Rich, you are correct. I just looked at the Eastwood color guide and did not see the ** next to the color. The note says For best results, topcoat with a clear or translucent color. Oh well.... it looks fine for the light. That bottle will probably sit on a shelf.
I've read a few threads on replacing the timing cover seal but did not find the answer. The FSM did not give me the answer either because they use a special tool to install the seal. So.... when driving in the seal with a bearing/race driver.... do you tap it in until it is flush with the front of the housing (red circle) or do you drive it until it touches the rear recessed area in the cover? I tried driving it until it touched the rear area and destroyed it (had the back supported with a block of wood). Now gotta get another one. Anyone????
Having worked in the industry and world of gearboxes, motors and just about anything made by mankind that has seals for shafts, 99% of all seal installations are flush with the housing. The other 1% are usually special from the manufacture of the unit. When installing seals, it is best to use a Pin Punch that will be large enough, say 3/8 inch, to drive the seal in place and use the large Pin Punch as a guide so you don't go beyond the housing surface. The Pin Punch becomes the "stop tool" when it makes contact with the housing surface. Using a Seal Driver is also another way to install seals, but the tool diameter should be larger then the OD of the seal so you can't drive it in beyond flush.
Originally Posted by VACJ7
Did not get to do much during the week. Final engine assembly is happening tomorrow. I did break out my powder coating gun and tried it on something small. Turned out pretty good and was easy to do. Look forward to coating more stuff now! I ended up stripping the timing cover AGAIN. The clear coat and baking turned it green compared to the rest of the block. Could have ignored it but it was bugging the heck out of me. This time I think I will just powder coat it cast aluminum color from Eastwood.
The color on the hood light is Silver Base. Looks more chrome to me. It is fine for the light but not sure I will use it on much more.
I used that Silver Base only on a couple of pieces like the inspection plate for the transmission. Once the silver was on and slightly cured, an application of Translucent Gold was applied over top, followed by Clear Coat. The piece came out looking like Cadmium Gold Plating and have used that mixture on a few other pieces as well. Try experimenting on a bunch of small flat sheet metal pieces 'before' deciding on what color you want the final powder coat to look like. As you know, powder coat is very difficult to remove once it has cured.
Got everything in the block assembled and torqued to spec. Pistons ringed and installed. I held the timing cover up in its place without the gasket and discovered something that is bothering me. It teeter totters on the nub on the inside of the cover. The bolt is recessed and is torqued to spec. Maybe with the gasket the cover will sit flush???? Is that nub supposed to gently contact the cam bolt?
I may pull the #2 piston. See some very light scratches and want to make sure it is not from a busted ring. When I say light, can't even catch a finger nail on them.
I will probably drop the head on this week. Headed to the inlaws for the day tomorrow so no Jeep work. Waiting for some powder to come in then will coat the timing cover, install it and the oil pan and then head. Should be buttoned up by Thanksgiving.
Well, between work travel and Thanksgiving and getting ready for Christmas progress has not been what I had hoped. Did get a little done today. I've removed more off the CJ but not enough progress to post pics. I see my "1 yr to complete" sliding to the right, but that's ok. Closed up everything on the engine but the head. Then I need stuff off the old engine so I will cover it up and push it aside for a while.
Yeah, yeah.... one of these days I might run it and the frame in my avatar may turn into a CJ. The question is, will I fire mine before or after MoC?!
Now that Scott is done having fun at my expense ... I sprayed the cover with a high temp clear. If the white holds up great, if not... eh no biggie.