Paul's 1984 CJ-7 Build Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Paul's 1984 CJ-7 Build Thread

WJ Tube Doors Now Available!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 08-08-2011, 08:35 PM   #1
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Paul's 1984 CJ-7 Build Thread

As summer gets close to ending, its time to begin thinking about the rebuild of my '84 CJ-7. Actually, I have been thinking about it for quite some time and now it is time to get on it. Keith460, Fatman, Coiz and 243's builds have inspired me to give it a go. I probably look at these builds several times a month. My plans are simple... rebuild/refurbish/replace everything that is wrong with it. I'm not going for an OEM restoration but build something close to stock with modifications to suit me.

I have already done a lot over the past three years. I have a spare 258 at the machine shop now. I have a beautitful 79 or 80 frame and a YJ tub for my build. I have already rebuilt both axles (still need to re-gear the D30), TF999 and D300 as well as other major components.

I will begin on the frame this weekend. I need to weld a few nuts, move the rear body mount holes. Once I strip the old frame figure out position for the bolt-on shock mounts (I cut the older welded style off already). I also need to measure to drill new holes and weld nuts for the skid. The hole positions on this frame are much different than mine.

If I can find a reasonable price I will have it sand blasted and primed with epoxy primer. If not, I will do it myself. Although the thought of that mess in my driveway will put me in the dog house with the wife.

Well, there it is... the official start to my build thread. The wife does not want me to do it because she loves riding in the CJ. But I ain't getting any younger and now is the right time. I hate to put a timeline on it, but since I have already rebuilt and painted many of the major components I am hoping I can do it in a year. I know... wishful thinking....

imag0118.jpg  
VACJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 08:46 PM   #2
benullman
1981 CJ7 

Good luck! Your doing the exact thing I am!

I hope to get a rolling chassis done before I tear down the CJ.

Subscribed!

Ben
Unread 08-08-2011, 08:53 PM   #3
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Thanks Ben! I should probably add that this is the first CJ I have owned and ever attempted anything like this but I have been having a lot of fun working on it the past three years. Here is how it sits today. Don't let the pics fool you, it needs a lot of work. Current frame is bent and the tub is a poster child for Bondo.
imag0121.jpg   imag0122.jpg  
Unread 08-08-2011, 08:57 PM   #4
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

For those about to ROCK we salute you. Rock On Paul!
Unread 08-08-2011, 09:01 PM   #5
benullman
1981 CJ7 

that thing looks pretty sweet!

Shoot me an E-mail if you need any parts. I will bring them up and help wrench for a weekend if you need it!

bnu@comcast.net!

Ben
Unread 08-08-2011, 09:07 PM   #6
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post

For those about to ROCK we salute you. Rock On Paul!
beavis_and_butthead.jpg  
Unread 08-08-2011, 09:33 PM   #7
SKT
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7 View Post

Well, there it is...the official start to my build thread.

...I am hoping I can do it in a year.

I know...wishful thinking....
Quoted for the records, and in on page one for yet another build thread!

Looking forward to following this one!

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 09:47 PM   #8
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

I knew I should have left that part out.

Been out in the garage staring at the frame for the past half hour. Since none of the skid holes match what I have on my 84 frame and won't work with my TF999... would you leave the existing ones there or weld them closed? I am kinda leaning toward welding them closed so the frame does not look like swiss cheese. I roughly marked the location of the holes on my 84 frame.
imag0124.jpg  
Unread 08-09-2011, 04:30 AM   #9
1983 CJ7 

Way to go Paul, this should be a great build!

You are starting with a nice rig so that should simplify a lot of the smaller projects.

Unread 08-09-2011, 06:41 AM   #10
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Hey Paul-

This is great!! Congrats on the decision to rebuild (I think). Lots of fun and frustration. Already giving my .02... let someone else sandblast the frame. I would agreeably pay $200 for that work, not including finish.

The frame holes don't matter if you weld them or not. A matter pf pure personal preference. Do what makes you happy!

Looking forward to some great work!

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 07:24 AM   #11
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7 View Post
I knew I should have left that part out.

Been out in the garage staring at the frame for the past half hour. Since none of the skid holes match what I have on my 84 frame and won't work with my TF999... would you leave the existing ones there or weld them closed? I am kinda leaning toward welding them closed so the frame does not look like swiss cheese. I roughly marked the location of the holes on my 84 frame.
Can't you just re-drill the holes on the 84 skid plate? There are many hole configurations on the 84 skid plate to choose from and that might not even be necessary.

You are on a good start in prepping the frame before any other work as you always need a good foundation to start with. Good luck.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 07:29 AM   #12
82KansasCJ

1982 CJ7 

Wish my CJ looked as good as your's before the rebuild!! I will enjoy following this one!
Unread 08-09-2011, 07:29 PM   #13
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
Can't you just re-drill the holes on the 84 skid plate? There are many hole configurations on the 84 skid plate to choose from and that might not even be necessary.
Keith, None of the other skid mounting holes will match with this frame. I thought about drilling it but I would only be able to catch two holes and keep the skid in the same orientation for my TF999. The other trans mount positions would make my TF999 sit lower.

Red lines are about where I would have to drill the skid to use the existing frame holes. The other problem is they land right on the two "ribs" of the skid and there is not much lip there.
imag0127.jpg  
Unread 08-09-2011, 07:45 PM   #14
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

I only have two busted nuts to replace. This being one of them. I was thinking about trying to strengthen all the other frame nuts by drilling 4 small holes around them just deep enough to touch the nut and then plug weld. Maybe 3/16 drill bit. Good idea? Bad idea? Is there a better method?
imag0130.jpg  
Unread 08-09-2011, 07:59 PM   #15
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

You've got a good start already Paul. You could weld the extra holes up if you want or you could fill them with slicone after it's painted. If you leave them it's another place for moisture to have a place to puddle between the frame and skid plate. The nut in the picture looks to have anough room to spot weld but the hole drilling idea should work fine.

Have fun with the work.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.