Paul's 1984 CJ-7 Build Thread - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Paul's 1984 CJ-7 Build Thread

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 10-16-2011, 03:38 PM   #151
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
Slow down Paul your making us slow pokes look bad! PM me your address again. I have something for you.
Ohhhh, is it your 360?

Wash, rinse, repeat. I think I washed it 4 times. Alternated between hot soapy water and hot diluted purple power. I forgot I picked up this engine cleaning wand at HF a few months ago but then remembered! For a couple bucks this thing is money! High pressure wash at your finger tips. The angled tip made it easy to clean hard to reach areas. I blew every thing dry with compressed air and is now drying some more in the sun.

Guy at the machine shop recommended wiping down the cylinders with marine fogging oil... which I did.

imag0261.jpg   imag0262.jpg   imag0264.jpg  
Unread 10-16-2011, 10:12 PM   #152
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Decided to send my torque wrenches out for calibration before I start assembly on the engine. Do most assemble the whole thing before painting? Kinda leaning toward taping the block up this week and get the AMC blue on it. Can do the same to the head separately. I may powder coat the oil pan.
Unread 10-16-2011, 11:27 PM   #153
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7 View Post
Ohhhh, is it your 360?

Wash, rinse, repeat. I think I washed it 4 times. Alternated between hot soapy water and hot diluted purple power. I forgot I picked up this engine cleaning wand at HF a few months ago but then remembered! For a couple bucks this thing is money! High pressure wash at your finger tips. The angled tip made it easy to clean hard to reach areas. I blew every thing dry with compressed air and is now drying some more in the sun.

Guy at the machine shop recommended wiping down the cylinders with marine fogging oil... which I did.
Going to have to get one of those wands! That's cool.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2011, 11:57 AM   #154
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

What is that, welded?, to the center freeze plug?

Interesting build so far. I'm waiting for the tear down portion. I'm about as far as you on my build (and will soon start a thread) but I started with a new frame, used the internal paint, and then POR'd the outside. Now I'm waiting for a stone mason to get done so I can finish up my last "other" project which requires the use of my tear down space in the garage. Then it's time (about 2 weeks yet). I'm rarinnn' ta go!
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2011, 12:25 PM   #155
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

It is some type of identifier from the machine shop. Looks like an epoxy type putty holding it on.
Unread 10-17-2011, 01:09 PM   #156
1983 CJ7 

I believe that is to identify when the engine is overheated.
Unread 10-17-2011, 11:35 PM   #157
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
I believe that is to identify when the engine is overheated.
You're correct, Dave.

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2011, 11:43 PM   #158
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

How does it work? Changes color or something?
Unread 10-17-2011, 11:47 PM   #159
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7 View Post
How does it work? Changes color or something?
The small medallion in the center of the freeze plug is made of a softer metal, like lead. It will melt if the engine overheats. Many engine rebuilders use these freeze plugs when they offer a warrantee. The warantee is void if you cook the engine, and this lets them know that you've overheated it.

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2011, 08:15 AM   #160
Eaglekeeper
1986 CJ7 

Frame came out great! Now the real fun begins

A ton more pics here.
[URL="http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/"]http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/[/URL]
Eaglekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2011, 09:33 PM   #161
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

I pulled out the oil pan that came with the engine I am rebuilding and not sure about this thing. It has no skid and no evidence that it ever had one. I placed it on the block and while most of the holes line up, all of them are not perfect. I guess I need to look for a new pan. I thought I read the OMIX and/or Crown pans had fitment issues. Anyone know?

If I can find an OEM pan that is not beat to crap I will go that route. I don't want to use the one on my running 258.... it had a hole in the side at some point that someone welded a patch over.
Unread 10-20-2011, 09:47 PM   #162
1983 CJ7 

Paul, I think you might have a better paint job if you paint the engine once it is assembled. I still don't know if I had my block and head fully-degreased. I suspect there was some oil in the cast iron pores and the paint will flake off over time. Maybe in time, I won't really care
Unread 10-29-2011, 12:30 PM   #163
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Kinda stalled for the moment. Had an issue fitting cam but turned out to be a small burr that was preventing it from sliding in. Machine shop took care of it with a bearing scraper. I sent my torque wrenchs out for calibration and glad I did because they both required adjustment. I should get them back on Tuesday. Spent the morning cleaning the crank, cam and pistons. Everything is ready to go.
Unread 10-30-2011, 04:39 PM   #164
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Well, yesterday it snowed and today was sunny and kinda warm. Got tired of looking at the bare block and garage ain't gonna get warmer as the days pass so...... first light coat sprayed.
imag0278.jpg   imag0279.jpg  
Unread 10-30-2011, 05:07 PM   #165
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Looking great so far Paul.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.