Parking Brake - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Parking Brake

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right hereJK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.

Unread 01-20-2008, 10:55 PM   #1
kstopp
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Parking Brake

My cj7 has the foot parking brake with pull cable relase, has anyone else converted this to a typical ebrake found in the wranglers coming out of the center console, racheting style. Would this be as simple as finding the assembly, mounting it and cutting the cable to fit?

kstopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2008, 11:02 PM   #2
OldSailor
1977 CJ7 

I've never heard of anyone trying it.
1977 CJ7, AMC360 V8 w/ headers, DUI HEI, Edelbrock intake, Holley 4150 carb, , TF999, D300, D30 front and AMC20 rear with 4.56 gears and lockers both ends, 4" susp lift, 2.5" body lift, 35" BFGs, ARG steering, 8000-lb winch, etc.
OldSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2008, 07:29 AM   #3
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

Kstopp,
I'm waiting for your write up!
I've been looking to do the same thing.
Unread 01-21-2008, 08:06 AM   #4
supraman1990
1980 CJ5 

Seems like you would just need to figure a way to route the cable to the center of the Jeep and a way to attach the lever. Levers are easy to come by, as they are assemblys.
On the back burner for college.
supraman1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2008, 09:29 AM   #5
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Yes, it can be done. You just get the hardware from a Cherokee or something similar and install it. The cable has two ends and a sheath so it can move around and even loop if needed while still working.

I have heard of sand runners that even use two brake handles, one for each wheel. They use that for power turns and as a poor mans locker. On an open diff, if you put the brakes to the spinning wheel, the other side moves.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2008, 11:49 AM   #6
CJ Chet
1986 CJ7 

Lokar makes some nice assemblies.

'86 CJ7, 265 CI, DUI, TF999, Borla, Weber, 4" BDS Lift.
'04 AEV RUBICON.
'00 TJ Sahara.
CJ Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2008, 12:12 PM   #7
81CJUSMC
1981 CJ7 

I have looking for information on this as well. I have an EBrake (Foot Pedal) that is non functional and figured it would be cool to put in a hand lever instead. Seems that there are a few others with the same thoughts...Doesn't seem like it would be hard as long you can route the cable without it hanging up on something or preventing the function of the brake.
Unread 01-21-2008, 12:23 PM   #8
pkt1213

That's a pretty bad *** idea with using it as kind of a poor mans locker. Kinda hard on the brakes though.

This would also be nice for us all guys with CJ5s
pkt1213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2008, 12:31 PM   #9
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkt1213
That's a pretty bad *** idea with using it as kind of a poor mans locker. Kinda hard on the brakes though.

This would also be nice for us all guys with CJ5s
I run on the trails all winter up here in Canada with my open diffs and use the brake pedal lots to 'lock up' the rear end. It is an old trick even mentioned in my CJ7's owners manual. They recommend the parking brake, I like the pedal better.

When I am sitting on ice with one front and one back wheel calmly spinning away, I can give the brake pedal a push or a solid pound if the push didn't do it while giving gas at the same time. This loads up the spinning wheel until the torque needed to go against the brake equals the torque needed to break the other wheel free so bingo, I can pull out with at least 3 tires spinning and sometimes even get both fronts. (it seems easier to load up a drum brake)

It takes practice, but works pretty good.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.