Phoenix Rising- A "Flame Off" Restoration? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Phoenix Rising- A "Flame Off" Restoration?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 11-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #46
kbarwall
1985 CJ7 

Windknot,

I am not sure at this point what parts ill have, but whatever I have extra your welcome to as well, I guess we will just need to wait and see what you need.

Also, I really like the stance of your jeep. DO you have a prior build thread I could peruse?

Best-Regards,
Kevin

kbarwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2013, 09:55 PM   #47
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

There really isn't too much to tell about the Jeep except that it has reversed shackles up front and a 2 inch shackle lift. You can get into trouble with shackle lifts if you're not careful; the longer the shackle I believe the more susceptible it is to side pressures. A spring lift probably is better. These will be some of my upcoming considerations.

I like reversed shackles for where I drive. I'm going anywhere from sand to volleyball sized rocks in my trips and I believe the reversed shackles give a more comfortable, forgiving ride. There ARE drawbacks though. I'd say the biggest is that the Jeep will nose dive during hard braking. If your Jeep is your commuter for work, that might not be a good thing.

The tires are 31s. So I'm really not lifted very high. It does just fine for me though. It's also a narrow track, so that may make it appear taller than it is.

For me I feel I have more than enough ground clearance. But again, I don't do boulders much. (At least not on purpose!) Forest and desert trails and roads, finding ghost towns and Indian ruins are what I do. I'm no Speed Racer, that's for sure.

Hope that answers.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2013, 10:32 PM   #48
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Windnot,

If you decide to rebuild, and you need a new carb, I have a 6-month old Weber 32/36 that I will gladly donate to the cause.

I may have a few other odds and ends laying around that you could use, as well.

Let me know, my friend.

Matt
Not to shag your pride, but many of us have spare parts we'll likely never use. I put a wooden Grant steering wheel on, and the black rubber wheel I bought a week before this one sits in the box. TAKE IT!
POST UP WHAT YOU NEED.
I've got the brake line from the prop valve to the Pass/front wheel. TAKE IT!
Good used tail lights (went NOS) TAKE 'EM!
This isn't charity, this is us SHARING. We do that pretty darn well around here. If you need something, let us know & PM ONLY that person w/your address. Maybe get a UPS box?
You know we're all dying to help out, any way we can. And this is the only way I know. I wanna see it finished, w/a few of my parts that I'm just tripping over. Plus we can write it off on our taxes! (Man, I always gotta go deviant in the end!).
God Bless going forward
BTW, the projects' Ram-Rod is leaning on the front bumper. He's the one who INSISTS we keep it Loden Green Metallic (L7). All paint charts say L7 wasn't available in '79, and the PO was a great bud, so I know he didn't paint it. And I know he's thinking "Enjoy it now Old Man, 'cuz 7 years from now, this sucker is MINE! Yeah, when I get my license you'd better sleep w/1 eye open".
Unread 11-21-2013, 11:11 PM   #49
WSS
II Cor 13:14

1972 CJ5 

^^There it is, the truth^^

Well said

Winknot, your gonna need a storage container before you get on to your garage rebuild.

Our Yellow 72 CJ5 build thread

Yellow Jeep club member #73802
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 12:19 AM   #50
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Thanx WSS. I'd be willing to bet that amongst us, we have enough spares laying around to build a complete CJ. If everybody were to load their spares, meet in the middle of the country, we'd have it together in a weekend!
Unread 11-22-2013, 10:55 AM   #51
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

And so it begins!

It's a start!

Rain is expected all day today and tomorrow, so realistically it looks like Monday is THE day!

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 12:04 PM   #52
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

"Rain is expected all day today and tomorrow, so realistically it looks like Monday is THE day! "-WindKnot
Let me guess, you've had a drought? And now ya gotta do something and it rains! I'm putting the blower on my tractor this weekend so it WON'T snow at all then. Hang in there, Brother-man.
Unread 11-22-2013, 02:28 PM   #53
dslywalker
1983 CJ7 

Windknot glad to see you've maintained your sanity thru this
Down here in Phoenix so anything you need checked on in this area or anything i can help with let me know.
I also have a bell housing ,bell crank and linkage and t4 tranny parts left from a conversion i'm doing.
There yours if you need them.There off my 83
Good Luck
Unread 11-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #54
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch1200 View Post
If everybody were to load their spares, meet in the middle of the country, we'd have it together in a weekend!
Windknot is located in one the most beautiful areas on this planet. Sedona, Jerome, Williams, Verde Valley, The Grand Canyon, etc.. The wheeling is unreal, cameras are a must. A CJ get together to bring parts would be awesome I think. Maybe Williams or Sedona? I'm in if we do it. It's about 8/9hrs from me.

Unread 11-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #55
TKFireman
1980 CJ7 

Subscribed for the garage and the jeep build. I hate it for ya WindKnot, but am sure both will be rebuilt better than ever.
Unread 11-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #56
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

"It's about 8/9hrs from me" =WSS
For me it's 34-36 hours per Mapquest. Maybe I'll ship the parts and hop a Chopper out since my CJ isn't complete yet. WAY behind schedule. W-Knot will have his finished before me. And all I need is paint & Wiring!
My cruise control is reaching down, and twisting the idle up to just below the rev limiter! Maybe I'll bring some "Thanksgiving Meth"(tm), like the Mayflower people cooked. Should cut my time down to 20 hours. I'm going to need a head count to know how many pounds to bring. 50# ought to do it, no?
chopper1.jpg

Unread 11-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #57
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Ya, the trails are mellow, 50 'l do.

Unread 11-22-2013, 07:33 PM   #58
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot View Post

It's a start!

Rain is expected all day today and tomorrow, so realistically it looks like Monday is THE day!

Hah, I just had 2 dumpsters dropped off at my Barn. One for all the steel jeep parts and one for trash.

I decided to just get rid of all the parts for projects I've been saving. Running out of years to complete them all.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #59
TrebleHook

1979 CJ7 

Looking forward to this! Good luck...and start listing the parts you know you're going to need. If somebody doesn't have them -- I'd be happy to chip in to get them! Call it Jeepforum/Karma insurance!

Cheers,
Dylan
1983 CJ8 Scrambler Laredo - 258 MOPAR MPFI/T-5/Dana 300 - 4.10 Dana 44 Rear/Dana 30 Front w/ ARB lockers front/rear - 4" BDS Suspension w/ Fox 2.0 Shocks - Ground Pounder Fab Front Shorty and Rear Spare Custom Bumpers - PSC Steering w/ Borgeson Shaft - 33x10.50 BFG KM2 on 15x8 Mickey Thompson Classic III - Work in progress.....
TrebleHook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 05:22 PM   #60
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Sorry to hear about your fire! Bill shared some pictures with me by text that must be from another post. Looks like you have some work ahead, but on the flip side its a chance to build it "bigger and better" than last time.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.