Phoenix Rising- A "Flame Off" Restoration? - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Phoenix Rising- A "Flame Off" Restoration?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 11-24-2013, 07:21 AM   #61
ginger-mech
1963 CJ5 

Windknot, you mentioned gallows humor a couple of days back. The way I see it, if you can laugh your way to the gallows, you'll die a happy man. I'm lookin' forward to where this is going. Might be inspiration enough to get mine out of boxes and back on the road!

ginger-mech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2013, 08:39 AM   #62
Batty505a
1998 TJ Wrangler 

What's the stats wind knot ?
Batty505a is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2013, 10:08 AM   #63
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Funny you should ask...

You know how derisive the term "previous owner" is in the CJ world? It extends into real life as well.

We're into the process of determining whether or not the garage was built with a permit. If it wasn't and we can't convince the town that there really is a footing that's proper, well let's say I'll have plenty of riff raff for a garden wall. Hopefully we can convince them we're good. A "rebuild" permit is $80 while a "new" is hundreds.

The garage is down though, and that feels good. But until the garage is up, the Jeep sits. It's a good time for me though to figure out what I want. I do know that as beautiful as some of you guys' Jeeps are, this Jeep is going back out on the trails. That means most likely a one stage urethane paint job and such. But I can still have fun...

Without storage, searching for tools can only be preliminary. I really want to buy American stuff, but that is going to be hard to do. I'm trying pawn shops first for the power tools and a compressor, but as far as new goes, I've found "Assembled In America From Globally Sourced Parts". The problem is if I go to Harbor Freight where I can buy genuine Chinese Army made stuff, I can get potentially more bang for the buck. Guarantees and warrantees are about equal. Principles can be expensive I guess.

It's weird though. I went to sweep the porch and... "oh yeah, I don't have a broom." That excuse won't work for long though.

It's all going to work out though, and no one will be able to say I didn't have the time to think things out!

Patience.

Thanks for the interest.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2013, 10:57 AM   #64
chadsd

Windknot, first of I'm sorry about your jeep. I'm a lurker and don't post very often but your story pulls at my heart strings. Just keep at it and everything will work itself out. God bless and Happy Thanksgiving. Chad.
chadsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2013, 09:23 PM   #65
WSS
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot View Post
Funny you should ask...

You know how derisive the term "previous owner" is in the CJ world? It extends into real life as well.

We're into the process of determining whether or not the garage was built with a permit. If it wasn't and we can't convince the town that there really is a footing that's proper, well let's say I'll have plenty of riff raff for a garden wall. Hopefully we can convince them we're good. A "rebuild" permit is $80 while a "new" is hundreds.

The garage is down though, and that feels good. But until the garage is up, the Jeep sits. It's a good time for me though to figure out what I want. I do know that as beautiful as some of you guys' Jeeps are, this Jeep is going back out on the trails. That means most likely a one stage urethane paint job and such. But I can still have fun...

Without storage, searching for tools can only be preliminary. I really want to buy American stuff, but that is going to be hard to do. I'm trying pawn shops first for the power tools and a compressor, but as far as new goes, I've found "Assembled In America From Globally Sourced Parts". The problem is if I go to Harbor Freight where I can buy genuine Chinese Army made stuff, I can get potentially more bang for the buck. Guarantees and warrantees are about equal. Principles can be expensive I guess.

It's weird though. I went to sweep the porch and... "oh yeah, I don't have a broom." That excuse won't work for long though.

It's all going to work out though, and no one will be able to say I didn't have the time to think things out!

Patience.

Thanks for the interest.
Amazing what can fly under the radar during a escrow title search. That only happens to me 50% of the time, the half when I sell, it shows up like a sore thumb, the half when I buy, it does not show up till later. Is that Murphy?

Happy Thanks Giving!
WSS
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2013, 11:18 AM   #66
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Permits usually don't equate to any building codes. Most codes didn't exist till the early 80's and then it was sparse, however permits were around way before that. If it's not about "money" for them they should allow an exploratory dig down alongside the existing foundation to reveal what is there, which is a legitimate concern. The permit most likely won't list any construction detail, but it will let them know if they already soaked someone for a permit fee or not!
Renegade82 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #67
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

If it's under 1000 square feet, building codes do not even come into play for a garage, unless it's attached to the house. If your municipality has a Zoning ordinance, then Zoning permits would come into play though. Even then, if the structure existed before the Zoning ordinance was in effect, it would be considered a legal non conforming structure. If they give you a hard time over permitting, ask them when their Zoning ordinance took effect, because every structure that was around at that time was would have been considered legal, then tell them that your garage was built before then!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ha...build-1409432/
hasselback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2013, 12:51 PM   #68
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot View Post
If it wasn't and we can't convince the town that there really is a footing that's proper, well let's say I'll have plenty of riff raff for a garden wall. Hopefully we can convince them we're good. A "rebuild" permit is $80 while a "new" is hundreds.
Oh, and a Zoning ordinance doesn't give a crap if a footing is proper. Don't let them mislead you. I see it happen all the time. I may not be good for Jeep advise, But as a Municipal Zoning and Code Official, this is advise I'm comfortable giving.
Unread 11-29-2013, 01:51 PM   #69
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

A code official! And here I had you pegged for a smart guy! Most of them seem to have come straight from the fry grill at McDonalds. But maybe your one of the ones with common sense and have at least a partial understanding of building construction and engineering. I probably shouldn't judge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasselback View Post
If it's under 1000 square feet, building codes do not even come into play for a garage, unless it's attached to the house.
True, however a lot of these larger municipalities have reduced that figure, which btw I believe was originally 1200 sf. but after just doing a review thru the act on L&I's site, they may have covertly removed that exemption. At least I couldn't find it.
This building code act has been anything but "uniform". They can't even keep the regs coming from one IRC book. Reverting the wall bracing section back to the 06IRC was just plain stupid.

But I digress. He's not even in Pa. so maybe he's under a different code than the ICC regime.
Renegade82 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2013, 08:22 PM   #70
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Without storage, searching for tools can only be preliminary. I really want to buy American stuff, but that is going to be hard to do. I'm trying pawn shops first for the power tools and a compressor, but as far as new goes, I've found "Assembled In America From Globally Sourced Parts". The problem is if I go to Harbor Freight where I can buy genuine Chinese Army made stuff, I can get potentially more bang for the buck. Guarantees and warranties are about equal. Principles can be expensive I guess.
One thing to keep in mind is not just the price and warranty. Using cheap wrenches and rounding off half your fasteners will be a lot more frustrating than saving and spending the money for good quality tools made of quality materials that won't flex, bend, or break like the China Freight crap will.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2013, 10:02 AM   #71
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
A code official! And here I had you pegged for a smart guy! Most of them seem to have come straight from the fry grill at McDonalds. But maybe your one of the ones with common sense.......
Doubtful, like the rest of us he owns a Jeep. Common sense goes out the window the minute you sign the title.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2013, 01:38 PM   #72
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwhore View Post
Doubtful, like the rest of us he owns a Jeep. Common sense goes out the window the minute you sign the title.
Well there ya go! I actually have not signed the title yet! Was waiting till I'm ready to drive it, then was going to get it titled as an antique! Lol.

And if Windnot's garage does fall under a more restrictive local code, it should fall under the international existing building code rather than the IRC. But we shall see. Hopefully he's got his permit already!
Unread 12-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #73
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

Our local codes are all about revenue for the local government. Inspections are to keep someone from getting sued. Common sense and understanding of sound design/construction standards have no place.
Unread 12-02-2013, 09:58 AM   #74
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

"Smarter people than I" are talking, but his is what the situation seems like...

Governments want their fees and insurance companies delay, distract and deny. It will be worked out.

In the meantime, the Jeep has been rolled into the tractor shed for the winter. Snow is expected now on Wednesday. Not too much, but just enough to make things muddy enough for Jack to track dirt into the house!

Jack loves snow...

But on a more serious note, I did get under the Jeep and things look VERY good!

Patience my friends. This is a good life lesson for me.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2013, 11:09 AM   #75
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I found a 77 engine harness that would plug into that 77 dash harness.
It's yours if you want it but Some wires would probably be better off being replaced.
At least you would have the connectors. It's real simple to do.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.