Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Passenger Mirror Position, I didn't know

7K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  WindKnot 
#1 ·
I could never see out of my passenger's side mirror since the view was blocked by the windshield frame and door. It was installed symmetrical with the driver's side mirror.

It wasn't until I saw another CJ with the passenger's mirror higher than the driver's side, and then I realized that you are supposed to look through the windshield no the door to use it. I re-positioned it, and now is functional.

Not sure if others don't know about this, because I've seen several ones the same way. I also remember an old friend that had a TJ and couldn't use it either because of the same reason.

#2 ·
:congrats:

Doesn't it feel good to figure something out on your own?

Good job!

#4 ·
I removed mine because I never could see out of it. Maybe 1 day i'll put it back on.

#10 ·
Rear view is not required. Think about it.

What good does it do on a pickup truck with a loaded bed, a cargo van with no rear windows or a box truck?

AFAIK the only requirement is one on the driver's side.

Same goes for a motorcycle.

#12 ·
IronMaiden said:
Rear view is not required. Think about it.

What good does it do on a pickup truck with a loaded bed, a cargo van with no rear windows or a box truck?

AFAIK the only requirement is one on the driver's side.

Same goes for a motorcycle.
Motorcycles and Box trucks are a different class of vehicles.

Pickup trucks are not always loaded, up past the rear window.
Cargo vans, no clue.
I always thought 2 mirrors were required. State to state may be different. My main thought on the rear view is. If they are not required, why do all cars have them, the OEM's look to save costs wherever they can.
No rear view, AFAIK, isn't even a option. And they wouldn't be hard to leave off.

Bill

#13 ·
Back in the 60's most cars only came with the driver's side mirror and a rear view mirror.

Not trying to beat a dead horse, but I am almost positive here in Pa. only one is required by law.

The weight class of the vehicle (or motorcycle) has nothing to do with the mirrors.

Edit:

Here you go.......

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/list-state-mirror-laws-565361/

And for Pennsylvania:

Pennsylvania:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacode.com
§ 175.68. Mirrors.

(a) Condition of mirrors. Mirrors shall be in safe operating condition as described in § 175.80 (relating to inspection procedure).

(b) Rearview mirrors. A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with at least one rearview mirror or similar device which provides the driver an unobstructed view of the highway to the rear of the vehicle for a distance of not less than 200 feet. A mirror may not be cracked, broken or discolored.

#14 ·
Mine just passed inspection with only 1 side view

#17 ·
with respect to learning something new, jeep-wise, here or on your own, 'when you can take the pebble from my hand, Grasshopper,' you will become as Sholins JeepHammer and Strenk and other wise old sages here in the Jeep Forum Monastery Temple (one of which I am obviously, blissfully not, proven genially iffin you come across one of my posts......)

Does feel good, though, don't it?

#21 ·
I think with the doors off, or half doors it's not a problem having it even with the driver's side. However, with the soft full doors, you can't even see the corner of the mirror.

I agree that it doesn't look like any other car where the mirrors are always even with each other, but it's a Jeep thing man!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.