Painless Wiring Harness Install Project - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Painless Wiring Harness Install Project

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 02-04-2013, 08:04 AM   #1
scjarena
1979 CJ5 

Painless Wiring Harness Install Project

I’ve started the install of the Painless 10110 harness in my 79 CJ with original 258. Are there any good links on this forum for discussions about this painless wire install? First question if have is, in the install manual, it says to use existing wires for the stock ignition module and distributor. Do I need to take apart the existing harness to remove the wires between the module and distributor, or is it basically only the connectors? Thanks

scjarena is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 08:48 AM   #2
hutch1200
1979 CJ7 

Don't get overwhelmed. The harness is basically 3 sections. Concentrate on 1 wire at a time as you lay it out. That's all the advice I have for ya. I can splice a 900 pair Telco cable blindfolded (OK maybe NOT)....but I was intimidate when I opened the box. Lay out 1 circuit, over top of/near the old, and make 1 connection @ a time.
Good Luck, keep us posted. And maybe pics (like I shoulda done) for the next guy!
Unread 02-05-2013, 07:50 AM   #3
scjarena
1979 CJ5 

Yeah, Iím a little overwhelmed, but Iíll just have to take my time and study the wire diagrams.

My 79 CJ has the two wires on the solenoid and the coil tests at 1.7 ohms, so I assume itís a ballasted coil, but I donít see a ballast resister anywhere on the old harness, did these Jeeps originally have a resister wire? Thanks
Unread 02-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
Tigerjeep79

1979 CJ7 

Yes, the '79 has a resistor wire. I don't remember if the Painless kit addresses that or not. I threw all that stuff out anyway, since I'm running a DUI distributor.

I used up two weekends to install the whole kit, and that was with REALLY taking my time. One weekend probably would have been fine. If you don't mind some advice, what really helped me was to flip the windshield down and pull the dash up the steering column a ways, secured by bungee cords. That gave good access for that part of the job. I hate working under a dash, especially in a Jeep.

Do one section at a time (there are three) and don't cut corners. Use solder on "solderless" terminals and connectors. Use expensive electrical tape and heat-shrink tubing. Route the wires carefully before cutting, or you may have to splice them when you decide on a different route. A clean harness is a lovely sight to behold.

Now, my battery charges just fine (even with the lights on!) and I have turn signals and even back-up lights. Strange!

If you do it right the first time, you'll never regret it.

And take pictures! I regret that I didn't.
Tigerjeep79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 08:06 AM   #5
scjarena
1979 CJ5 

I'm making a little progress, I've got most of the wiring under the hood hooked up.

Anyone know how to hook up the neutral safety switch into the painless harness? Manual isn't very clear about it.

Thanks

Last edited by scjarena; 02-08-2013 at 09:50 AM..
Unread 02-19-2013, 07:22 AM   #6
scjarena
1979 CJ5 

Got everything hooked up and tested the circuits with a low amp 12V and all the lights worked. Hooked up the battery and engine fired right up. Only glitches are oil press gauge not working, so Iíll have to trouble shoot the sender and gauge. Iíll need to replace the light switch because when the dash lights go on and off if I wiggle the switch. Overall it wasnít a bad install. Only complaint I would have is the Painless wiring tech guy I talked to and emailed didnít seem to know what he was talking about as far as this wiring install on the jeep and changes to wiring diagrams in the manual that havenít been updated yet, so I just had to spend the extra time to study wiring diagrams myself and make sure it was hooked up right.
Unread 02-19-2013, 07:27 AM   #7
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Great! post picture.

You should of started a post covering your step by step progress.

also, the CJ5 never had a NSS
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 08:55 AM   #8
scjarena
1979 CJ5 

I'll post some pics when I get chance. I could have done some pics step by step, but this job has been somewhat organized chaos. lol I'm new to Jeeps so I first I didn't know if it had a NSS or not.
Unread 02-19-2013, 11:14 AM   #9
Tigerjeep79

1979 CJ7 

My only problem after the install was exactly like yours (oil pressure gauge didn't work). Since I'm kinda dumb in the electrical department, I replaced the sender and gauge with new ones, thinking that would do the trick. It didn't.

So, being electrically dumb, I installed a mechanical gauge from Napa and forgot the whole thing.

I wonder if there's a glitch there in the Painless harness...
Tigerjeep79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 08:20 AM   #10
scjarena
1979 CJ5 

Here are a couple pics. I didn't take many pics during the install. Please excuse the dirty old engine. I ended up moving the ignition module to the passenger side. I had to rework this harness more than I thought I would have to.

I haven't tried the troubleshoot the oil pressure gauge and I'm really curious about the possibility that there might be something wrong with the harness, since I've heard of a couple other people with nonworking oil press gauge with the painless harness.

Unread 02-28-2013, 10:22 AM   #11
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Do these harnesses have firewall connectors?

I bet they got the terminals in the wrong places and don't match
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 10:46 AM   #12
scjarena
1979 CJ5 

It has a large firewall feed through connector similar to the original, but not interchangeable. I thought I did read somewhere of some of the painless harnesses not being "pinned" correctly across that connector, so that is possible.
Unread 04-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #13
skidmark62

It seems pretty clean, Couple questions I have is the bulkead connector on the firewall. is that completely replaced by the painless set up. My Jeep is a 75 but the original engine was removed by the owner chopping the wires right off the bulkhead connector. Im putting a fuel injected engine in and having the harness made for it. but that dosent cover the rest of the jeep, I was looking at the painless to overcome this obstical. any suggestions. thanks .
skidmark62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 12:54 PM   #14
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmark62 View Post
It seems pretty clean, Couple questions I have is the bulkead connector on the firewall. is that completely replaced by the painless set up. My Jeep is a 75 but the original engine was removed by the owner chopping the wires right off the bulkhead connector. Im putting a fuel injected engine in and having the harness made for it. but that dosent cover the rest of the jeep, I was looking at the painless to overcome this obstical. any suggestions. thanks .
Bulkhead connector come with the Painless kit, so you'll get a brand new one.
hasselback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 10:44 PM   #15
eak0703
1984 CJ7 

Any chance you could post a few more pictures? Interested in seeing where the red/white "power" wire goes. Also it would be useful to see what goes to your coil and alternator. Thanks in advance!
eak0703 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.