Painting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Painting

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippMagnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High Clearan

Unread 09-20-2014, 05:08 PM   #1
ajc5633

Painting

Hi everyone, I'm looking to paint my cj7. The tub and fenders are fiberglass and the hood is metal. How should I do all the sanding? What grit palsy should I use? Should I and the metal and fiberglass the same way.

Not looking for a show quality paint job, just a nice daily driver quality job.

ajc5633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2014, 05:41 PM   #2
CrankyD
1983 CJ7 

I used 80grit to knock down the real heavy stuff on the metal followed by 180 and 220 before primer. If I remember correctly I just used 220 on the fiberglass, But I didn't do alot of body work. I sanded with 400 right before and during paint.

Here is a link to mine. Good Luck!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/st...ocess-1433372/
CrankyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2014, 05:52 PM   #3
Marshal
1985 CJ7 

If I remember right, when I worked briefly at a body shop everything hit with 400 grit before priming. Bare fiberglass, plastic, and metal were just scuffed lightly with 400 grit. Anytime paint had to be stripped from an area, it was done with 80 then feathered up to 400.
Marshal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2014, 07:37 PM   #4
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Normal for sanding before primer/paint is 220-400 grit paper. During paint depending on how good you want it you can go up to 3000+ grit wet sanding. Always follow what the manufacture recommends for the product(s) your applying.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2014, 07:43 PM   #5
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

If just sanding and painting I'd follow these guys suggestions. If you need to strip the hood I like the aircraft stripper at Advanced Auto. Then follow with sanding. I usually do this to the hood because its so big and flat(ish) most imperfections show up.

On another note.....I blasted my grill with black beauty or something like that from Menards. I had no intentions of this being seen as I have a grill cover on it. Was just painting to protect it. I primed with duplicolor self-etching high fill primer,then painted. This was every bit as good as the rest of the job. Now, before everyone goes a little nuts,I'm not saying this is the right way,just that I was shocked at the result. No marks from blasting, and it was heavily marked before primer. Sorry,I took no pictures of this but it worked great.......

My daughter and I had a blast painting my CJ. Hope you do as well. Good luck

Dave in Muskegon using Jeep Forum App
dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 03:33 PM   #6
ajc5633

Well started the sanding process today. Body, fenders, and hood are ready for primer. Hopefully start shooting on Thursday.
ajc5633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 04:25 PM   #7
Unretarded

1963 CJ5 

Here is good read on prep work.......http://www.mgexp.com/article/bodywor...prep-work.html

It is gunna cost more and take longer than you thought...plan ahead!
Unretarded is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.