Paul's 1984 CJ-7 Build Thread - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Paul's 1984 CJ-7 Build Thread

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 08-10-2011, 05:09 AM   #16
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7 View Post
Keith, None of the other skid mounting holes will match with this frame. I thought about drilling it but I would only be able to catch two holes and keep the skid in the same orientation for my TF999. The other trans mount positions would make my TF999 sit lower.

Red lines are about where I would have to drill the skid to use the existing frame holes. The other problem is they land right on the two "ribs" of the skid and there is not much lip there.

If I had to do it again, I would trash the factory skid and build my own. I spent days trying to get the one-size-fits-none skid bolted back in place along with the trans mount. If I have to remove it for any reason I will build one!

Quote:
I only have two busted nuts to replace. This being one of them. I was thinking about trying to strengthen all the other frame nuts by drilling 4 small holes around them just deep enough to touch the nut and then plug weld. Maybe 3/16 drill bit. Good idea? Bad idea? Is there a better method?
Paul, I repaired several like you have suggested but only drilled two 1/4" holes, it worked great.

Unread 08-10-2011, 07:39 AM   #17
boomvader

1984 CJ7 

Good luck, Paul!! Looking forward to watching your progress.

Boom's CJ-7 Project (Completed in 2011) http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/bo...oject-1085653/
boomvader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2011, 06:18 PM   #18
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

I have wanted to replace my small Craftsman compressor for a while before I get deep in my build. This evening I was crusing around in the Jeep and stopped in at a local hardware store. They have a 5HP, 80 gal Campbell Hausfeld (new) on clearance for 399.00 (DP5810-Q). From what I can tell it is only a single stage, but man.... the price is right! Anyone have first hand experience with this model? I may try to get the father-in-law down here tomorrow to help me get it.
VACJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2011, 07:15 AM   #19
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
I have wanted to replace my small Craftsman compressor for a while before I get deep in my build. This evening I was crusing around in the Jeep and stopped in at a local hardware store. They have a 5HP, 80 gal Campbell Hausfeld (new) on clearance for 399.00 (DP5810-Q). From what I can tell it is only a single stage, but man.... the price is right! Anyone have first hand experience with this model? I may try to get the father-in-law down here tomorrow to help me get it.
I have pretty much the same compressor, but 60 gallons. I paid about $450 (IIRC). It is 240V, not too noisy, and it runs everything I have in my shop, including, DA and inline sander. I bolted mine to the concrete using Redheads, but I did not use rubber isolators. Use some kind of isolators! I have had no problems with the unit. It has been very dependable. I went to Northerntool.com (or someplace!) and looked at the customer reviews before I bought. I am happy and I would rcommend this compressor to you. Be sure to follow the break-in instructions. Let us know...

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2011, 05:20 PM   #20
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Well, I picked up that 80 gal compressor. Price was too good to pass up. As soon as I get it wired up I will break it in and then start on plumbing the garage. Hopefully this week. Dang thing is HEAVY. Bout killed me and my buddy getting it off my trailer. Pallet jack would have come in handy.

I have everything I need to start repairing the nuts in the frame. Maybe next weekend I will have some progress to show. Since I will be welding nuts, I might as well order me up a set of Crabtree shackle hangers!
imag0132.jpg  
Unread 08-14-2011, 05:38 PM   #21
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Paul I ran my shop for 14 years with a compressor just a little smaller than that one. Even sandblasted with it at times. I think that will serve you well. I see a torch cart there too, I like the ones with the high wheels. Looking forward to seeing progress.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2011, 06:14 PM   #22
mjfitz99
1986 CJ7 

mjfitz99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2011, 06:58 PM   #23
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Hmmm, new air compressor and oven in the shop. I can smell a home powder coating system in the near future when I see that! Now all you need is a sandblasting cabinet to complete the picture. If you decide to go that route, your gonna love it as it is easier then painting with instant results in about an hour.

The 80 gal compressor is nicer then my 60 gal but I never had any trouble keeping up with the sandblaster for prepping parts for powder coating.

I have that same HF 1 ton hoist in my shop too. Very handy to have to say the least. Between lifting axles, frames, engine, transmission and body tub, it more then payed for its self in no time. Get yourself some various length V-belts as they make great lifting straps for just about anything up to 500lbs.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2011, 07:34 PM   #24
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

As a matter of fact, I picked up Eastwood's dual voltage system a few months ago on sale! Have not tried it yet but it will get a workout soon enough. For those that like Eastwood products, you can always get free shipping by using the coupon code WELCOME. Been using it on every order for at least a year. May be old news. Got the oven on CL for 25.00!

Would love a blast cabinet but I am out of room in the garage. To work on 1 thing I have to move about 8 others things. I need a bigger garage. I do however have a pressure pot blaster I got for Christmas last year. Works pretty good once you modify it. Take off the mixer and drill it out to accept a copper pipe about the length of the pot. Drill a bunch of holes in the copper pipe (could also use PVC) about 90* and stagger up the length. Re-install. It allows the sand to enter the pipe from all over and since doing this it has never clogged.
imag0134.jpg   imag0133.jpg  
Unread 08-14-2011, 07:38 PM   #25
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Good luck with your project, Paul! It's always good seeing how others overcome the elements of the unexpected!

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2011, 08:09 PM   #26
1983 CJ7 

That was a great deal on the 80gl CF, I am abusing the 60gl model and so far it is holding up although the motor squeals when it gets hot. Also, the 60gl CF uses a plastic hose and push-loc fittings to connect the tank to the switch, when I run it really hot it blows the hose. I just leave a single edge razor on the compressor and when it blows I trim the end and reinstall it.
Unread 08-14-2011, 08:34 PM   #27
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

You will have to change the break-in oil after about 30 minutes of runtime, IIRC. The drain tube on mine is short. You may want to modify it with a nipple to extend beyond the sides of the tank. On my 60 gal, CH recommends compressor oil or Mobil One synthetic 30 WT. A quart bottle is more than enough.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2011, 02:09 PM   #28
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Hangers are on their way Paul. Thanks!!

My build thread
Unread 08-16-2011, 02:21 PM   #29
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Sweet!!! I think your hangers will also be my first attempt at powder coating.
Unread 08-16-2011, 03:01 PM   #30
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Sweet!!! I think your hangers will also be my first attempt at powder coating.
They ought to work out pretty good for that Paul. You won't have hardly any clean up since the metal is machined and no rust or other coatings on them. They will have a residue from the collant I use in the machine though, but dish soap is strong enough to get rid of that.

Thanks again and I'll look forward to seeing the powder coat job.

My build thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.