PCV line connections - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > PCV line connections

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineCHASSIS SAVERô Labor Day 2 for 1 Sale!!!JKS Flex Connect in Actions!

Unread 08-27-2015, 05:08 PM   #1
blamc70
1981 CJ7 

PCV line connections

I'm working on my 1980 CJ7 (with a 1981 258 engine) that I recently purchased. I've replaced the valve cover with an aluminum one, and put on a new "T" shaped PCV, in place of the old "L" shaped one that was on there previously. I'm finding that the PO did a lot of things that were maybe not exactly correct... so I'm trying to figure out what things I need to correct as I go along. This is my first CJ, so it's all new to me!

My question is regarding the hose that goes to the back side of the PCV... the "smaller" side. I know that this should go to the third port (from the firewall) on the charcoal canister. However, my canister is presently "plumbed" differently than the diagrams I've seen. Currently, starting on the side nearest the firewall, the first port on the canister is going to a tee at the front of the carb, with lines off of each end of the tee going to ports on the front of the carb. The second goes to the fuel tank vent. The third goes to the fuel filter return. The final port on the canister is going to a tee, with one end going to a port on the fuel pump, and the other going to the bottom part of the carb.

Given that, where should I connect the line from the back side (smaller side) of the PCV? Should I add a tee on one of the existing lines off of the canister? Or should I move one of the canister lines somewhere else, and connect the PCV directly to the canister?

Hopefully I've explained what I'm seeing clearly enough! Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

blamc70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2015, 05:16 PM   #2
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

It sounds like a PO fubar'd the canister plumbing.

The fuel filter return should go to the fuel tank, not the canister. There's a considerable amount of gas that goes thru that return line. It will saturate and ruin your canister, if it isn't ruined already. I'm not sure why anything related to the canister would be plumbed to the fuel pump.

I suggest you consult your factory service manual and connect things properly.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2015, 08:07 PM   #3
blamc70
1981 CJ7 

Thanks Matt. How can I tell if my canister is ok?
Unread 08-27-2015, 08:18 PM   #4
blamc70
1981 CJ7 

I'm sorry I realized I just said that wrong. The final line is not going to the fuel pump from the T, it's going to the lower half of the distributor. Sorry about that.
Unread 08-27-2015, 08:29 PM   #5
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Ouch. The top line on the canister valve goes to the valve cover side nipple on the carb with a T fitting to the distributor.
The line below that goes to the PCV valve T.
The other two lines sound right.
The gas filter has a return line that needs to sit at the top of a level filter and it goes back to the gas tank.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2015, 04:47 PM   #6
blamc70
1981 CJ7 

Ok, I think I'm starting to get the picture, based on feedback here, and the info I'm finding in the service manual.

My CJ7 currently has a fuel filter that does NOT have the 2nd outlet. What I believe to be the fuel return line (?) is, as previously indicated, connected to the charcoal canister on the 3rd port (from the firewall), which is where the smaller port from my PCV *should* be connected. Assuming that is correct, I believe what I need to do is replace the existing fuel filter with one that has 2 outlets, and connect the smaller, top outlet to the fuel return line, then connect the small port from my PCV to the charcoal canister on the 3rd port. Does that sound about right?

Please refer to the 2 pics here. One is of my existing fuel filter, and the other is the space between the charcoal canister and the engine. You can see the green line, which is connected (correctly I believe) to the 2nd port from the firewall on the canister. The line that I *think* is the fuel return line I have marked with blue tape. I've traced it back as best I can... it runs right beside the green line all the way down the drivers side to the back at the fuel tank. It's difficult to tell where exactly it is connected to to be honest.

What do you guys think? Have I got it right?

Thanks!
20150828_170705_resized.jpg   20150828_170806_resized.jpg  
Unread 08-29-2015, 05:13 AM   #7
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

That sounds better. The green line is the gas tank vent and the return runs beside it. When you hook up the return, watch it very carefully, lots are disconnected because they sprouted leaks. Mine just sprouted one and it emptied my gas tank on me. It must have got a syphon action going. I thought it would just stop leaking when I shut it down, was going to fix it later, but nope, drained her dry.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Unread 08-30-2015, 09:27 AM   #8
blamc70
1981 CJ7 

You called it! Once I connected everything correctly, I discovered a fuel leak. So for now, I've temporarily reconnected the way the PO had it, until I can get the tank pulled and see what the problem is. I suspect maybe the fuel line near the tank.

I suppose the only way I'm going to get to the top of the tank is to drop it... oh well, yet another thing to add to the list!
Unread 08-30-2015, 09:45 AM   #9
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blamc70 View Post
You called it! Once I connected everything correctly, I discovered a fuel leak. So for now, I've temporarily reconnected the way the PO had it, until I can get the tank pulled and see what the problem is. I suspect maybe the fuel line near the tank.

I suppose the only way I'm going to get to the top of the tank is to drop it... oh well, yet another thing to add to the list!
You can leave the PCV set up for the vent canister and just block the return line for now. The return line is supposed to com off the top edge of the filter so any vapours produced on a hot shutdown get blown back to the tank preventing vapour lock.
Unread 08-31-2015, 07:28 AM   #10
blamc70
1981 CJ7 

Thanks Mike... I did that yesterday at your suggestion and at least have it running again with no fuel leak. I'll check into dropping the tank in the next few weeks to see about fixing the leak! I do appreciate all of the suggestions and help!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.