Performance Fuel Injection 4.2 - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 Old 03-16-2017, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
oceanicmike
CJ7 

Garage
Performance Fuel Injection 4.2

I have this system and have been pretty happy with it so far.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 03-16-2017, 11:54 PM
BagusJeep
1981 CJ7 

i liked the bit about the ECM no being waterproof and mounting it in the cab. It assumes the cab is dry!!!

How much did you pay, if you don't mind my asking? (Yes, it is rude)

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #3 of 35 Old 03-17-2017, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
oceanicmike
CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
i liked the bit about the ECM no being waterproof and mounting it in the cab. It assumes the cab is dry!!!

I know haha!

How much did you pay, if you don't mind my asking? (Yes, it is rude)
I don't mind. I paid $1000 for the kit. I did send them back the electric fuel pump and bought a Walbro pump. The one that came in the kit was ridiculously loud! I also had to buy a separate air cleaner/filter assembly since the kit didn't come with one.

post #4 of 35 Old 03-17-2017, 07:46 AM
JeepdaddyRC
1983 CJ5 

I have this TBI. Tell me about the Walbro fuel pump. I agree the one supplied is loud. I have 2 CJs, one with this TBI and one with the OEM Carter BBD carb. The TBI was installed by the PO. I was surprised that I have better acceleration/throttle response with the OEM Carter BBD carb. Maybe the TBI is not set up right. Thoughts?
post #5 of 35 Old 03-17-2017, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
oceanicmike
CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepdaddyRC View Post
I have this TBI. Tell me about the Walbro fuel pump. I agree the one supplied has an obnoxious sound. I have 2 CJs, one with this TBI and one with the OEM Carter BBD carb. The TBI was installed by the PO. I was surprised that I have better acceleration/throttle response with the OEM Carter BBD carb. Maybe the TBI is not set up right. Thoughts?
The walbro is pricey but its like night & day and I got money back when I sent the them the original fuel pump back after complaining how loud it was. Its funny, you can actually hear the pump humming in the video with the jeep running.

Anyone buying this kit I would ask them not to include their pump and see if they would discount the kit.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BT1C5VQ...vert-amazon-20

What is your timing set to? Do you have any vacuum leaks? Fuel filter partially clogged or dirty fuel, bad ground for the TBI system, O2 sensor dirty or not installed correct. How does it run other than that issue?

Mine isn't a speed demon now but I'd like to think its faster and more responsive then with the old carter.
post #6 of 35 Old 03-17-2017, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
oceanicmike
CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
I have this TBI. Tell me about the Walbro fuel pump. I agree the one supplied has an obnoxious sound. I have 2 CJs, one with this TBI and one with the OEM Carter BBD carb. The TBI was installed by the PO. I was surprised that I have better acceleration/throttle response with the OEM Carter BBD carb. Maybe the TBI is not set up right. Thoughts?
I forgot, also check to see if throttle plates and TPS voltage isncorrect. Watch the video
post #7 of 35 Old 03-17-2017, 09:26 PM
justals
1986 CJ7 

Is this the Hesco kit you are discussing?

85 CJ - Renegade; 85 CJ - Base; 86 CJ - Laredo
14 JKU - Rubicon; 14 Cherokee - Latitude
post #8 of 35 Old 03-17-2017, 10:56 PM
backupoffmefoo
1981 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:

Could be two different engines in different conditions. Are the compressions similar between the two Jeeps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want my two dollars!
post #9 of 35 Old 03-18-2017, 11:01 AM
JeepdaddyRC
1983 CJ5 

Oceanimike, just checked timing (did not disconnect blue wire). It's at 22 degrees BTDC at idle. Again, I did not disconnect the blue timing wire. Just checked it as is. Lots of Carter BBD experience, zero TBI experience. Agreed, I heard the fuel pump sound in the video. Does the Walbro sound better and is it a simple bolt on swap?

Backup, interestingly the Carter BBD carbed engine has many more mile, is tired and has significant blow by. The TBI engine only has 75K miles. In addition to poorer throttle response, it acts like there is no throttle return spring. Engine RPM slow to come back down, makes shifting sound like you are a rookie. All help appreciated.
post #10 of 35 Old 03-19-2017, 05:00 AM
schardein
1983 CJ7 

Sounds like something isn't right. I don't have any experience with that setup though. I had the Mopar/Hesco kit in my CJ7 for about 20 years and it worked great. It's going in my CJ5 now.

Acceleration difference could be related to gearing/tire size?

1983 CJ7, 5.3, NV3550, D300 4:1, Fr D44 Detroit, Rr D44 OX, 4.56, 35" SSTs on beadlocks
post #11 of 35 Old 03-19-2017, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
oceanicmike
CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Oceanimike, just checked timing (did not disconnect anything). It's at 18-20 degrees BTDC. Again, I did not disconnect the blue timing wire. Just checked it as is. Lots of Carter BBD experience, zero TBI experience. Agreed, I heard that nasty fuel pump sound in the video. Does the Walbro sound better and is it a simple bolt on swap?

Backup, interestingly the Carter BBD carbed engine has many more mile, is tired and has significant blow by. The TBI engine only has 75K miles. In addition to poorer throttle response, it acts like there is no throttle return spring. Engine RPM slow to come back down, makes shifting sound like you are a rookie. All help apprecaited.
You have to disconnect the blue wire to check correct timing after its warmed up. You should notice the idle drop down as soon as its disconnected, I set mine to 6 degrees.

The only time I hear the Walbro pump is when I key on to let it prime. After it starts you cannot hear it. Depending on where it is installed, its pretty simple to replace. Make sure your filter is before the pump and not after.

How is the throttle cable installed? You have to modify a bracket of some kind to attach it to the TBI. Maybe however the PO has it installed its not returning correctly.

You can always call or email Kevin Witte from Performance Fuel Injection. He is very knowledgeable.

Let me know how you make out.
post #12 of 35 Old 03-22-2017, 10:52 AM
JeepdaddyRC
1983 CJ5 

Does anyone else have experience with this Performance TBI system on the 258? Besides the fairly loud electric fuel pump, what worked well, what failed?
post #13 of 35 Old 03-29-2017, 10:19 AM
JeepdaddyRC
1983 CJ5 

Update: Just had a lengthy and helpful talk with owner Kevin Witte over the phone. Outstanding customer service. He stands behind his product and was willing to help. He was very generous with his time, answered all my questions and brainstormed with me. He is a big CJ fan and has this TBI on his own CJ.

In summary, the symptoms on my 1983 Jeep CJ with Performance TBI are:
1. an immediate drop (then increase) in timing with throttle,
2. slower throttle response than the OEM Carter BBD carb
3. RPM slow to come back down after hitting the throttle (as if there was not throttle return spring - but there is).

Will keep you updated as I proceed.
oceanicmike likes this.
post #14 of 35 Old 03-29-2017, 11:33 AM
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Update: Just had a lengthy and helpful talk with owner Kevin Witte over the phone. Outstanding customer service. He stands behind his product and was willing to help. He was very generous with his time, answered all my questions and brainstormed with me. He is a big CJ fan and has this TBI on his own CJ.

In summary, the symptoms on my 1983 Jeep CJ with Performance TBI are:
1. an immediate drop (then increase) in timing with throttle,
2. slower throttle response than the OEM Carter BBD carb
3. RPM slow to come back down after hitting the throttle (as if there was not throttle return spring - but there is).

Will keep you updated as I proceed.
Sounds like you are using the wrong vacuum port for distributor advance.

1985 CJ7 with 1994 4.6, Dana 44 4.10 TrueTracs
2001 TJ 4.0 Dana 44 4.10 TrueTracs
post #15 of 35 Old 03-29-2017, 12:05 PM
JeepdaddyRC
1983 CJ5 

This TBI system has an HEI distributor as part of the package. Advance is welded and vacuum advance is not used. The remanufactured 1227747 ECM (with chip #J2581065) controls spark.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.