Paint the motor in the Jeep or leave it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Paint the motor in the Jeep or leave it?

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8Steinjager TJ tube doors

View Poll Results: Motor Painting Options
Paint it in place and hope for the best 6 15.00%
Wait until I can pull the motor to be sure I do it right 34 85.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 03-04-2009, 01:43 PM   #1
danheit
1979 CJ7 

Paint the motor in the Jeep or leave it?

So I am to a point in which it is time to start making the 304 look pretty. Right now it is desperately in need of a cleaning and paint. My question here though, is this: I don't have an engine hoist, and honestly don't want to pull the motor at this point as I am getting ready to move again (moving to a new town for work). If I pull the headers, is it worth it trying to paint the motor in the engine compartment, or should I just leave it like it is until I can pull it and get to it better. If you would paint it where it lies, what extra precautions and prep would you suggest? Definately want to clean up the headers. Sadly enough, I was thinking of going with either a Chevy Orange and black accessories, or stick with the stock AMC blue. This will all be done spray can style, so any product suggestions would be greatly appreciated as well. Also, Just FYI, I have Edelbrock aluminum intake and valve covers that will get pulled and polished, so they won't be an issue. This will just be painting the block, heads, timing cover (if I can get the dang distributor free!), and maybe some accessories.

Build Thread: 1979 CJ7 Blue Jeep
danheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2009, 02:17 PM   #2
flaugher
1979 CJ7 

I would personally pull it whenever you get a chance and clean/ prep it really good before paining... Thats what I plan to do someday far in the future but then again I do not have a pretty jeep and therefore having a pretty engine is not yet a priority for me.
Unread 03-04-2009, 02:20 PM   #3
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

Leave it alone. Trust me, there is so many bad things that can happen, that you don't need when you're moving and changing jobs.....
Unread 03-04-2009, 02:50 PM   #4
danheit
1979 CJ7 

Man, you guys suck! I was hoping everyone was going to say, "Oh yeah! Just pull the headers and spray a little Chebby Orange on there, it'll look great and work like a charm!" So far everybody except one person has said to leave it alone until I can do it right...

Unread 03-04-2009, 02:59 PM   #5
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danheit View Post
So far everybody except one person has said to leave it alone until I can do it right...
Yeah, it's unusual to get good advice on the internet....
Unread 03-04-2009, 03:02 PM   #6
danheit
1979 CJ7 

I know it's good advice, but I was surely hoping that I could do it the quick and easy way, even though I know it isn't the proper way to do it, Ah well, better off waiting anyways. Gives me time to pick out colors a little better too. I have been thinking about a Corvette Yellow for the motor as well... Keep in mind that the motor will be open to the public with no inner fenders used.

Unread 03-04-2009, 03:10 PM   #7
redline562
1999 TJ Wrangler 

quick and easy usually means there is more work to come nothing is really quick and easy
redline562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2009, 03:22 PM   #8
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

Well I voted to wait and do it right. But, are the fenders off the Jeep. If so you could get to alot of it and clean it up and then paint in place. Just be sure it's high temp. paint though. Would be even easier if the whole front clip was off. Then you would just need to cover anything you did not want paint on and have at it. It's an idea at least.

77' CJ-7 84' CJ-7 83' Chevy K10
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2009, 04:01 PM   #9
danheit
1979 CJ7 

Yeah, fenders are off for good, hood and radiator are loose and can be easily removed with one bolt. Headers will come off to paint, wiring will come off the motor, small brackets, intake carb, etc. will be removed. My biggest issue in painting it in place would be not being able to paint the back side of the motor.

Unread 03-04-2009, 06:32 PM   #10
OCDWheeler
1982 CJ7 

I have a lot more respect for clean and functional versus painted in place......I vote to wait until the engine comes out, then you can thoroughly clean/paint the engine, firewall, etc. with a good no excuse job.....
Kids
OCDWheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2009, 08:43 AM   #11
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danheit View Post
Yeah, fenders are off for good, hood and radiator are loose and can be easily removed with one bolt. Headers will come off to paint, wiring will come off the motor, small brackets, intake carb, etc. will be removed. My biggest issue in painting it in place would be not being able to paint the back side of the motor.
AHHH, I did not think about the back side of the engine. Poor on my part. I think your best bet would to just paint brackets, intake, valve cover, etc., and just clean up the bay the best you can. Then when you pull the engine it can get a good paint job. Just a suggestion for you on the headers. Instead of painting them what about using header wrap? Seems like anytime I've paint headers the paint always just burns off.

77' CJ-7 84' CJ-7 83' Chevy K10
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2009, 09:58 AM   #12
my84cj7

You're going to think I'm crazy but for your hoses and hard to tape up parts, go get you some cheap aluminum foil at the dollar store and use that to wrap up your hard to get to parts and that will save you alot of time. Of course also get you some good 3m tape to tape around the foil and bases of the wires and other grommets. You will be surprised how good this works.
my84cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2009, 12:02 PM   #13
genghisman
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I vote wait. I'm going to wait on the block on mine until I can pull it and do it right. I've started painting the removable stuff, such as my valve cover, in the color I want, but won't finish the rest until I pull it completely. I've gone with the Chevy orange and black look. It actually looks pretty good. I'm doing the engine block, engine head, valve cover, oil pan all in chevy orange. All the other parts will be gloss black, to include the fire wall.
genghisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2009, 01:00 PM   #14
VACJ5
1991 YJ Wrangler 

paint it... run it... then cover it all up with mud anyway... it is not a resto project, it is a cj/yj on 38's!

BeachMetalWorks Custom CNC cut Jeep parts & more
VACJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2009, 05:42 PM   #15
ivaskaj
2006 TJ Wrangler 

If it's bothering you that much, just give it a thorough cleaning. Pull off the valve covers and intake and paint/polish them. Wait til you feel like pulling the engine to paint it all, it will be much easier. Don't make the same mistake I made, and assume soap and water would get it clean enough to paint....

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.