PCV/Vacuum/DS Oil Leak/ HELP! - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > PCV/Vacuum/DS Oil Leak/ HELP!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 04-30-2013, 07:44 PM   #46
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Surprised no one has said anything about the lack of oil in the rockers on cylinder 6. Im far from a expert on this, but I think I would crank the engine over, paying close attention to the rockers on #6 cylinder and the push rods. Check for lift with your dial indicator, and possible bent pushrods.

My though is if the exhaust valve isn't opening,( or isn't opening far enough and the intake is, there isn't any place for the air to go except into the crankcase when the piston comes up on the exhaust stroke.

Like Jon, this also may be a WAG, I'm not sure.

Bill

1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 09:20 AM   #47
Big-Jon
1977 CJ5 

@lucdog -- I don't have a cat on my jeep. I have them stupid 2pc headmen headers and 2 cherry bombs. This set up will get replaced as soon as I get ahold of a stock exhaust manifold. My # 3 cylinder had a lifter that wasn't getting oil. So when I took my head off I checked the push rod tub. It wasn't bent, but it was very dirty and gummed up. I also found some holes on the bottom of my head that where either blocked totally or gummed up pretty bad. I wish I would have taken pictures before I started cleaning it up. I will try and get some pics of everything tonight.
33 X 12.50-15 Falken Wildpeaks
Big-Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #48
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon In Tucson View Post
Total WAG:
I worked on a '85 CJ-7 not too long ago that would idle fine as could be but under any acceleration blow oil out the dipstick. Also had a noticeable loss of power in acceleration. It turned out to be a plugged catalytic converter. Any chance of some sort of exhaust blockage? God bless.
Jon In Tucson
Exhaust blockage!? Hmmm... I didn't check that. The entire system is "new", less than a year old. It hasn't even started rusting yet. There is no CC, only the muffler, which is a big, round one. I'm gonna say no problems there. There is no loss of acceleration. Engine runs very good. Thanks, Jon.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 03:47 PM   #49
Big-Jon
1977 CJ5 

Here are some pics of my engine and push rods. The guy that I took my head to said he would clean it and redo my valve seats and guides for 80 bucks.
dsc_0125.jpg   dsc_0126.jpg   dsc_0127.jpg   dsc_0128.jpg   dsc_0129.jpg  

dsc_0130.jpg   dsc_0131.jpg   dsc_0134.jpg   dsc_0135.jpg   dsc_0136.jpg  

33 X 12.50-15 Falken Wildpeaks
Big-Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #50
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Big-Jon... I think $80 is a great price for the work you described. I hope the work you are doing is all that is needed to get your engine straight. Keep us posted.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.