PCV/Vacuum/DS Oil Leak/ HELP! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > PCV/Vacuum/DS Oil Leak/ HELP!

Road Race Motorsports Fuel Calibrator for the 2007-2011 JKIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #31
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
You held the throttle wide open with all plugs out for the dry test? Yes, WOT for each and every test.

The wet test was wide open with only the plug out you were testing? Wet test was done WOT with all the plugs out. The exception is I installed the plug into that cylinder AFTER the test to keep oil from blowing out of the hole. So, by the time I tested cylinder #6 there were 5 plugs installed.

No matter how you did it the numbers a re close enough to me I can't see a injured cylinder. But you must have blow by because you can't build vacuum in the engine by blocking the breather and the dipstick tube.

If you shine a flashlight into the oil drain plug hole is there and broken piston skirt material? Haven't checked that specifically, but I can say that when I installed the new oil pan gasket, a few months ago, it was clean with zero metal apparent. Do I need to drain the oil and check the hole, or pull the oil pan?

See comments in the quote...

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2013, 09:01 AM   #32
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Is there no oil baffle/separator in that valve cover? If not, that blows my theory out of the water.

Shawn
Unread 04-28-2013, 02:01 PM   #33
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatson454
Is there no oil baffle/separator in that valve cover? If not, that blows my theory out of the water.

Shawn
It pushes oil out the dipstick tube or front crank seal like there's a whole lot more windage then I'd expect and enough blow by to render the PCV useless. That's why I asked how much oil he was putting in.

He could always vent the two valve cover ports to each frame rail. It will keep it from rusting.
86cj74.2L is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2013, 02:25 PM   #34
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
He could always vent the two valve cover ports to each frame rail. It will keep it from rusting.

I was wondering if there was some baffle set up under the breather that's gotten sludged up over time that was preventing the PCV from pulling air in.

Doesn't sound like it. I know, that was a stretch. Maybe that hole with the lower pressure is the culprit.

Shawn
Unread 04-28-2013, 04:13 PM   #35
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

So nothing jumps out at you guys?? I was kind of hoping you were going say, "wah, wah... wah, wah wah wah...", and I would be back on the road! Blown head gasket?? Pull the head? Drop the oil pan? I have three drivers here, and I am down to one vehicle!!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 04-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #36
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I'm clueless. Your using the big vacuum port for the PCV hose, and not some dinky little 1/8 nipple?
86cj74.2L is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2013, 07:25 PM   #37
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

3/8 brass nipple...

Unread 04-28-2013, 07:33 PM   #38
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

So it sounds like everything is hooked up and functioning correctly but blowing out of the dipstick. Compression looks good except for the one cylinder. If you were to pull the plug wire off of that cylinder and it quits blowing oil out of the dipstick, I bet we would know what's up and why.

Shot in the dark here.

Shawn
Unread 04-29-2013, 04:39 PM   #39
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatson454 View Post
So it sounds like everything is hooked up and functioning correctly but blowing out of the dipstick. Compression looks good except for the one cylinder. If you were to pull the plug wire off of that cylinder and it quits blowing oil out of the dipstick, I bet we would know what's up and why.

Shot in the dark here.

Shawn
Hmmmm... that sounds like a good idea! I will do it. BUT, I have the valve cover off. How much mess is that going to make?? I have to hold it around 1800 rpms.

BTW- I bought a '97 4.0 to replace the 4.2. Piciking it up this weekend. But I'd still like to know what is going on here.

Unread 04-29-2013, 04:58 PM   #40
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Either place rags over the tops of the rockers, or just set the cover in place.
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 07:04 PM   #41
Big-Jon
1977 CJ5 

I am glad that I found this. I have the same problem. I took my engine out and replaced all seals. (Oil pan, front and rear main seals, timing chain and gasket and valve cover gasket) Still have the problem. I have the head off of it right now due to broken VC bolt. The engine is covered with at least an inch thick oil sludge. I have no cylinder slap or scarring in the walls, I am at a loss. I don't have time to rebuild the engine do to needing it running by Sunday. I am hoping by cleaning the head and doing the motor flush trick that it will at least get me to winter when I can take it out and have it rebuild. I will try and take pics of the engine sludge tomorrow.
33 X 12.50-15 Falken Wildpeaks
Big-Jon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 07:21 PM   #42
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr

Hmmmm... that sounds like a good idea! I will do it. BUT, I have the valve cover off. How much mess is that going to make?? I have to hold it around 1800 rpms.

BTW- I bought a '97 4.0 to replace the 4.2. Piciking it up this weekend. But I'd still like to know what is going on here.
You'd need everything in place as if ready to drive for it to tell you anything. Score on the 4

Shawn
Unread 04-30-2013, 03:33 PM   #43
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Jon View Post
I am glad that I found this. I have the same problem. I took my engine out and replaced all seals. (Oil pan, front and rear main seals, timing chain and gasket and valve cover gasket) Still have the problem. I have the head off of it right now due to broken VC bolt. The engine is covered with at least an inch thick oil sludge. I have no cylinder slap or scarring in the walls, I am at a loss. I don't have time to rebuild the engine do to needing it running by Sunday. I am hoping by cleaning the head and doing the motor flush trick that it will at least get me to winter when I can take it out and have it rebuild. I will try and take pics of the engine sludge tomorrow.
Hey Big-Jon... sorry to hear about your problem. I have not had success figuring mine out. I am wondering if I have a bad head gasket at my low cylinder. I tried the motor flush thing. Didn't do anything for me. The label said 5 minutes. I was scared to go longer, but I would be tempted. There is no sludge in my engine. It is remarkably clean! But it was that way beforehand. I might know someone who has a 258 ready-to-go, but you would have a bit of a drive! Please keep us posted on what works for you.

Unread 04-30-2013, 06:06 PM   #44
Big-Jon
1977 CJ5 

I took my head to a speed shop today to get the bolt drilled out. I should be able pick it tomorrow. I cleaned the head real good last night. I sprayed the inside of the engine with a mix of diesel and kerosene. I am going to let it set for the night and clean it out in the morning. Like I said I wish I had time to just go ahead and rebuild it. But I just retired from the Air Force and now I have to get a real job. The plan is to clean it real well and put it back together by Sunday.
33 X 12.50-15 Falken Wildpeaks
Big-Jon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2013, 07:15 PM   #45
Jon In Tucson
Jesus Is Lord!

1983 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
So nothing jumps out at you guys?? I was kind of hoping you were going say, "wah, wah... wah, wah wah wah...", and I would be back on the road! Blown head gasket?? Pull the head? Drop the oil pan? I have three drivers here, and I am down to one vehicle!!
Total WAG:
I worked on a '85 CJ-7 not too long ago that would idle fine as could be but under any acceleration blow oil out the dipstick. Also had a noticeable loss of power in acceleration. It turned out to be a plugged catalytic converter. Any chance of some sort of exhaust blockage? God bless.
Jon In Tucson

"The secret to a Jeep, especially a CJ, is you can't
panic." - Mike

"I may not be a smart man, Jenny, but I do know grounds."
Jon In Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.