Paul's 1984 CJ-7 Build Thread - Page 14 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Paul's 1984 CJ-7 Build Thread

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-18-2011, 11:02 PM   #196
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Rich, you are correct. I just looked at the Eastwood color guide and did not see the ** next to the color. The note says For best results, topcoat with a clear or translucent color. Oh well.... it looks fine for the light. That bottle will probably sit on a shelf.

Unread 11-19-2011, 03:01 AM   #197
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7 View Post
I've read a few threads on replacing the timing cover seal but did not find the answer. The FSM did not give me the answer either because they use a special tool to install the seal. So.... when driving in the seal with a bearing/race driver.... do you tap it in until it is flush with the front of the housing (red circle) or do you drive it until it touches the rear recessed area in the cover? I tried driving it until it touched the rear area and destroyed it (had the back supported with a block of wood). Now gotta get another one. Anyone????
Having worked in the industry and world of gearboxes, motors and just about anything made by mankind that has seals for shafts, 99% of all seal installations are flush with the housing. The other 1% are usually special from the manufacture of the unit. When installing seals, it is best to use a Pin Punch that will be large enough, say 3/8 inch, to drive the seal in place and use the large Pin Punch as a guide so you don't go beyond the housing surface. The Pin Punch becomes the "stop tool" when it makes contact with the housing surface. Using a Seal Driver is also another way to install seals, but the tool diameter should be larger then the OD of the seal so you can't drive it in beyond flush.

Quote:
Did not get to do much during the week. Final engine assembly is happening tomorrow. I did break out my powder coating gun and tried it on something small. Turned out pretty good and was easy to do. Look forward to coating more stuff now! I ended up stripping the timing cover AGAIN. The clear coat and baking turned it green compared to the rest of the block. Could have ignored it but it was bugging the heck out of me. This time I think I will just powder coat it cast aluminum color from Eastwood.

The color on the hood light is Silver Base. Looks more chrome to me. It is fine for the light but not sure I will use it on much more.
I used that Silver Base only on a couple of pieces like the inspection plate for the transmission. Once the silver was on and slightly cured, an application of Translucent Gold was applied over top, followed by Clear Coat. The piece came out looking like Cadmium Gold Plating and have used that mixture on a few other pieces as well. Try experimenting on a bunch of small flat sheet metal pieces 'before' deciding on what color you want the final powder coat to look like. As you know, powder coat is very difficult to remove once it has cured.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2011, 03:42 PM   #198
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Got everything in the block assembled and torqued to spec. Pistons ringed and installed. I held the timing cover up in its place without the gasket and discovered something that is bothering me. It teeter totters on the nub on the inside of the cover. The bolt is recessed and is torqued to spec. Maybe with the gasket the cover will sit flush???? Is that nub supposed to gently contact the cam bolt?

I may pull the #2 piston. See some very light scratches and want to make sure it is not from a busted ring. When I say light, can't even catch a finger nail on them.
imag0023.jpg   imag0021.jpg   imag0022.jpg  
Unread 11-19-2011, 06:36 PM   #199
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Popped the #2 piston back out and rings are fine. Cleaned it up, oil and dropped it back in.

Held the gasket up with the timing cover and it does sit flat with the gasket. I guess the dimple is just barely touching the cover with the gasket and that is by design.
Unread 11-19-2011, 06:51 PM   #200
1983 CJ7 

Looking good Paul, when it the head going back on?

Are you using a 258 or 4.0 head?
Unread 11-19-2011, 08:26 PM   #201
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

I will probably drop the head on this week. Headed to the inlaws for the day tomorrow so no Jeep work. Waiting for some powder to come in then will coat the timing cover, install it and the oil pan and then head. Should be buttoned up by Thanksgiving.

Oh... just a 258 head.
Unread 11-19-2011, 08:27 PM   #202
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Nice!

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2011, 09:10 AM   #203
sendlein63

Nice
sendlein63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2011, 08:30 PM   #204
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Well, between work travel and Thanksgiving and getting ready for Christmas progress has not been what I had hoped. Did get a little done today. I've removed more off the CJ but not enough progress to post pics. I see my "1 yr to complete" sliding to the right, but that's ok. Closed up everything on the engine but the head. Then I need stuff off the old engine so I will cover it up and push it aside for a while.
imag0099.jpg  
Unread 12-10-2011, 09:58 PM   #205
TJ-Joe
1984 CJ7 

Looks great! What did you use to do the white on the timing marks and AMC logo and letters on the timing chain cover? Was that a steady hand with a fine brush or a special technique?
TJ-Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2011, 10:17 PM   #206
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

I used Testers white enamel paint, a fine brush and a hands free magnifying glass thing. Kinda rested my painting hand on my other hand to steady it. Much like when I try to MIG weld.
Unread 12-11-2011, 07:08 AM   #207
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Looks great Paul! Love the stainless bolts as well.
Unread 12-11-2011, 11:33 AM   #208
TJ-Joe
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
I used Testers white enamel paint, a fine brush and a hands free magnifying glass thing. Kinda rested my painting hand on my other hand to steady it. Much like when I try to MIG weld.
Wow, sounds like a lot of work, but worth the effort - it looks great! Will the Testers paint hold up to the heat on an engine?
TJ-Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2011, 04:51 PM   #209
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ-Joe View Post
Wow, sounds like a lot of work, but worth the effort - it looks great! Will the Testers paint hold up to the heat on an engine?
He doesn't plan to run this engine! He's going to put a piece of glass on top of it and use it as a coffee table!!!!

Sweet Paul!!

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2011, 05:15 PM   #210
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Yeah, yeah.... one of these days I might run it and the frame in my avatar may turn into a CJ. The question is, will I fire mine before or after MoC?!
Now that Scott is done having fun at my expense ... I sprayed the cover with a high temp clear. If the white holds up great, if not... eh no biggie.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.