minutes. Remove from oven and hold/clamp the parts together until they cool a bit.

This is a tried method that's done when people retrofit their reflector headlights with projector HIDs. The headlight housings are taken apart then put back together once the projectors have been installed.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2014, 10:30 AM   #5
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbogus View Post
Since sending two emails from the contact us link for PIAA and receiving no response over two days I called 'em yesterday and they said to use Gorilla Glue to affix the lens to the body of these lights. I've used Gorilla Glue before and am dubious about its sealing properties. Any other reccomendations would be welcome.
I put some rubber spacers on my cowl for my one piece front flip clip to rest on back in 2000 with gorilla snot and they have held solid.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2014, 10:37 AM   #6
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Thanks Waterdowg I'm leaning towards silicone as that is what appears to be how these lens were attached in the first place.
and Thank you CSP, Butyl is great stuff when it's available. My last project using butyl was adhering the heater core in the plenum in 'Easy Bake' my black E150 van. Also I recall this was the stuff to install the windshield in my '66 Malibu I had years ago. The trouble is butyl is unavailable anywhere in the mid valley area (Willamette) and I lucked into some from an independant Window glass installer that had some in his toolbox he could spare. Even so, this butyl rope's diameter wouldn't lend itself to the small lens of these plastic lights, and as far as heating them in an oven I think the plastic housings would melt.
Unread 04-24-2014, 10:45 AM   #7
CSP

That's the hard part, is finding the butyl. I got mine online. No worries on melting the plastic at that low temperature and for such a short duration.

The headlight housings people take apart for HID retrofits are plastic too. Did my own for my tow rig recently. They were just barely hot enough to be uncomfortable without gloves.
Unread 04-24-2014, 02:02 PM   #8
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Thanks Mike, I may go that route.
Well CSP, went on a shopping foray during my lunch and it turns out that silicone adhesive is not available in this damm consumer desert either. I may go the butyl route if I can find it thin enough.
Unread 04-24-2014, 04:03 PM   #9
CSP

This is about 100 times more than what you would need for $15. You can roll the rope out in your hands stretching it to make it thinner.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/acc...bber-glue.html

Amazon might be another source.
Unread 04-25-2014, 08:25 AM   #10
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Great link CSP! Thanks so much!
It looks like access to reach the bulb is through the back of these lights by means of 2 pair of #2 phillips screws so on one hand I could seal 'em up. However if I need to clean the lens again it'd be nice to be able to field strip them again. I did finally receive an email from PIAA "Thank you for contacting us. You will need to use a silicone adhesive or some kind of flexible epoxy". Okaaaayyyyy as there are several makers and each has more than a couple of products I think I need a tighter reccomendation. GE silicone adhesive? Permatex RTV? Devcon Plastic Welder?

I saw GE silicone similar to stuff Waterdoug mentioned at the local hardware store I may ultimately have to try that.
Unread 04-25-2014, 02:42 PM   #11
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

I just got another email from PIAA "That is an old school P-1000 lamp. We no longer have any bulbs for that lamp. You can try and search the web for some part number is 13355. As far as a specific sealant I would go with and epoxy it will have better strength than an RTV".

So it looks like I need to find a high endurance epoxy now, if I choose inkeeping with PIAA's reccomendation.
Unread 04-25-2014, 03:49 PM   #12
CSP

JB Weld

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.