Parking brake drum nut size? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Parking brake drum nut size?

Steinjager TJ tube doorsAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 10-29-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
indikacr
1969 CJ5 

Parking brake drum nut size?

Hey guys, I was wanting to do some work on the parking brake of my 69 cj5. (It has the driveshaft drum brake). After removing the 4 bolts connecting the driveshaft to drum, I see there is still a large nut that needs to be removed to access brake shoes. I need to buy this socket, since I don't have one that large. What size socket should I look for?

Thanks!

indikacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 07:07 PM   #2
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

That is the yoke nut. I believe it is 1 1/4" for the big shaft V6 D18.
If for some reason that is too large, try a 1 1/8"
You will want to use an air gun if it is accessible. Otherwise, you will need to lock up the drivetrain and attempt to remove it with a breaker bar.
Before you remove the nut, check the vertical movement of the yoke. If there is slop, be sure to reset the end play by removing a shim or two in order to tighten up the output bearings before you reassemble the parking brake.
I would plan to replace the rear output seal while I was in there.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 11:37 AM   #3
indikacr
1969 CJ5 

Thanks!

You learn something new every day!
indikacr is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.