Paul's 1984 CJ-7 Build Thread - Page 51 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Paul's 1984 CJ-7 Build Thread

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 08-22-2012, 09:57 PM   #751
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

T minus 32 hours and counting... Gonna have to find a good place to park so I can watch the lift off!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #752
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

I think the SPEED channel is covering this event so I'll watch it on the 40" in HD. What time is ignition?
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2012, 06:41 PM   #753
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
I think the SPEED channel is covering this event so I'll watch it on the 40" in HD. What time is ignition?
Dang! You're right. I should stay home and watch it on the big screen too. MUCH less traffic this way. Hey Rene... you wanna come over for the show? We could smoke a butt, have some buds over. The women could bring us beverages! Be a big time...

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 08-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #754
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Yeah, yeah.... laugh it up. Having never built an engine this is a big deal for me. Although don't hold your breath. I have to go to the office Saturday morning. May get to it late morning.
Unread 08-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #755
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Dang! You're right. I should stay home and watch it on the big screen too. MUCH less traffic this way. Hey Rene... you wanna come over for the show? We could smoke a butt, have some buds over. The women could bring us beverages! Be a big time...
Only butt smokin going on at your place Kerr is after I tell your wife how much you're tellin us she weighs.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2012, 07:19 PM   #756
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7 View Post
Yeah, yeah.... laugh it up. Having never built an engine this is a big deal for me. Although don't hold your breath. I have to go to the office Saturday morning. May get to it late morning.
THE COUNTDOWN HAS BEEN DELAYED! Film at 11...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Only butt smokin going on at your place Kerr is after I tell your wife how much you're tellin us she weighs.
ooooooooooooooooooooo... you are evil!

Unread 08-24-2012, 01:10 PM   #757
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post

Seriously though vacj7, your kinda scare'n me, think'n about down the road when I eventually have to start mine up. And I didn't even overhaul mine. I do have a new Weber to put on it and that adds to my worries.

I'll be down Skerr, but how 'bout we "smoke some ribs". Sounds a bit manlier!
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2012, 04:12 PM   #758
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post

I'll be down Skerr, but how 'bout we "smoke some ribs". Sounds a bit manlier!
That's BOSTON Butts, Dude. Maybe you recognize it as A Picnic Ham, or Picnic Roast?? In the south, we call 'em BUTTS! Although, for the life of me, I can't tell you why...

Unread 08-25-2012, 05:30 AM   #759
lucdog
1980 CJ5 

Dude, Google it. HahahA

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2012, 06:33 AM   #760
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

COUNTDOWN HOLDING AT T MINUS 60 MINUTES.

Hurry up Paul. We're all sitting comfortably in our living rooms, on our sofas, with our TV trays! Waiting... just waiting.

Unread 08-25-2012, 09:39 AM   #761
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Hi Paul...

I had a 401 COMPLETELY rebuilt, last year. A machine shop did all the machine work, including balancing the rotating assembly. My friend Dan, assembled it. Dan owned an automotive machine shop for 30 years, before retiring, and selling the business. He is as anal as anyone I've ever met.

One thing that he told me was NOT to fire the engine up, until I was at the point of being able to use the jeep on a "regular basis". In other words, to at least run it occasionally, after the first time starting it.

Apparently, if you run it, and then DON'T run it for a very long time, there is a REMOTE, and I stress, REMOTE chance that the engine could cease up. He said that it probably won't happen, but why chance it.

He has seen it happen before, even on small (4-stroke) engines that have sat for a while. He explained the rationale, but with my 2-finger typing skills, it's more than I can bear trying to explain, right now. Plus, I'll never convey the message as understandibly as he did.

So, my 401, which has break-in oil sitting it, has been bolted to a frame for over a year now, patiently waiting for the day when that Jeep will be ready to roll.

I wasn't going to even post this, because I didn't want to rain on your parade, but my conscience got the better of me. Believe me, after all that we Jeep restorers go through, I want nothing but the best results for us all.

So, whatever you decide to do, I wish you well.

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2012, 01:36 PM   #762
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Well, for better or worse I am successfully through the break-in! It was not without some issues. First video is startup. I was surprised when it fired right away. A lot of "stuff" burning off in the first 10 minutes. Garage stunk and I was getting high. I had hooked a chain to the throttle to then hook it to a nail and hold 2K rpm. At the end of the video you can see me messing with the chain. I could not get it set. Solved that by getting the screw gun and using a screw to secure the chain.

Problem 1 came at the 6 minute mark. I had left the radiator cap loose to fill the radiator as needed. I forgot and when the thermostat opened water started pouring out. Got that under control.

Problem 2 came at the 10 minute mark. My Contour fans did not kick on. When the temp got to 200 and they were not on I started to panic. Grabbed my box fan but it could not do the job so I shut it down. I let the engine cool while I looked at the fans. After some testing the conclusion was my controller is dead... which makes me mad. So I wired up a switch and relay to the fans and tested. All good.

Fired it back up and ran for 20 minutes controlling the fans with the switch. Video 2 is the second run. Warmed up I was holding about 50 PSI oil pressure. There are no leaks anywhere!!!! At the end I tried to let it idle for a second or two before I shut it down but it would not idle. The TBI was setup for my old engine so I need to do some adjusting on it I think. And check the timing.

I would say it was a success. No weird noises that I could hear. The clack, clack, clack you hear in the video are the injectors. I forgot how noisy they are especially with the air intake I have on it. Amplifies the sound of the injectors.

Unread 08-25-2012, 01:56 PM   #763
gpower77
1985 CJ7 

Way to go Paul! No leaks....somethings wrong....you sure you got oil and water in it!!???

Garry
gpower77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2012, 02:55 PM   #764
lucdog
1980 CJ5 

Really cool Paul, I glad everything went well. The 2 minor glitches were just that, I appeared the engine didn't shake or vibrate at all. I'll bet running the engine up to 2000 rpm , and leaving it there for a while was nerve racking.

You should have taken your BP before start up and after you turned the key off for the final time.

Well done my friend, Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2012, 03:17 PM   #765
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

That thing sounds great, Paul! Nice work!

I'll bet that's a load off your chest!

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.