Paul's 1984 CJ-7 Build Thread - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Paul's 1984 CJ-7 Build Thread

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Reply
Unread 10-01-2011, 07:59 PM   #106
FLynes
Web Wheeler
 
FLynes's Avatar
1976 CJ5 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Angelo, Texas
Posts: 2,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7 View Post
I think I may go out to the garage and monkey it up onto the stand. Will let you know if it collapses.

EDIT: Changed my mind. Too tired. I have a 8" steel I-beam that spans the width of my house, you can kinda see my chain hoist hanging from a 1/2" eye bolt I attached to the beam. It is offset in the garage and tomorrow AM I will rig another one in the center so I can just hoist the frame up and onto the stand. No reason to break my back when there is an easier way!!!
That's why I love my tractor, but I do wish I had a garage to put the frame in...the BMW gets that spot, though.

__________________
Fred
Retired Army Guy

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
Black Wellington Vinyl Bench Seats
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed
3.54:1 Open Gears

Grammar Test
FLynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2011, 08:32 PM   #107
GlennLever
Web Wheeler
 
GlennLever's Avatar
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Rochester, New York
Posts: 2,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7 View Post
I think I may go out to the garage and monkey it up onto the stand. Will let you know if it collapses.

EDIT: Changed my mind. Too tired. I have a 8" steel I-beam that spans the width of my house, you can kinda see my chain hoist hanging from a 1/2" eye bolt I attached to the beam. It is offset in the garage and tomorrow AM I will rig another one in the center so I can just hoist the frame up and onto the stand. No reason to break my back when there is an easier way!!!
Don't you have an engine host?
__________________
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars http://www.leverfamilysite.com/vehicles.htm

My restoration thread here on the Jeep forum
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...build-1269301/

New FED, Drag Racing Forum (I am an Administrator) at
http://www.frontenginedragsters.org/forum/index.php
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2011, 06:54 PM   #108
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!
 
VACJ7's Avatar
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 3,781
I don't have a hoist yet but will need to get one this Spring. No new updates. Out of town in San Diego (Solana Beach to be exact). I need to work on my Jeep here. Beautiful!!!
__________________
'84 CJ-7 | REBUILD IN PROGRESS
VACJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2011, 07:27 PM   #109
FLynes
Web Wheeler
 
FLynes's Avatar
1976 CJ5 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Angelo, Texas
Posts: 2,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7 View Post
I don't have a hoist yet but will need to get one this Spring. No new updates. Out of town in San Diego (Solana Beach to be exact). I need to work on my Jeep here. Beautiful!!!
If you get the chance, Paul, head up to the Palomar Observatory. An Army buddy and I stopped to visit his aunt in SD in '93 and his cousin lives up by the observatory...very cool, but watch out for the rattlers.
__________________
Fred
Retired Army Guy

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
Black Wellington Vinyl Bench Seats
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed
3.54:1 Open Gears

Grammar Test
FLynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2011, 09:23 PM   #110
GlennLever
Web Wheeler
 
GlennLever's Avatar
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Rochester, New York
Posts: 2,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7 View Post
I don't have a hoist yet but will need to get one this Spring. No new updates. Out of town in San Diego (Solana Beach to be exact). I need to work on my Jeep here. Beautiful!!!
If you ask around I'm sure you can find a duddy that will loan you his, use it to pick the frame up .
__________________
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars http://www.leverfamilysite.com/vehicles.htm

My restoration thread here on the Jeep forum
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...build-1269301/

New FED, Drag Racing Forum (I am an Administrator) at
http://www.frontenginedragsters.org/forum/index.php
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2011, 10:14 AM   #111
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!
 
VACJ7's Avatar
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 3,781
Back from San Diego and called in sick today. Beautiful out. Finishing prep work then get the frame up on my stand this afternoon. Hope to spray the Eastwood internal coating this evening and epoxy on Saturday since it will be in the mid 70s. Will post up some pics later today.

I talked to Barry over at SPI... great support! He said wiping any overspray with acetone will be fine as long as I follow up with W&G remover before I spray the epoxy.
__________________
'84 CJ-7 | REBUILD IN PROGRESS
VACJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2011, 12:24 PM   #112
GlennLever
Web Wheeler
 
GlennLever's Avatar
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Rochester, New York
Posts: 2,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7 View Post
Back from San Diego and called in sick today. Beautiful out. Finishing prep work then get the frame up on my stand this afternoon. Hope to spray the Eastwood internal coating this evening and epoxy on Saturday since it will be in the mid 70s. Will post up some pics later today.

I talked to Barry over at SPI... great support! He said wiping any overspray with acetone will be fine as long as I follow up with W&G remover before I spray the epoxy.
Wear gloves and a mask (note a dust mask) when dealing with acetone. You can get the 3M Automotive (6000 Series) mask at home depot.

Acetone is NOT good for you!
__________________
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars http://www.leverfamilysite.com/vehicles.htm

My restoration thread here on the Jeep forum
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...build-1269301/

New FED, Drag Racing Forum (I am an Administrator) at
http://www.frontenginedragsters.org/forum/index.php
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2011, 01:07 PM   #113
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!
 
VACJ7's Avatar
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 3,781
Well, it's up on the stand and it rotates. It won't stay on its side, but that was to be expected. The angle iron flexes a LOT more than I expected! It looks like it will work for the intended purpose. Stand is firm and does not wobble.
imag0228.jpg   imag0229.jpg   imag0230.jpg   imag0231.jpg  
__________________
'84 CJ-7 | REBUILD IN PROGRESS
VACJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2011, 01:11 PM   #114
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!
 
VACJ7's Avatar
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 3,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
Wear gloves and a mask (note a dust mask) when dealing with acetone. You can get the 3M Automotive (6000 Series) mask at home depot.

Acetone is NOT good for you!
Thanks Glenn, will do!
__________________
'84 CJ-7 | REBUILD IN PROGRESS
VACJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2011, 02:46 PM   #115
Jim1611
Web Wheeler
 
Jim1611's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,477
So now we get to see paint!! Stand will be a big help.
__________________
www.crabtreetool.com (Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2011, 04:49 PM   #116
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!
 
VACJ7's Avatar
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 3,781
I got one frame rail sprayed with Eastwood's internal frame coating and it goes on nicely BUT it runs out every little seam, etc!!!! I taped up the holes but it still runs out. I wiped it as best I could but the external frame definitely has green hue (color of the coating) in certain areas. Now I need to find out if there is gonna be a chemical reaction when I spray epoxy. Keeping fingers crossed.... Guess I will call Eastwood in the AM.

But I gotta say, I looked in every hole with a flashlight and small mirror and it definitely covers every square inch inside the frame!
__________________
'84 CJ-7 | REBUILD IN PROGRESS
VACJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2011, 09:44 PM   #117
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!
 
VACJ7's Avatar
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 3,781
Transforming garage into poor mans paint booth. Wife is already not happy. She said, why does the whole house smell like paint?! That was only the internal frame paint. She is not gonna be pleased when I spray epoxy and top coat.
imag0233.jpg  
__________________
'84 CJ-7 | REBUILD IN PROGRESS
VACJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2011, 04:49 AM   #118
243
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,233
Looking good!

Be sure to tape up the door to the kitchen because the AC will suck that smell in and disperse it evenly throughout the entire house, the only habitable space will be the "doghouse"

I sent you a PM about the rear crossmember.
__________________
You can't sit at the big boy table if you are gonna whine like a girl...M
243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2011, 06:15 AM   #119
GlennLever
Web Wheeler
 
GlennLever's Avatar
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Rochester, New York
Posts: 2,013
Nice jod, I like the vaccuum hose organizer.
__________________
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars http://www.leverfamilysite.com/vehicles.htm

My restoration thread here on the Jeep forum
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...build-1269301/

New FED, Drag Racing Forum (I am an Administrator) at
http://www.frontenginedragsters.org/forum/index.php
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2011, 07:20 AM   #120
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire
 
jeepwhore's Avatar
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kamloops, BC
Posts: 3,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7 View Post
I got one frame rail sprayed with Eastwood's internal frame coating and it goes on nicely BUT it runs out every little seam, etc!!!! I taped up the holes but it still runs out. I wiped it as best I could but the external frame definitely has green hue (color of the coating) in certain areas. Now I need to find out if there is gonna be a chemical reaction when I spray epoxy. Keeping fingers crossed.... Guess I will call Eastwood in the AM.

But I gotta say, I looked in every hole with a flashlight and small mirror and it definitely covers every square inch inside the frame!
How many cans to do the one side?

And you're not alone, my wife doesn't understand that sometimes work needs to be done in a garage and that it isn't just another room in the house. She wasn't overly thrilled when the house began smelling like brake cleaner.......or saw dust......or hi temp paint......or......well you get the idea. Needless to say, when we build our next place MY space will definitely be detached from the house and hopefully not within "yelling distance".
__________________
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.