PCV Help 1982 CJ7 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 29 Old 07-28-2011, 11:43 AM
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Are you refering to that small metal tube in the second picture? If so I think that is the carb heater. It helps keep the carb from iceing in the winter.

As for the back hole. Don't plug it, use either the aftermarket breather or one in air filter. Which ever is easier for you.

But if you want a stock look, then go with the elbow, tube and filter in the air filter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 Old 07-28-2011, 02:08 PM
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I am thinking this is the manifold vacuum source for the spark CTO. It is off the intake.

The PCV line has to go to a manifold vacuum source at the rear base of the carb on all that I have seen.

Pay attention to the photo of the canister and ID what line you are talking about. The second line goes to the PCV, the first top line comes from a T off the distributor vacuum line and the other two vent the gas tank and the carb float bowls.

Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00, 'New' frame,wires and plumbing in '09. Carter BBD Carbed 4.0 HO in '10.
89 YJ Renegade. BBD Carbed 4.0 HO. Locked front and rear with 33x9.5 BFG AT's
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
post #18 of 29 Old 07-28-2011, 02:31 PM
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Listen to Mike, he may be right. I can only see the pictures on my phone and they were small. Work blocks all the Photo share sites...

post #19 of 29 Old 07-28-2011, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
sublimesurfer

Ok so the first tube appears to go to a T piece which plugs into the carb near the fuel filter, the 2nd tube goes to that small metal tube in picture 2 which I assumed to be my manifold vacuum. 3rd is I believe going under the dash to the fuel tank and 4 I am confident has nothing to do with the pcv system. I have a T-pcv valve or elbow valve to plug into the valve. From my understanding, one tube out of the T would go to the vacuum on the carb and the other to the charcoal canister??? But then I am left wondering what the 2nd tube is attached to current (metal tube in picture 2). This is frustrating me
post #20 of 29 Old 07-28-2011, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
sublimesurfer

So popped in a breather/pcv valve in the front of my valve cover. The 2nd hole in my cover I ran a tube to a T which split to the vacuum on the carb, manifold and charcoal canister. I felt everything looked great, went to start her up and bam nothing. The carburetor is pouring fluid our when I try to start it. WTF
post #21 of 29 Old 07-29-2011, 06:03 AM
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Can you post some after pics of what you did? Would like to see were you attached the hoses to. Were is the carb pouring fluid?
post #22 of 29 Old 07-29-2011, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
sublimesurfer

Waterdowg, I will try my best, I am at work and it stops me from uploading my pictures. I have to assume that whatever I did to my PCV system caused my carburetor overflow since I did nothing more than check the airfilter on the carb during this whole process. Below is what I did to my PCV system, and below that is what I think I may have done wrong. (No fault of mine, I listened to a guy at autozone).

PCV setup currently. Breather cap on back of valve cover, front hole has PCV/Breather combo with port. Port carries tube to T that splits to intake manifold, (metal tube in picture 2 of previous post, still assuming this is the intake manifold), continuing on from that I use another T which splits to vacuum port on back of carb, and then down to my charcoal canister. --- Could my set up be causing my float to malfunction, or could it cause fluid to be pulled into carb?

PCV setup I was going to use before autozone. Either stock T-shaped PCV with one port to the charcoal evap canister, other port to intake manifold. Back of valve cover with an elbow piece inserted and a single tube to the vacuum port on carb.

Lastly, my carb seems to be overflowing and leaking heavily around the base of the rubber filter gasket. When I examine the carb with the filter off and depress the gas pedal, I get 2 squirts of gas into the carb for about 2-3 pumps of the pedal than nothing.

I am obviously popping my mechanic cherry on this jeep, and I am not ready to get killed with a huge bill, and get pulled into a situation where a mechanic tells me I need s#@t I don't need.
post #23 of 29 Old 07-29-2011, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
sublimesurfer

In doing more research I have learned that if you use a PCV not specific to your vehicle, you can create too much flow, and can pull too much fluid causing overflow?? Can anyone confirm this to be true?
post #24 of 29 Old 07-29-2011, 11:01 AM
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

[QUOTE=sublimesurfer;11935235]PCV setup currently. Breather cap on back of valve cover, front hole has PCV/Breather combo with port. Port carries tube to T that splits to intake manifold, (metal tube in picture 2 of previous post, still assuming this is the intake manifold), continuing on from that I use another T which splits to vacuum port on back of carb, and then down to my charcoal canister. --- Could my set up be causing my float to malfunction, or could it cause fluid to be pulled into carb?QUOTE]

Was the metal tube that you think is the intake manifold hooked up before? If not disconnect it. so you will have:

PCV ---T--Canister attach t to carb not metal tube. Thats how mine set up.
post #25 of 29 Old 07-29-2011, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
sublimesurfer

The metal piece that I assume is the intake was hooked to the charcoal canister. I just know that stock, the 82 should have the PCV to the manifold and canister, and then the elbow to the vacuum port. It will be easy to convert it to be set up like that, but I am not sure this is my carb problem now..
post #26 of 29 Old 07-29-2011, 01:09 PM
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

You need to start all over now please. You even have me confused.

Here is how the plumbing must go for the canister to work. This will not address the spark cto because yours sounds long gone.

There is a nipple on the valve cover side of the carb. This nipple goes to the distributor vacuum advance. there is a T fitting in this line that leads to the small top first line on the canister.

The second nipple off the PCV valve then goes directly to the second line below the cap on the canister.

The third line on the canister goes to the gas tank vent.

The forth line on the canister goes to the two big holes on the top passenger side front of the carb.

The main line from the PCV runs to the back of the carb base in the center. There should be a large nipple there for it.

If there isn't a large nipple for the PCV behind the carb base, than that metal tube going into the intake could be used, but all I have seen use the nipple dead center behind the carb base plate.

That metal tube is for something likely long gone and should be capped.

Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00, 'New' frame,wires and plumbing in '09. Carter BBD Carbed 4.0 HO in '10.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 29 Old 07-29-2011, 01:12 PM
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublimesurfer View Post
The metal piece that I assume is the intake was hooked to the charcoal canister. I just know that stock, the 82 should have the PCV to the manifold and canister, and then the elbow to the vacuum port. It will be easy to convert it to be set up like that, but I am not sure this is my carb problem now..
That sounds like a stuck float. A thump with a rubber mallet may fix it. A carb kit only runs about $15.00 and is easy to put in.

Mike
post #28 of 29 Old 07-29-2011, 07:24 PM
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Maybe this will help. This is a diagram for Vac lines after the Nutter By Pass. But the PCV lines is the same. It does not have the metal Manifold tube though.
Attached Thumbnails
PostNutter.JPG  
post #29 of 29 Old 07-29-2011, 07:26 PM
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Here is how mine is attached at the back of the carb. I do not have the T PCV valve just a 90*.
Attached Thumbnails
Carb.JPG   Front PCV.JPG   Rear PCV.JPG  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.