Parts that are know to not fit or be sub par - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Parts that are know to not fit or be sub par

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 10-20-2013, 06:45 PM   #16
BlkCJ7Laredo

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrTjK View Post
the body mount kits are all going to include the grille mount setup in a few weeks (if not already). I remember Keith had a write up showing some of the metal tubes needed to be trimmed but I didn't think it was all? I will see if I can help and put a bug in their ear about getting it fixed. I deal with a few of them through my work that are more than willing to help & fix issues.

The q-trac t-case chains use to only be Morse made in USA chains, but those are no longer made/available so they went overseas, and are working with the manufacturer to improve the design. They were supposed to be fixed, but apparently the manufacturer is still sloppy or just an old unit floating around for sale.

All the tubes need to be trimmed except the two at the toeboard mount. This should be an easy fix for them to get into production at the manufacturing level.. Put 2 long tubes in the box, and the rest short. If I recall there's 12 total enough to do a Scrambler, so you have leftovers if doing a 5 or a 7.

I'm going to stand up for Crown and Omix here because a lot of people have the idea that the parts they offer are junk across the board. This is not the case at all. There are certain items to avoid as we have all pointed out such as the speedometers from both companies and the gauges. Stewart Warner made the original Speedos and if you were to manage to get them to make them again they'd probably be quite pricey. Faria Instruments in CT made the oil, volt, and tachometers, which if I were Crown, since it's only one state over, be going directly to them to make the replacements instead of whoever is making them now. I have found that certain items such as lights, wiper components (except for the blades) some of the rubber parts, are equivalent or better than the originals.

You need to pick and choose your parts wisely, and work with whoever you purchase them from if you have a problem. It's been said many times before that if there's no communication, the manufacturer can't fix the flaws if they don't know about them. If you buy from Q-tec or 4wd or Morris or whoever your favorite seller is, take them to task if you receive a poorly made or defective product. If the complaints are loud and clear across the board, and it's taken back to the manufacturer level hopefully they'll correct it.

Curious question if someone can answer it.. Why was the quadratrac chain exported to China? Borg-Warner/MorseTEC is still in business.. Is it that there isn't enough demand for them to do a production run, or did someone simply cheap out and not want to pay what they wanted to do a run of chains?

My Rebuild/Restoration Thread, In Progress
BlkCJ7Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #17
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Black aluminum mirror bushings. Required work with a die grinder to enlarge the hole the tube goes into.

image-3392177266.jpg

I wouldn't buy these again .

image-4274617468.jpg

Grade= D

Black powder coated SS tail gate hinges, coating chipped while using the supplied button head Allen machine screws.
Grade = C-
Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 09:00 PM   #18
CrankyD
1983 CJ7 

Just got in a Crown steering shaft pn# J5354934. Perfect fit and finish with the only exceptions being the clamps. I didn't see a clamp for the box end and the one for the column end wouldn't accept the bolt through. (A-)

I have been pretty happy with all my Crown and OMIX-ADA stuff. Recently got shifty knob inserts (A), front blinker assemblies (A), heater control cables (B). I really can't think of anything I got from them that I can't live with.
CrankyD is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 09:31 PM   #19
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I only buy Crown and Omix parts if I have no other choice.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 09:32 PM   #20
jetmech1
1986 CJ7 

Crown door strikers didn't come close to lining up with the holes in my tub! I sent them back and bought a used OEM set off ebay. They lined up perfectly.
jetmech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 03:47 PM   #21
John87
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
I only buy Crown and Omix parts if I have no other choice.

Matt
and thats only AFTER the attempted restoration of the original part has failed.
John87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 04:28 PM   #22
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Heater or Control Cable kit from Crown. Part #5463657K
Knobs come off the cables. Had to heat the steel of the cable to fuse the knobs back on after two came off.
Grade D

T4 or T5 Shift Boot from Crown. Part #J5752010
Poor quality rubber with seam that splits apart after less than a year. Not contoured at the base to fit contour of transmission floor cover plate. It is well known that these boots rip apart. Cure, buy an OEM version that are still available from dealer. I did.
Grade F

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 05:17 PM   #23
bentshackle
1983 CJ7 

Quadratec spindle nut socket D+
Spindle Nut 2-1/16"
Socket 2-3/16"
It fits, but not properly. rotates about 15 degrees before it finally locks up on the nut.
Unread 10-21-2013, 05:45 PM   #24
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Rugged ridge HD steering box bracket.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/56...FYgWMgodEgIAAQ
Used the studs and nuts supplied with the bracket. On the first trip out, all of the threads tore out of the nuts allowing the steering box to come loose.
I replaced the studs and nuts with grade 8 bolts, and haven't had a problem since.
Unread 10-26-2013, 03:57 PM   #25
chris989604
1980 CJ7 

CJ factory rocker panel trim bolts

From ebay http://www.ebay.com/usr/cj6worx
cj6worx

65$
A

some people use elevator bolts to hold the factory rocker on. These bolts are perfect reproduction. the front is not the same design but probably better.

Shipped fast and it is one of the few things i have not had to modify.

chris989604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2013, 04:04 PM   #26
chris989604
1980 CJ7 

Lokar transmission dipstick

Lokar #TD-3904FM
dipstick tube for a 904
90$
A
http://www.lokar.com/product-pgs/tra...tick-main.html

I was tired of messing with the factory tube leaking. The braided line from lokar is perfect. Time will tell if it handles the twisting of off-road driving. It is mounted to the firewall. They do have an option to mount it to the bell housing but I am trying the FW first.

Last edited by chris989604; 10-27-2013 at 04:06 PM..
Unread 10-26-2013, 04:10 PM   #27
chris989604
1980 CJ7 

Skyjacker suspensions transmission pan

skyjacker part OPA999
150$
A
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sja-opa999/overview/

First, the drain plug is in the front. no more fluid on the cross member. It is heavy gauge steel and i can't see bending the flange. I guess you could with enough torque but that is not the pans fault. I installed it with the pan gasket from the Dodge dealer. ( I CAN NOT RECOMMEND THIS ENOUGH). Do not waste your time with anything else. the dealer gasket was 20$??? can't remember, but even if it were 40 it would be a bargain.

Last edited by chris989604; 10-27-2013 at 04:07 PM..
Unread 10-26-2013, 05:08 PM   #28
JrTjK
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

Isn't the forum section called Reviews meant for this purpose? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f199/
JrTjK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #29
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrTjK View Post
Isn't the forum section called Reviews meant for this purpose? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f199/
I can get more useful information on CJ parts in 1 minute on this thread, than spending hours in the useless reviews section.
Unread 10-26-2013, 06:46 PM   #30
EgulAye

1980 CJ5 

I have a 20Gal poly tank on my '80 CJ5. I had to replace the sending unit and found Advance Auto part No. 17724.13, this ended up being a Rugged Ridge item

I rate this a D
The unit's resistance measurements are correct for the application, and the metal tube is the right length with the correct bend in it. (Hence not a score of F)
I had to modify the unit's mounting bracket so that it would slide into the tank properly. The supplied sock didn't fit the tube, it just slid off and I had to reuse the old one. When installed the fuel supply and fuel return tubes touch the hub nut, I had to bend them up to get the fuel lines connected. The screw stud for the electrical connection was finger loose, which I didn't discover until the tank was installed and I was connecting the wire. After about a week the unit stopped working, when I pulled the tank out I found that the float had filled with gas and was always at the bottom of the tank. I'm glad I saved everything from my old sending unit, that float was still good.

In the end I was able to get the sending unit to work, but it was a very frustrating experience, taking three or four times as long as it should have to get installed and working.
I left feedback for the product on their web site but never heard anything from them.

Do you give the Jeep wave at night when they can't see you?
EgulAye is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.