Painting aluminum intake? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Painting aluminum intake?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 08-23-2014, 04:46 PM   #1
Tollster
1980 CJ5 

Painting aluminum intake?

I often thought about painting my Clifford aluminum intake, then sanding the raised lettering.
Curious is anyone here may be able to shed some light on what to use? The intake is a porous cast aluminum, likely subjected to heat and gas (Random dribble).
I have some aluminum outdoor furniture, and know the paint has chipped and flaked easily.. but think Rustoleum may have something is there tool box in this day and age to cover almost all applications.. Just not sure, and hate to go back for a rework..
A black wrinkle finish would be the cats...arse!
Thanks

Tollster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2014, 05:25 PM   #2
chucker2
1981 CJ7 

You could Powdercoat it in high temp. And it's very durable. But, once chipped no touch up.

I used a Harley Davidson high temp wrinkle paint on a Bmw valve cover once and it turned out great. It's in a rattle can, you have to put it in your gas grill with a temp gauge at about 200 for an hr. And voila it "done". You could put in your inside oven if your wife's likes all the off gassing. But, save the alimony and use the outdoor grill. Your local pro painting shop sells ultra thin masking tape to cover the letters up, I block sanded my raised letters with 400 to 1000 when done.

I'm pretty anal on this stuff.

Chucker2
Unread 08-23-2014, 07:07 PM   #3
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

I've had good luck using high temp engine paint on aluminum intakes and valve covers....

Dave in Muskegon using JeepForum
dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2014, 08:01 PM   #4
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

You can also use Vaseline on the lettering you don't want painted. Paint the manifold, let it dry and cure, then wipe off the Vaseline and you're good to go.

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
Black Wellington Vinyl Bench Seats
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed
3.54:1 Open Gears

Grammar Test
FLynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2014, 08:38 PM   #5
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

Ohhhh yeah! Did that...works great too.

Dave in Muskegon using JeepForum
dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2014, 08:44 PM   #6
Jonathanjr1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

You could get engine or header paint. You could paint the letters first, then mask them and paint the rest. Or mask the letters and paint the rest.
Jonathanjr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2014, 10:12 PM   #7
Unretarded

1963 CJ5 

I used rattle can crinkle paint on my hood hinges on a hotrod.......held up well, not sure how gas or heat resistive it is.

It is gunna cost more and take longer than you thought...plan ahead!
Unretarded is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2014, 07:18 AM   #8
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

I've painted many a thing that was made of aluminum. The key is to "pickle" the aluminum before painting. I think I used straight white vinegar back in the day before painting but mostly do powder coating now on aluminum.

Paint right over your raised letters and when the paint dries, use a wide flat bastard file to remove the paint and allow the letters to shine through. I did that on my powder coated valve cover on my Jeep this way and many other projects in the past using that method.

Here's a few pics of my son doing a high school project of restoring our old 1980 Yamaha dirt bike and using the file method on the raised letters. This was about 10 years ago.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.