Parking Brake Hookup Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Parking Brake Hookup Help

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-08-2012, 07:04 PM   #1
Hybrid Jeep
1976 CJ5 

Parking Brake Hookup Help

Hey there guys- I have a 76 CJ5 that I've been rebuilding for a while now. I'm at the stage where I want to hook up the parking brake.

Now.. I can't remember how the stock system worked.. and my pictures are doing me no good .. To make matters even more complicated - I've done a disk brake conversion using 300ZX calipers.

Take a look at this pic:

See the spring thing on the right of the caliper? This actuates the built in parking brake for the 300zx calipers.

Do I hook the cable to this? Then route it to the cab? Does it hook up somewhere along the frame? I'm thinking eye bolts maybe? Do I have to fab up a bracket so that the cable pulls at a certain angle?

Hybrid Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
ShowroomShine
1998 TJ Wrangler 

There are 2 cables coming from right rear and left rear. They run to an equalizer in front of the rear cross member. The 2 cables connect to the equalizer and then one cable runs from that through the frame and into the cab.
ShowroomShine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
Hybrid Jeep
1976 CJ5 

Do you have a picture of this? What about eye bolts along the frame... Are there any?

Also.. how do you hook up to the 300zx parking brake? Does the cable simply loop on to it?

I know that others have done this conversion!
Unread 03-09-2012, 04:58 PM   #4
sherlocktk
1984 CJ7 

When I did mine I made a bracket for it.

I started to use the brackets that I see you used for you brake lines, but bent it up too much and had to start over. I also made brackets to hold the brake lines just as you did. It seems no one has exactly what these little strips are for. This is what I think it is really for as its the right size (or close) depending on who you got it from

Take a 4 inch x 1 inch piece of 3/16 steel or so.

Drill a 5/8 hole as close as possible to the end of it, leaving about 3/16 material.

On the other side drill a 1 size up from 3/8 hole See Picture 1

Bend the bracket similar to the picture. It is almost totaling 90 degrees with about 20 degrees on the 3/8ish hold and the rest on the big hole this allows the parking brake to pull straight down. See Picture 2

Mount the bracket with the large hole facing down, run your parking brake cable through this hole, it should "snap" in to the 5/8 hole into the plate without issue. Make sure you cut off about 1 inch of the Spring on the parking brake, pull the spring down and thread the nut between the 2 fingers of the e-brake bracket. (See Picture 3)

I had to take the passenger brake cable to use it for the driver side and got a new cable for the passenger side I had to shorten this new cable about 1.25 inches to make the brake engage super good. That was just a 3/16 all thread coupling nut hammered flat to be the "stop"

take about 1 inch off of the parking brake spring (I had to cut mine about 10 differnt places to get the spring steel off)

If you need more pics than this let me know.
photo-1.jpg   photo-2.jpg   untitled.jpg  
sherlocktk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
Hybrid Jeep
1976 CJ5 

Oh man! Thank you for that! I knew someone had done this conversion.. awesome! I didn't even see the threaded hole on the caliper.

Ok.. few points of clarification. I make the bracket, and mount it to that threaded hole right? Did you put it on the "spring side" or the other side? What do you mean by the cable will "snap" in to the 3/16? Do you mean the 3/16" bracket?

Also.. what do you mean by cut 1" off the spring? I can see how to remove it.. but what is the reason for shortening the spring? Seems like it would be difficult to re-bend the hooks. Are you shortening it to make it easier to actuate?

Thanks again! If you have a pic of your setup that would really help.
Unread 03-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #6
sherlocktk
1984 CJ7 

Here are pictures of how I did mine. Pic 1 is left side, Pic 2,3 is right side. Basically the same just reversed. The spring I shortened is the parking brake cable spring, Its 4 inches or so long, but when you put the bracket in, it will not allow the full movement if left alone. Basically my spring is 1/4 inch longer than the distance from the bracket to the clip where the cable hooks in. Basically you want to need to compress it a little to get it on there. but you want to allow enough spacing so the brake can engage all the way through the parking brake pedal travel. I really meant 5/8 not 3/16 I have edited the original post
photo-1.jpg   photo-2.jpg   photo-3.jpg  
Unread 03-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #7
Hybrid Jeep
1976 CJ5 

Sherlock - you are the man! Did you have to use any eye bolts along the frame or does the cabling just hang? Thanks again for all your excellent help.
Unread 03-09-2012, 10:05 PM   #8
sherlocktk
1984 CJ7 

I have the cables hung around the frame with just some 12ga copper wire twisted to hold up the cables so they don't get stuck on the driveshaft or exhaust. . Zip ties would work too. But i wanted better heat resistance but easy enough to take off in the field
Unread 01-26-2013, 01:44 PM   #9
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

I'm going thru this swap as we speak, this bracket fab for the e-brake cables will be a big help, thx.
CJ7ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 09:25 AM   #10
titanjeep

1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlocktk View Post
Here are pictures of how I did mine. Pic 1 is left side, Pic 2,3 is right side. Basically the same just reversed. The spring I shortened is the parking brake cable spring, Its 4 inches or so long, but when you put the bracket in, it will not allow the full movement if left alone. Basically my spring is 1/4 inch longer than the distance from the bracket to the clip where the cable hooks in. Basically you want to need to compress it a little to get it on there. but you want to allow enough spacing so the brake can engage all the way through the parking brake pedal travel. I really meant 5/8 not 3/16 I have edited the original post
Is the brake on in these pictures?

2003 KJ : 2002 to Present - Family Hauler
1981 CJ5: 2005 to Present - Build Thread
titanjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 01:07 PM   #11
sherlocktk
1984 CJ7 

Brake is not engaged in the pictures it articulates about 90 degrees rotated down to the floor when engaged
Unread 03-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #12
titanjeep

1981 CJ5 

Thanks. If that is the case, then my cable is too short. Were you using the stock CJ7 cables, or did you buy new cables?

Unread 03-11-2013, 07:52 AM   #13
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanjeep View Post
Thanks. If that is the case, then my cable is too short. Were you using the stock CJ7 cables, or did you buy new cables?
The stock cables should work, you just need to extend the front cable. There is some info on that here not much and mya be hard to find. I will post some more info when I have some time.
waterdowg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #14
sherlocktk
1984 CJ7 

I took off the driver side cable and threw it away. I took the passenger side cable and moved to driver side. I bought a new cable for the passenger side that was 5 inches longer or so
Unread 03-13-2013, 11:22 PM   #15
titanjeep

1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdowg

The stock cables should work, you just need to extend the front cable. There is some info on that here not much and mya be hard to find. I will post some more info when I have some time.
I look forward to the details... thanks for the assistance.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.