Paul's 1984 CJ-7 Build Thread - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Paul's 1984 CJ-7 Build Thread

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 10-07-2011, 08:00 AM   #121
GlennLever
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

This helped with the smell in the garage, but not with the cops. I got cighted by the cops and fire marshel

indiana506.jpg   indiana513.jpg   indiana514.jpg   indiana515.jpg  

My restoration thread here on the Jeep forum
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...build-1269301/

New FED, Drag Racing Forum (I am an Administrator) at
http://www.frontenginedragsters.org/forum/index.php
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2011, 08:05 AM   #122
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7
Transforming garage into poor mans paint booth. Wife is already not happy. She said, why does the whole house smell like paint?! That was only the internal frame paint. She is not gonna be pleased when I spray epoxy and top coat.
Your wife and mine ought to get together and have a gripefest, Paul...why does the house smell like oil, do all those parts really have to be in the garage, blah blah blah...

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
Black Wellington Vinyl Bench Seats
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed
3.54:1 Open Gears

Grammar Test
FLynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2011, 11:32 AM   #123
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwhore View Post
How many cans to do the one side?

And you're not alone, my wife doesn't understand that sometimes work needs to be done in a garage and that it isn't just another room in the house. She wasn't overly thrilled when the house began smelling like brake cleaner.......or saw dust......or hi temp paint......or......well you get the idea. Needless to say, when we build our next place MY space will definitely be detached from the house and hopefully not within "yelling distance".
...or walking distance for that matter!
Unread 10-07-2011, 08:16 PM   #124
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwhore View Post
How many cans to do the one side?
I bought 5 cans but only really needed 4. 2 per side. I will find something to do with the extra can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
This helped with the smell in the garage, but not with the cops. I got cighted by the cops and fire marshel
Now that is a nice paint booth! What was the citation for?

Looks like everything is a go for tomorrow. Weather will be perfect, frame temp is at 70* now. Will put a small space heater in the garage overnight. Anyone that has done this, let me know if there is a flaw in my schedule:
  • Tomorrow. Spray one wet coat of epoxy, thinking waiting about 1 hr before the second coat. Spray second coat.
  • Sunday. First top coat of Eastwood Extreme Chassis Black. Will do first coat light. Have to wait 24 hrs between coats
  • Monday. Second top coat
  • Tuesday. Third top coat and done.
Unread 10-07-2011, 08:47 PM   #125
GlennLever
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7 View Post
I bought 5 cans but only really needed 4. 2 per side. I will find something to do with the extra can.

Now that is a nice paint booth! What was the citation for?

Looks like everything is a go for tomorrow. Weather will be perfect, frame temp is at 70* now. Will put a small space heater in the garage overnight. Anyone that has done this, let me know if there is a flaw in my schedule:
  • Tomorrow. Spray one wet coat of epoxy, thinking waiting about 1 hr before the second coat. Spray second coat.
  • Sunday. First top coat of Eastwood Extreme Chassis Black. Will do first coat light. Have to wait 24 hrs between coats
  • Monday. Second top coat
  • Tuesday. Third top coat and done.
69-15. Emission of air contaminants prohibited.
No person shall cause or permit the emission of an air contaminant which causes or may cause detriment to the health, safety, welfare or comfort of any person or causes or may cause damage to property or business.
69-16. Concealment or masking of emissions prohibited.
A. No person shall cause or permit the installation or use of any device or use of any means which, without resulting in a reduction in the total amount of air contaminant emitted, conceals an emission of air contaminant which would otherwise violate any applicable law, rule or regulation.

B. No person shall cause or permit the installation or use of any device or use of any means designed to mask the emission of an air contaminant which causes or may cause detriment to the health, safety or welfare of any person.

My restoration thread here on the Jeep forum
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...build-1269301/

New FED, Drag Racing Forum (I am an Administrator) at
http://www.frontenginedragsters.org/forum/index.php
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2011, 08:58 PM   #126
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Good luck tomorrow Paul!! Pictures or you really sat on the sofa and watched my #1 ranked LSU tigers beat up on the Gators!
Unread 10-07-2011, 09:43 PM   #127
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
Good luck tomorrow Paul!! Pictures or you really sat on the sofa and watched my #1 ranked LSU tigers beat up on the Gators!
Ohhhhhh, my parents would not be happy with you MoC. They live in Gainesville, FL. Good thing I am a hockey guy!
Unread 10-07-2011, 09:51 PM   #128
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
LSU will smoke the Gators. Brantley cannot throw a forward pass. BUT Jefferson should be in jail right now....just sayin.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334
WNC-84CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2011, 11:02 PM   #129
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If you are still looking for a place to sandblast the frame... Performance Powdercoating in Frederick MD cost me about 200 to sandblast my CJ frame, two axles, a bumper, and the bellypan. I took them there with NO undercoat left on the parts, and completely stripped down, so it didn't take anywhere as long as it would have if I'd dropped parts off as I unbolted them from the tub. probably saved me 75% over what it could have been or more. They charge by the hour spent blasting; my stuff took under 3 hours total.

They can blast only, paint, or powdercoat afterwards. Just for giggles I asked what powdercoating the frame would have cost, they said about a grand or so after blasting.

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2011, 03:23 AM   #130
Eaglekeeper
1986 CJ7 

Paul, just got through your build. Nice work! I even had some flashbacks of the same issues I had to deal with, including wifey fussing about fumes Subscribed.

Jody

A ton more pics here.
[URL="http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/"]http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/[/URL]
Eaglekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2011, 01:02 PM   #131
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Thanks Jody! One coat SPI epoxy primer down, one to go. Gotta say I love this stuff. Having never used a HVLP to spray anything this stuff goes on great. I did not realize, but Barry at SPI is their president. And he will answer his cell 7 days a week. I had a quick question today and he was more than happy to spend some time on the phone with me. Now THAT is great customer service!

Made a rookie mistake on coat #2. Tightened up the spray pattern to try to coat the weld seams more and that was a mistake. Have som nice runs now. Oh well.... I will know they are there and annoy me but such is life.

Pics to come later....
Unread 10-08-2011, 07:02 PM   #132
1983 CJ7 

I told you Barry was top notch, so you didn't know you were talking to the President the first time

Don't sweat the runs, sand them down with some 320 wrapped around a small wood block, like a 1x1x3/4.
Unread 10-08-2011, 08:54 PM   #133
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Here are a few pics. I may not do anything with the runs. Undecided. They are on the inside frame rail and only I will know they are there. But I know I will obsess over it unless I fix it. Will decide in the AM.
imag0234.jpg   imag0235.jpg   imag0238.jpg  
Unread 10-08-2011, 09:08 PM   #134
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Looks good! Is that a powder coat oven I spy Paul?
Unread 10-08-2011, 09:34 PM   #135
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

That it is! I will be trying my hand at that very soon. Need to powercoat my crabtree hangers and bumper tie-ins I just got from Eddie.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.