Painting New Shocks Prior to Installing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Painting New Shocks Prior to Installing

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!

Unread 01-15-2010, 07:49 PM   #1
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Painting New Shocks Prior to Installing

Hi, guys.

I'll be installing new Rancho 9000's soon, and it seems like new shocks start out looking good, but begin looking crappy, pretty soon thereafter.

I'm starting a frame off restoration, for what will be a street driven jeep, and I'd like the shocks' paint job to last. Plus the fact that they're white, and I'd like to change the color.

So, has anyone done this before, and if so, what prep work did you do, and how well did it hold up?

I'm not positive, but it seems like the factory paint job is not too good to begin with, so I don't know how well new paint would last, with just scuffing up the factory paint, and spraying over it. But... maybe it will...

I could bead blast them, but they have a regulator knob on them, and I don't know if the blast media would mess things up.

That's why I'm asking if anyone has done this. Thanks.

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2010, 08:16 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have sanded and painted a couple pairs of shocks. Just make sure to completely clean any oil or grease from them before sanding. For new shocks, priming shouldn't be necessary. Epoxy Appliance paint in a spray can holds up better than plain spray paint. Follow the instructions on the can, it is better to apply several light coats of paint rather than one or two thick coats. Allow a few days or more at + 60* for the paint to dry. Brand name spray paints apply better and hold up longer than the cheaper or generic paints.

Sandblasting would only be called for if the shocks were extremely rusted. When sandblasting you can mask anything you don't want damaged using duct tape.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2010, 06:31 AM   #3
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Thanks, Tim!

So, you feel that the factory paint job is a good enough base to sand and paint over?

I wasn't sure if I'd have to remove theirs' completely, then, prime and paint.

I'm not even convinced that they prime, at all...just paint!

Rich

Unread 01-16-2010, 07:55 AM   #4
rishar1
1973 CJ5 

They are probably powder coated from the factory which makes a great base coat.

When ever I paint over existing paint I sand them thouroughly (SP?) with 220 grit paper and then go over them with a scotch bright abrasive pad to really smooth it out while still keeping it rough enough for the paint to stick.

And DO NOT blast them the sand, beads, whatever you use can get in side and really screw things up.

And like Tim said a good epoxy paint is the way to go for durablity, I'm not so sure about the appliance epoxy cause they dont have a very wide rrange of colors. And always buy a good name brand paint, you get what you pay for with paint.

Trust me on the paint I own a hardware store and have had way to many people complain that the cheap paint they bought didn't perform like they wanted.

And good luck with the frame off job. I'm in the middle of one and I can tell you this. You will get mad enough to tear your hair out so take it easy and don't get to frustrated.
rishar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2010, 09:06 AM   #5
Tigger01
1984 CJ7 

I have used Rustolum Professional Spray Paint on a lot of my parts and if sprayed in even coats the Paint comes out looking smooth and great

Sanding is good for the prepping before paint with a 220 sand paper as stated above

Before Painting any of my Parts I will Hang them using Tie Wire and spray all my Parts down with Ether - Starter Fluid and let it dry before I paint this removes any Grease or oil from the Parts then give it alittle time for the Starter Fluid to evaporate Note: I paint all my parts Out Side

Good Luck

Chris-Tigger
Tigger01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2010, 12:17 PM   #6
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Thanks for the comments, guys!

So, rishar1, can you recommend a good quality paint, that comes in spray cans? I'm leaning towards a gumetal gray color.

I doubt that the shocks are powder coated, due to the fact that the innerds probably can't take the heat required to cure the powder. unless they PC the parts before assembly, but I saw an episode of "How it's Made", and they showed the making of shocks. They were assembled, then painted (if I remember correctly). I'm gettin' old...

If they could, I'd powdercoat them myself (I have the setup).

Thanks, again.

Rich

Unread 01-16-2010, 01:51 PM   #7
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I really doubt any standard non-rebuildable shock is powder coated. Sanding the shine off the original paint is enough prep, all you really want to do increase the thickness and hardness of the paint to keep out moisture and resist chipping.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2010, 02:12 PM   #8
-AC-
1977 CJ5 

Yeah, but as far as I know (not very far), there are some pretty thick stickers on Rancho (and pretty much everybody else's) shocks. So, obviously, you have to peel the sticker or sand it off or whatever...
Unread 01-16-2010, 02:45 PM   #9
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
I really doubt any standard non-rebuildable shock is powder coated. Sanding the shine off the original paint is enough prep, all you really want to do increase the thickness and hardness of the paint to keep out moisture and resist chipping.
That sounds good to me. That's what I'm gonna do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -AC- View Post
Yeah, but as far as I know (not very far), there are some pretty thick stickers on Rancho (and pretty much everybody else's) shocks. So, obviously, you have to peel the sticker or sand it off or whatever...
The Rancho RS 9000 stickers come "on the side", meaning you put them on yourself. I'm gonna leave them off, even after painting.

Rich

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.