Paint for Fiberglass question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Paint for Fiberglass question

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 05-09-2013, 10:03 AM   #1
stvincnt
1979 CJ5 

Paint for Fiberglass question

I have a 79 cj5 fiberglass tub and am sick of battling oxidation and spending a day buffing it every few months, I would like to paint it and just get it over with. I've already lightly sanded it and would like to know how else to prep it and which kind of paint should i use. My plan is to strip all hardware and accessories and take it to a shop
Thanks in advance

stvincnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 10:19 AM   #2
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I don't think there's much difference from painting a metal tub.

Scuff the surface, clean it with a wax and grease remover, then spray it with a couple of coats of epoxy primer. Lightly sand the primer, if necessary, then spray your base coat followed by 2-3 coats of clear.

I think standard automotive paint works. Someone correct me, if I'm wrong.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 10:40 AM   #3
hutch1200
1979 CJ7 

What are you buffing w/now?
I use this on my boat, but the color is gel-coated a few (22?) mm thick. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shine-Restor...fffe6e&vxp=mtr
Once every spring keeps the colors sharp all summer long.
I wanted to clear coat it but I was told the colors would fade underneath it. But Corvettes get cleared, so maybe my painter didn't want all that work. Or worse, me HELPING him!
0728121325.jpg  
Unread 05-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #4
stvincnt
1979 CJ5 

I was using several different brands, I liked 3m's product the best but in this florida sun none of them would truly last more than 3 -4 months.
I've already rough sanded the surface so there is no turning back
stvincnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 01:41 PM   #5
FishinMagician
1986 CJ7 

Not sure on the paint, but if you check out TCPGlobal.com, I'm sure they can help. They have an excellent helpline you can call with any questions you have.
FishinMagician is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 03:21 PM   #6
Nereussailor
1984 CJ7 

I used PPG 2 stage automotive paint. The Florida sun is killing my clear coat too, but it's been on for 14 years and never been in a garage. I think that's a pretty good life for the clearcoat. I will probably spray a couple of extra coats the next time around. I'll use the same paint and clearcoat again. There's probably been a lot of advancements in paint since I did mine.
Unread 05-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #7
ramjett
1970 CJ5 

Check with your local paint dealer. Epoxy isn't made for plastics or Fiberglas . Usually sanding ,the right chemical wipe and sealer ,then paint is the way to go. Some dealer stress a bought warranty on boats especially if its left in the water. The paint needs to breath.
ramjett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #8
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I used a lacquer based high build primer with a single stage satin finish paint, including hardener. Went on very well. Looked wonderful. Been on about a year. You can scrape it off with your fingernail! Don't know whether it was cheap paint (it was...), because no way will I agree I did a poor job of prep! Also a '79 CJ5. As the guys mentioned, you need to use a wax and grease remover before painting. But if you are going to have a shop do the work, I wouldn't worry about it. They will know what to do.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 10:30 PM   #9
hutch1200
1979 CJ7 

sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvincnt View Post
I was using several different brands, I liked 3m's product the best but in this florida sun none of them would truly last more than 3 -4 months.
I've already rough sanded the surface so there is no turning back
We have 3 months of sun and use. You have it the other way around. Yeah...I get 3-4 months. Should have looked at where you were. My bad.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.