Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Passenger seat riser

5K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  wm69 
#1 ·
Hi all, I am new to these forums but have a question about the 86 CJ7 I just bought. The Passenger seat sits higher than the drivers seat by about 1 1/2 ". It is driving my wife nuts :rolleyes: (she loves to go trail riding with me), so I am trying to find out if this is normal from the factory or if someone put mismatched seat risers in. Both seats are the same kind. When I measure from the front (towards front of jeep) outside (door side) top of each riser down to the floor I get 8'' on the drivers riser and 9 1/2" on the passenger riser. Can some of you tell me or measure yours to see if this is normal? I have a pic but I can't seem to figure out how to insert one..... :brickwall

Thx!!

#2 ·
Does the pass. seat have a front to back slider under it?

#3 ·
Both seats have a slider under them. I just went out and measured a buddy's 93 YJ here at work and both his risers are 8" tall so I think it is the wrong riser on the passenger side. I don't think they changed the risers between the CJ and YJ. Can anyone confirm this? If they didn't then I can just start looking for the right one wether it be used or new.

#4 ·
The CJs don't come from the factory with a slider under the pass. seat......someone has added it, I don't know if the CJ and YJ risers are the same but the mounting holes in the floor are the same....my CJ ones bolted right in my YJ tub...

#6 ·
Thanks for the replies!! It pretty much confirms what I thought, that it is the wrong riser. I am going to call around to the junk yards and see if I can pick up one from a YJ for cheap.

Thanks again!!

#7 ·
Just to give you an idea, I was told the risers can be very expensive. I bought one for $30. The salvage yard indicated they normaly go for around $100.

Is there any modification that can be done to lower a stock CJ riser? I was thinking of messing around with a spare riser I have sitting around. Drill out the rivets, shorten to height, drill new holes, attach with grade 8 locking hardware...just an idea.

#8 ·
That is not a bad idea. I will take a look at it when I get home and see what I can figure out. I was looking online and new ones are about $150 (way too much). I haven't checked the salvage yards here in Ohio yet. I will do that this afternoon, but if they are as expensive as you say, I think I will try to mod it. As long as I can keep the durability. I don't want my wife flyng out of the jeep strapped to her chair while rideing down the trail......lol :rofl:

#12 ·
twmattox said:
Mine is stock...driver side slider fixed passenger. Both are at the same height. I have an extra driver side slider and when added to the passenger side makes the passenger side 1.5" taller.
Thats good to know maybe mines been tinkered with,im the second owner and the prev owner said he didnt do much besides some exhaust mods.Ill have to investigate further.Thanks twmattox.......U.S.M.C 0331

#13 ·
Thank twmattox. I just didn't think the slider would make that much of a difference. While I was looking at it and the slider looks to be only adding 1/2" to 3/4" tops to the height. Does the seat sit "all the way back" without the slider? I guess I will try it when I get home. I have the seat already out of the jeep so shouldn't take but a few minutes.

#14 ·
CJ's came with a slider on the driver side, no slider & a taller pedestal to compensate on the passenger side. YJ's switched to a shorter pedestal and a slider on the passenger side. Those pedestals are like gold now. I bought one brand new from 4WD Hardware for like $65 around '93 and by the time I sold that Jeep in '94/'95 they had doubled (I saw that and swapped the original pedestal back in before I sold the Jeep). Once I get my hands on another slider, I'll be swapping it into my current rig.

#15 ·
Well, I pulled the slider off and the seat is still too high. I had my doubts anyway. The slider should not make a 1 1/2" difference. That would be one thick slider. Not only that the seat sits too far forward without the slider. I am going to search the salvage yards and see if I can find a YJ riser.

Thanks for all the replies. :(

#16 ·
In both my CJ's the drivers seat has always been a little lower than the passenger seat. They're that way on Dad's scrambler too and they've always been that way. He bought it new so I figure they're supposed to be that way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.