Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Paul's 1984 CJ-7 Build Thread

149K views 1K replies 69 participants last post by  Jim1611 
#1 ·
As summer gets close to ending, its time to begin thinking about the rebuild of my '84 CJ-7. Actually, I have been thinking about it for quite some time and now it is time to get on it. Keith460, Fatman, Coiz and 243's builds have inspired me to give it a go. :thumbsup: I probably look at these builds several times a month. My plans are simple... rebuild/refurbish/replace everything that is wrong with it. I'm not going for an OEM restoration but build something close to stock with modifications to suit me.

I have already done a lot over the past three years. I have a spare 258 at the machine shop now. I have a beautitful 79 or 80 frame and a YJ tub for my build. I have already rebuilt both axles (still need to re-gear the D30), TF999 and D300 as well as other major components.

I will begin on the frame this weekend. I need to weld a few nuts, move the rear body mount holes. Once I strip the old frame figure out position for the bolt-on shock mounts (I cut the older welded style off already). I also need to measure to drill new holes and weld nuts for the skid. The hole positions on this frame are much different than mine.

If I can find a reasonable price I will have it sand blasted and primed with epoxy primer. If not, I will do it myself. Although the thought of that mess in my driveway will put me in the dog house with the wife.

Well, there it is... the official start to my build thread. The wife does not want me to do it because she loves riding in the CJ. But I ain't getting any younger and now is the right time. I hate to put a timeline on it, but since I have already rebuilt and painted many of the major components I am hoping I can do it in a year. I know... wishful thinking....

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks Ben! I should probably add that this is the first CJ I have owned and ever attempted anything like this but I have been having a lot of fun working on it the past three years. Here is how it sits today. Don't let the pics fool you, it needs a lot of work. Current frame is bent and the tub is a poster child for Bondo.

Attachments

#7 ·

Well, there it is...the official start to my build thread.

...I am hoping I can do it in a year.

I know...wishful thinking....
Quoted for the records, and in on page one for yet another build thread!

Looking forward to following this one!

:cheers2:

#8 ·
I knew I should have left that part out. :D

Been out in the garage staring at the frame for the past half hour. Since none of the skid holes match what I have on my 84 frame and won't work with my TF999... would you leave the existing ones there or weld them closed? I am kinda leaning toward welding them closed so the frame does not look like swiss cheese. I roughly marked the location of the holes on my 84 frame.

Attachments

#11 ·
I knew I should have left that part out. :D

Been out in the garage staring at the frame for the past half hour. Since none of the skid holes match what I have on my 84 frame and won't work with my TF999... would you leave the existing ones there or weld them closed? I am kinda leaning toward welding them closed so the frame does not look like swiss cheese. I roughly marked the location of the holes on my 84 frame.
Can't you just re-drill the holes on the 84 skid plate? There are many hole configurations on the 84 skid plate to choose from and that might not even be necessary.

You are on a good start in prepping the frame before any other work as you always need a good foundation to start with. Good luck.

#10 ·
Hey Paul-

This is great!! Congrats on the decision to rebuild (I think). :D Lots of fun and frustration. Already giving my .02... let someone else sandblast the frame. I would agreeably pay $200 for that work, not including finish.

The frame holes don't matter if you weld them or not. A matter pf pure personal preference. Do what makes you happy!

Looking forward to some great work! :cheers2:

#15 ·
You've got a good start already Paul. You could weld the extra holes up if you want or you could fill them with slicone after it's painted. If you leave them it's another place for moisture to have a place to puddle between the frame and skid plate. The nut in the picture looks to have anough room to spot weld but the hole drilling idea should work fine.

Have fun with the work.

#18 ·
I have wanted to replace my small Craftsman compressor for a while before I get deep in my build. This evening I was crusing around in the Jeep and stopped in at a local hardware store. They have a 5HP, 80 gal Campbell Hausfeld (new) on clearance for 399.00 (DP5810-Q). From what I can tell it is only a single stage, but man.... the price is right! Anyone have first hand experience with this model? I may try to get the father-in-law down here tomorrow to help me get it.

#19 ·
I have pretty much the same compressor, but 60 gallons. I paid about $450 (IIRC). It is 240V, not too noisy, and it runs everything I have in my shop, including, DA and inline sander. I bolted mine to the concrete using Redheads, but I did not use rubber isolators. Use some kind of isolators! I have had no problems with the unit. It has been very dependable. I went to Northerntool.com (or someplace!) and looked at the customer reviews before I bought. I am happy and I would rcommend this compressor to you. Be sure to follow the break-in instructions. Let us know...

#20 ·
Well, I picked up that 80 gal compressor. Price was too good to pass up. As soon as I get it wired up I will break it in and then start on plumbing the garage. Hopefully this week. Dang thing is HEAVY. Bout killed me and my buddy getting it off my trailer. Pallet jack would have come in handy.

I have everything I need to start repairing the nuts in the frame. Maybe next weekend I will have some progress to show. :D Since I will be welding nuts, I might as well order me up a set of Crabtree shackle hangers!

Attachments

#23 ·
Hmmm, new air compressor and oven in the shop. I can smell a home powder coating system in the near future when I see that! Now all you need is a sandblasting cabinet to complete the picture. If you decide to go that route, your gonna love it as it is easier then painting with instant results in about an hour.

The 80 gal compressor is nicer then my 60 gal but I never had any trouble keeping up with the sandblaster for prepping parts for powder coating.

I have that same HF 1 ton hoist in my shop too. Very handy to have to say the least. Between lifting axles, frames, engine, transmission and body tub, it more then payed for its self in no time. Get yourself some various length V-belts as they make great lifting straps for just about anything up to 500lbs.

#24 ·
As a matter of fact, I picked up Eastwood's dual voltage system a few months ago on sale! Have not tried it yet but it will get a workout soon enough. For those that like Eastwood products, you can always get free shipping by using the coupon code WELCOME. Been using it on every order for at least a year. May be old news. Got the oven on CL for 25.00!

Would love a blast cabinet but I am out of room in the garage. To work on 1 thing I have to move about 8 others things. :( I need a bigger garage. I do however have a pressure pot blaster I got for Christmas last year. Works pretty good once you modify it. Take off the mixer and drill it out to accept a copper pipe about the length of the pot. Drill a bunch of holes in the copper pipe (could also use PVC) about 90* and stagger up the length. Re-install. It allows the sand to enter the pipe from all over and since doing this it has never clogged.

Attachments

#25 ·
Good luck with your project, Paul! It's always good seeing how others overcome the elements of the unexpected!

Rich

#26 ·
That was a great deal on the 80gl CF, I am abusing the 60gl model and so far it is holding up although the motor squeals when it gets hot. Also, the 60gl CF uses a plastic hose and push-loc fittings to connect the tank to the switch, when I run it really hot it blows the hose. I just leave a single edge razor on the compressor and when it blows I trim the end and reinstall it.

#27 ·
You will have to change the break-in oil after about 30 minutes of runtime, IIRC. The drain tube on mine is short. You may want to modify it with a nipple to extend beyond the sides of the tank. On my 60 gal, CH recommends compressor oil or Mobil One synthetic 30 WT. A quart bottle is more than enough.

#30 ·
They ought to work out pretty good for that Paul. You won't have hardly any clean up since the metal is machined and no rust or other coatings on them. They will have a residue from the collant I use in the machine though, but dish soap is strong enough to get rid of that.

Thanks again and I'll look forward to seeing the powder coat job. :thumbsup:

#31 ·
Crabtree hangers arrived and are awesome. Thanks Jim! Got the compressor bolted to floor with isolator pads and ran the break-in. Was planning on piping the garage tomorrow but going out on a buddy's boat instead. Sunday it is supposed to rain so will get it done then.

Compressor got me side tracked but will get back to welding the frame soon.... hopefully....

#36 ·
Crabtree hangers arrived and are awesome. Thanks Jim!
Paul,

the most satisfying upgrade I have done thus far is installing Crabtree Shackle Hangers because they were made by a guy right here on the forum that we have all come to know and love!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.