Phoenix Rising- A "Flame Off" Restoration? - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Phoenix Rising- A "Flame Off" Restoration?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 12-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #76
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Thanks.

Unread 12-21-2013, 05:41 PM   #77
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Any updates yet? Hopefully you got all your permits, and the new garage is finished already!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ha...build-1409432/
hasselback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 11:08 AM   #78
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Nothing yet other than there is disagreement between parties. People much smarter than I are... "corresponding". "My people" have counseled me to "not be in a rush".

Being retired, timing my withdrawals is important as far as taxes go. So much is waiting for the new year.

In the meantime...

I have a 10 year old grandson who is also anxious to get started. We've talked a bit about "Phoenix's" name and the mythology and he drew a picture of what he thought a Phoenix might look like and gave it to me. I've located an airbrush artist that I'm going to talk to about copying it onto the glove box. It's stiff, but the boy has talent and I want to encourage him. Besides, it's cool! And we can't wait to get going! This will be a great project for ALL my grandkids and me!

Here it is...

To keep myself from going too crazy, I've started to try and recover my tools. The fire and smoke and foam coated everything, and for a while the tool box drawers held the tools AND water. With a new bench grinder, wire wheel and a polishing wheel, I've been cleaning each and every socket, wrench, extension, etc.

Don't give up, I haven't. And learn patience as I am! One of those things in life that I didn't learn well is understanding I'm not always in charge. Boy am I learning it now!

Thanks!
Unread 12-30-2013, 11:35 AM   #79
chadsd

That is amazing art for a 10 year old, well pretty awesome for anyone. Keep your head up but your nose to the grind stone. Your story has inspired me to get back in the garage and actually have managed to get my 20 year old step son out there to help some. Thank you again for sharing.
chadsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 03:27 PM   #80
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

Yeah, I'm 42 and can't draw nowhere near that good. He's got some natural God given talent! I believe there is a plan and a reason for everything and man, what I would give to have had my dad help me do his old Jeep. Looks like some memories in the making for you and your grandkids!
bradleybrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2014, 12:15 PM   #81
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

How we coming along? It has been a while since an update.

cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
'82 WHITE CJ-8 Build Thread
'83 GREEN UK CJ-7 Build Thread
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2014, 04:55 PM   #82
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

There's nothing new to report, unfortunately. Sides are entrenched so deeply I'm looking at the tractor shed. The problem there is that the electrical is really undersized for a shop.

I've been looking for new power tools and is that ever depressing! We don't make much any more. EVERYTHING is made in China. Milwaukee even has their own plant there. Some DeWalt is made in Mexico but it's mostly made in china, so is Skil and Porter Cable. I've been told that Makita makes more corded drills here than the "US" labels do. And their HQ is in Japan. I'd be happy to settle for the Western Hemisphere! So who do you support? I support clerks and warehousemen in America I suppose, but not factory workers. I guess I go with the best guarantee.

Jeep wise, I've been doing some scraping and lots of snooping around and trying to decide what exactly is recoverable and what has to be replaced. It's a bummer, but I don't want to get too disassembled if I have to move it.

Most likely my first overhaul will be the steering column. I can rebuild that in the hobby room I guess, and then the dash. Hopefully by then I'll have some answers I like.

Not really exciting, is it?
Unread 01-13-2014, 03:10 PM   #83
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

It is depressing. A while back, my youngest girl was looking at something and said "look daddy, I've never seen this before. It says made in Canada. Everything I've ever seen has made in china on it." It almost brought a tear to my eye. I told her that when I was her age everything had made in the USA on it. I can remember when Porter Cable had a plant up in Jackson TN which isn't too far from my home. It is pretty sad. Hopefully they will get things sorted out soon and you will know where you stand and you can get started. Keep the faith man........sometimes I guess that's all we can do.
bradleybrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 05:57 PM   #84
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

WOO HOO! A Bit Of Progress!

Finally, I have a commitment from all in the Trust to use the Tractor Shed!

The good news... LOTS of room!

The not so good news... only 30amps and it's bare with the exception of some shelving.

Now I can start acquiring!
Unread 01-14-2014, 06:05 PM   #85
Jon In Tucson
Jesus Is Lord!

1983 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot View Post
Finally, I have a commitment from all in the Trust to use the Tractor Shed!

The good news... LOTS of room!

The not so good news... only 30amps and it's bare with the exception of some shelving.

Now I can start acquiring!
Yeah, but its got a tractor... That pretty cool!
Looks like you have your work cut out for you, for sure. God bless.
Jon In Tucson

"The secret to a Jeep, especially a CJ, is you can't
panic." - Mike

"I may not be a smart man, Jenny, but I do know grounds."
Jon In Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 11:09 PM   #86
WSS
Ps:91

1972 CJ5 

Great news! Nice spot, do you have it long enough to do Phoenix proud?

Were do we send these parts?

WSS

Our Yellow 72 CJ5 build thread

Yellow Jeep club member #73802
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 06:30 AM   #87
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

I am not sure who all in the trust is, but hopefully you can have it for a while to get it all fixed up... how far away is it?

cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
'82 WHITE CJ-8 Build Thread
'83 GREEN UK CJ-7 Build Thread
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 08:40 AM   #88
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

I'm sitting on the edge of +/- 26 acres. Those acres are on a couple parcels. My house and the shed share the same parcel. In fact, the electricity feeding it is on my meter.

So what seems to be the obvious is sometimes "cluttered" by what different people think is "fair". In everyone's own personal view, they're not being unreasonable, but looking out for their own interests.

In essence, I rent from the Trust. It sounds really "convenient" if you're a distance away, but trust me on this one, the house is far from being a "palace". And when from a distance you hear that someone acquired the shed, the defensive antennae go up. Never mind part of the "rent" is paying for a garage...

A couple observations...

It's amazing how sometimes there can be an amazing lack of trust in a Trust,

and...

Trust does NOT necessarily equal money!

But all that is behind us and finally I can begin "forensic deconstruction" I need to really look at what is salvageable because this project could get out of hand quick if I'm not careful!
Unread 01-15-2014, 08:52 AM   #89
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Oh, and per a request...

It's a John Deere 4020...

The crawler is an IH 500 from 1966 and there's a Ford 4000 hiding in the corner. There was a JD Model A "popper" from 1949 in there too, but it was moved out and is being repainted.

Oh, and the "cube" in the corner is a bathroom. Woohoo! Indoor plumbing!
Unread 01-15-2014, 08:55 AM   #90
WSS
Ps:91

1972 CJ5 

I'm getting a distinct "toy story" or "cars" movie feel here. What happens to phoenix when the doors are shut?

Our Yellow 72 CJ5 build thread

Yellow Jeep club member #73802
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.